Horrible 7950 Performance

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by TheGivingTree, Jan 16, 2013.

1. TheGivingTree

TheGivingTree Active Member

hi, I am hoping someone here can help me. I recently purchased a MSI HD 7950 and I overclocked it to 1020/1575 and I am still getting very poor performance. Running Witcher 2 on below high settings it is still stuttering and hitching on me. Where as I read that with an OC 7950 it would run ULTRA flawlessly yet I can't even run High well. Also when I ran the Kmark test..about 5 times I would get x1767 which is about the same score people are getting on a gtx570. I'm not sure what I could be doing wrong, any help or advice would be appreciated. I am running 12.11 CAP2.

intel I-5 3750k 3.4
    8g of Ram
    MSI radeon HD 7950 OC twin frozer
    750watt Corsair TX
    Win 8

Thank you.

2. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Did you remove all drivers blah blah blah, everything before you installed new card? I mean, did you do it the right way? Remove em, go into safe mode.. driver sweeper, CCleaner, reboot.. put in new card, etc etc etc.

If that is not relevant, then the only thing to do would be to do a fresh OS install. Or try to do it again.

Otherwise, when you're in game, have you checked what the clocks are at? To double check that they're not set in some 2d clock mode or whatever. You can do it with either MSI Ab or GPU-z, double-check everything. And btw yes, everything on ultra in witcher 2 without supersampling - you should have 999fps, so yeah.. Cause I played it a while ago so.

It's most likely just some software/registry/driver issue so should be easily fixable, just look into it. :)

Btw, something very important, it might be that it's an unstable OC, for me to have 1000+ mhz I need to add a bit of voltage.

Are you currently using default voltage, and if so, can you please download MSI Afterburner and tell me what it is? And we'll carry on from there.

For a start you can increase the Power Limit in AB to +20%, that should help with the stability.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  3. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    Make sure that you run at stock clocks when you get to troubleshooting again. Remove unneeded variables as it would be hard to deal with 2 problems happening at once.

DeathChild wrapped it up pretty nicely.

4. TheGivingTree

It shouldn't be the drivers because I installed the card and the catalyst drivers with a fresh installation of windows 8 since I had nothing installed on it. I did however update the catalyst from 12.10 to the 12.11 beta drivers but this problem persisted even with 12.10.

What would be an ideal mv setting for OC at 1100/1575? I was using about 1.85v

ok, so set Power limit to 20% and leave mv at default?

5. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    1.85V for what? o_O

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    run it at stock and see if the problem persists, overclocking too far can have detrimental effects on fps. 1.85v?

7. TheGivingTree

well I mean 1850mV which translate into 1.85v right or did I misread it?

8. VladM

VladM Member

GPU:
    MSI R 7970 Lightning
    Maybe it's 1185mV.

9. PNeV

PNeV Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    My 1100/1575 is 1056 but don't take that for granted. Just fully uninstall your old drivers and if needed find ATIMAN Uninstaller 7.0.2 to clean up some junk.

10. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Just remove all ****, remove drivers, have CCleaner in your PC, Driver Sweeper or some other driver removing software, reboot into safe mode, run Driver Sweeper then CCleaner, then reboot again into normal Windows and fresh reinstall 12.11 beta11 drivers with cap2.

After that, don't do any OC, just play a game and see how it is, I mean, play Witcher2, it should run 999fps even with stock clocks without supersampling, so try that out.

It should be fine.. if not, well then somethings not right, but it should be ok.

He definitely meant 1.185v, for a voltage like that you could have 1100++ speeds. 1.8v and the card would burn up.

For me for example I need 1.174v to run 1100/1500 speeds.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013

11. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 xc ultra
    I also have a 3570k and im running it woth a 7970. Trust me get msi afterburner use the built in riva tuner to limit the frames to 60. I have it launch with windows and run it with every game it takes away most of the stuttering. Almost makes every games smoother.

12. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 xc ultra
    also you have the 12.11 cap files installed?

13. TheGivingTree

Yes I have Cap 2, and thanks for all the help. I will try uninstalling all my old drivers and do a fresh install and see if that helps. I will also try setting my voltage to 1.174 and see if that helps when I OC again.

Out of curiosity what do you get when you run Kmark on Kombuster Deathchild?

14. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You mean fps?

