Horizon Zero Dawn

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 16, 2015.

1. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    So which mode is best for visual fidelity? Resolution mode?

2. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3050 Ti
    Ah ok, maybe i will run performance mode then, i prefer graphical enhancements over resolution. :D

Can't wait, imagine how clean the image would look on my TV as the 1080p version already looks stunning.

3. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    How's it running on the old ps4?

4. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon Graphics
    I can't comment on the standard PS4, but I do know it runs very, very well on it minus the Supersampling.

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Why?

I have a Pro on a 1080p TV and the difference between Prefer Performance and Prefer Resolution is practically none existent as far as I can tell in terms of framerate but you lose the downsampling from 2160p checkerboard rendering if you opt for Performance. The downsampling actually further reduces distant texture shimmering and other artifacts giving the game an astoundingly crisp look to it.

Digital Foundry did an indepth performance analysis of the game and found that it held its 30 fps target framerate for 99.9% of the time, usually dipping in cutscenes, I believe.

Of course, you could argue that the downsampling is not that noticeable on a 1080p either since the game already uses an excellent temporal and post-process AA method.

It's nice to have the choice between performance or framerate, I guess, but Horizon Zero Dawn's implementation on the Pro is the first in which I struggle to tell the difference between the two as they both seem to run the same. The game runs so smoothly anyway that I cannot detect any 1 fps drops. :)

6. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3050 Ti
    Very good, haven't noticed any performance issues, maybe a very little on a boss fight but there were looots of special effects going on but overall runs very good.

7. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3050 Ti
    Call me stupid but the art style is very similar to Destiny i have to say.

8. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    As far as I know from Digital Foundry's analysis, the enhancements in Horizon Zero Dawn arise from the game running on the Pro - higher anisotropic filtering for one - over the base PS4. These enhancements are still present in Prefer Resolution mode and all Prefer Performance does is smooth out the odd 1 fps framerate drops to 29 fps giving essentially a completely locked solid 30 fps experience.

Most people are not going to notice these 1 fps drops so, IMO, you are better opting for the extra supersampling which, as I said above, gives an even crisper and less shimmery image to what is already an incredible looking game.

Digital Foundry article here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-horizon-zero-dawn-ps4-pro-performance-analysis

9. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon Graphics
    According to various internet sources the game cost over 45 million Euro's, and took over 6 years to make with a peak of 250 staff.

10. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Tried it for 1hr before I had to go to bed and so far it's exactly what I've hoped for. It looks absolutely amazing, i mean wow, there are no words to describe the absolutely brilliant graphics. The animations, the music, the world, the voice overs and in-game cinematics are top quality. Next is game play which I've not really come across yet but I truly recommend this to anyone with a PS4.

Regarding Performance mode vs Resolution Mode I feel that there is a difference since Resolution mode seems crispier and slightly more detailed.

Anyone with a Pro noticed that the unit revs up sometimes? I thought it would run louder but it's fairly quiet (more quiet than when running FFXV) though sometimes the fans start getting pretty loud and then clams done after a short while.

That's an insane budget! Luckily they only need to sell 750k copies to break even :) And I'm sure they'll manage to do that, though hopefully they'll sell way more than that.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017

11. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    Bought it last night after the long dramatic debate I had here. Glad I did. Fantastic game, all my worries were for nothing. This is a key game to show off my PS4 Pro in the 4k. I can't help but wonder how much better sales of hardware would have been if they debuted next to the Pro? Regardless, great game. I went from being completely hyped for Zelda, to now thinking I will finish this first before I move to that.

12. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    I watched every digitalfoundry tech Analysis :D.

I am with you on this one! As soon as I will be home, I will Change it back to resolution mode.

BTW, I think I heard something about some FPS mode patch for the PRO?

13. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3050 Ti
    Will there be DLC in the future? cause theres no season pass for it if i recall.

Would be a damn shame...

EDIT: Looks like they will make more games:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  14. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    Hello. Just starting. A ps4 pro owner should choose which setting? Favor resolution?

15. A49ER08

A49ER08 Member Guru

GPU:
    evgaRtx3080XC3Ultra
    amazon finally shipped my copy today, it's at home

but I'm at work :(

16. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon Graphics
    Leave it on favor performance. Favor resolution makes it look a little bit burly at distances.

17. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3050 Ti
    All outfits, wish there were more though:

18. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
    I'm about 5 hours in and loving it so far, it's not without its issues though, sometimes the facial animations and lip sync look truly horrible, other than that's it's been amazing, one of the few games recently that's actually made me care about the characters/story.

19. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
  20. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    A dozen hours in now at level 12. I've done my first Tallneck and explored the ruins of a old city. I'm still in complete awe of how good this game looks and runs. In fact the only real criticism I have is with some of Aloy's animation specifically the jarring transition when using the bow and her jumping animations, which look a bit naff as you (as she) tries to traverse rocks and other obstacles. Also, the game might be open but I've encountered a few immersion-breaking "Can't explore further" warnings while exploring and climbing the mountains. They really should have made the areas non-accessible so it was obvious to the player without the need to display a warning. In the early stages I also got a few warnings that I'd be reset to the last save point if I continued in the direction I was going.

Nothing game breaking but in a game with this level of polish and imbeccableness (is that a word?) they do stand out. Magnificent game though. Without a doubt. And Zelda: Breath of the Wild tomrrow. Best week for gaming in years! :D