Lemme check. Running MSIKombustorDX11.exe I get 35 fps with 1100/1500. Btw, all cards are different so it may require less voltage. But yeah, you can try for example 1.162v and 1100/1500 and see how that goes, set +20% power limit as well in afterburner, if it artifacts/hangs, increase the voltage by +10-20, so to 1.174v for example or whatever it gives you there, and try again. If it doesn't hang/artifact in Kombustor, then the OC is ok, after that move on to testing that in a heavy graphics game like Crysis 2 or BF3 or whatever where the gpu load is high.

But first you should of course check how it works out with stock clocks, see what the fps is and so on in Witcher 2 as well, since you should still have 999fps there even with stock clocks with no supersampling.

Also, definitely check your temps as well, make sure you try to keep them under about 70C at least. As long as temps are fine the voltage can be raised to 1.25v safely for 24/7 use in gaming and OCing (but 1.2v is a bit more friendly and I would recommend that, currently I myself right now I'm running 1100/1500 @ 1.174v, and it's perfectly fine).

First what you should do is, see how far you can reach with no voltage tweaking. Set powerlimit to +20% in AB and increase the clocks by 50, if it artifacts/hangs, increase voltage by +20mV, so from 1.093v (my stock default voltage) to 1.113v and then try again, if nothing happens, it's time to increase those clocks again, if artifacts/hangs, increase another +20mV to 1.133v and try again, rinse and repeat.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  15. TheGivingTree

Ok I uninstalled, ran ccleaner and driver sweeper, then reinstalled 12.11. My frames are slightly better now but nothing huge. Witcher 2 though runs alright but if I try to OC it crashes, saying Displayer driver has stopped responding I am assuming that is due to the OC.

One more thing, when I had it set at 1100/1575 and I did a stress test the temps would run up to about 86c isnt that a bit extreme?

16. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Where did you see these temps? In Afterburner or GPUz? That is too much, yes, as I said try to keep it under 73C or something, it's very important, a card can get unstable at high temperatures, above 80C definitely. Although some reference cards have inherently high temperatures anyway and are ok with that.

If the temperatures are too high, make an aggressive fan profile in Afterburner, set it to
    user defined, then in settings tweak the fan profile so that the fan speed would go up as the card gets hotter. It depends on what normal temperatures are for this card, you should run a quick scan about that as well with google for example. Read some reviews and see what temps they got for the card when OC'ed and how much of an OC they even achieved.

Witcher2 will be really smooth even @ stock clocks, so it should be fine. Also, download 3dmark11 and run that, do "benchmark tests only". And see what the graphics score is. Keep me posted. :)

17. blackmancer

blackmancer Member

GPU:
    Powercolor 7950 PCS+
    In Afterburner or CCC there is a power limit setting. push that to +20 and continue overclocking as per normal. I thought my 7950 was buggered until I realised that setting. hope this helps

18. TheGivingTree

After messing around with the core/memory speeds and voltage I am able to run 1020/1382 at 1.031mv with the Witcher 2 and War for Cybertron running without crashing and pretty well minus ultra settings on Witcher.

Just a bit underwhelmed is all I suppose, after doing so much research on video cards, and seeing people with extremely high benchmarks on the 7950 I was expecting much more.

19. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Something's not right. In Witcher 2 you're supposed to have very smooth gameplay (without supersampling), do you have that?

Also, if you would do a 3dmark11 benchmark run ("benchmark tests only"), we could see what the score is and what we're dealing with here. It would help out a lot.

The 1020/1382 OC that you have is a very mild OC, it's pretty small. A more decent and standard one is 1100/1500 speeds for example. That's what I'm running with and a lot of people. With this I get 10k graphics score in 3dmark11 for example, so you should also check what you get right now with those 1020/1382 clocks.

Don't be disappointed, that card has a lot of potential. :)

We could set you up with 1100/1500 speeds, but it will require some looking into from your side, and if you would allow me to help you out with this.

20. TheGivingTree

Alright I am downloading it now. Reason I was avoiding it was my internet is extremely slow. Anyhow when I was running with a higher OC, the witcher kept crashing on me, saying AMD display stopped responding. Or I would get the GSOD. Also one more odd thing would happen, during game play or stress testing. It would lock up and I would ctrl alt delete and close down the program and anything I ran after that was super slow, like 10-20fps. So I would have to restart the computer and it would run properly again, any idea what that is?

I am downloading 3dmark11 right now and I will tell you the results shortly, and thanks for the help.