Horizon Forbidden West Complete Edition - PC

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Horus-Anhur, Sep 13, 2023.

1. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    I would love if Gran Turismo came to PC. Definitely the racing sim series I've enjoyed most over the years though I've not played the more recent entries. I found Forza had more polished/nicer menus and Forza 4 I recall having a good campaign structure, but I just felt the actual gameplay "driving" part felt better in GT6 for example. You could really feel the car suspension shift during turns for example I remember and other racing sims can sometimes feel kind of off where it's as though you're a box or camera floating on a track, there's just something not right in some of them in terms of game feel I find.

TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  2. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    I've yet to play it and looking forward to experiencing Forbidden West. I remember you giving this game kudos. It does look fantastic!

Undying and eGGroLLiO like this.
  3. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Agreed completely. I don't mind one bit if PC releases are delayed and come aways after the console release. No biggie, better to nail the port and get it right then push for a simultaneous release which is half baked. In particular the amount of games coming out with hard asset streaming/traversal stutter these days is doing my head in, drives me mad. How Rockstar staggered the RDR2 release was totally fine imo as an example.

4. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    You can basically skip to any point in this video and it will look amazing. Regardless of what you think about the game it is pretty.

5. Conan The Barbarian

Conan The Barbarian Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3060 12gb
    More console exclusives coming to PC. You can't complain about that.

6. TheDigitalJedi

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    Absolutely man. The UE4 stutter has plagued many games and I find it amazing how some developers can release an Unreal Engine 4 game without complications. UE5 is still kinda new and I pray they find more ways to get rid of traversal stuttering and hitching.

I truly hate to beat an old horse but I'm still baffled at the state of Jedi Survivor and how it was released. Now they're talking about releasing the game on previous gen consoles and a trilogy. Respawn need to finish fixing this one.

I'm gonna let this go and just continue to play how I've been playing. LOL! I've said this a million times and I'll say it again. Thank you @XenthorX for cracking the crash and performance code. Thank you @snight01 for saving us from epileptic seizures and blinding white flashes. I know many people here are not PureDark fans but for me personally, I paid the five bucks, used Xenthor's and Snight's .Pak files back and forth with DLSS/Framegen. @Carfax provided many tips to enhance performance also. Thanks to these community members my experience was awesome.

Respawn take notes! End/Rant. :p:D

GoldenTiger, snight01, Carfax and 2 others like this.
  7. TheDigitalJedi

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    Absolutely gorgeous. Believe it or not I've had this title forever. I just gotta get to it. Normally with major releases I'll put down a game to play it immediately. My problem is that I was playing catchup with another major release. Lol! :D

Maddness and Amaze like this.
  8. TheDigitalJedi

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    I'm ALL for it. I can remember a time when many of us were complaining about how awesome console titles would look and play on our hardware. 20+ years ago we didn't have this.

We're here now and it is fantastic.

9. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Alloy Minium is coming back to the PC. I'm very looking forward to it as the first game was fun.

10. TheDigitalJedi

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    You know what Bro. I have to give kudos to you also. Reading your post and troubleshooting many issues with ini tweaks has helped me and others tremendously. I've been back for awhile now and I've learned many new troubleshooting lessons while relearning knowledge forgotten. I'm starting to feel like my old 90's to mid 2000's self again. I remember coming back @Horus-Anhur had to remind me what an API was. @Horus-Anhur is another major force in these forums. A walking Encyclopedia. Thank you both.

I received so much help from many members. I'm very fortunate. @Slave2Games what's up man! :) I gotta checkout you and @bobnewels latest gameplay vids.

I'm going to open my copy of Forbidden West tonight. I want to get a feel of the PS5 version while looking forward to seeing it on PC.

11. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Somebody's CPU is getting killed with this

If it survived other Sony PC ports

12. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Cannot wait to play Forbidden West on PC!

13. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    So your 5000$ PC can bruteforce a few games from a 400$ console? Yay I guess. If this is your "PC advantage" not sure what else to tell you. Pretty much all games you listed have some sort of issues on PC. It just PC users usually tend to overlook issues. All you have to do is to watch DF video on patched up version of TLoU to know that it's still severely lacking. It still has shader compilation that takes forever, it still has shader stutter (just in different places now), it still has much longer loading times on PC, it still has various bugs and new patches even introduced new issues.

I bought a few early playstation ports to PC but now I don't even bother. Playing on PS5 is a much better experience without headaches and I can usually play these games years before PC.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2023
  14. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Maybe your poor PC gaming experience has to do with the fact that you have a CPU that is nearly 10 years old, according to your profile at least. PC gamers need to shed the expectations that older CPUs will run these newer games without issues, or better than current gen consoles. While that may have been true the last generation, it's no longer tenable due to the increased workloads that CPUs have and the unique decompression hardware that the consoles have which gives them an advantage against older CPUs.

In fact, PC gamers should be running their machines with a CPU that is at least Zen 3 capability or better if they want to have a successful gaming experience due to the higher overhead on the PC platform.

Having played the Last of Us Part 1 on my PC, it plays very well and is extremely optimized from what I saw with zero shader or traversal stuttering. The longer loading times can be attributed to copying data from storage into RAM and VRAM, which consequently helps to make the game run very smooth.

GoldenTiger and TheDigitalJedi like this.
  15. Conan The Barbarian

Conan The Barbarian Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3060 12gb
    giphy.gif

16. TheDigitalJedi

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    Our bro @Carfax has hit the nail on the head. According to your specifications you are not seeing the true potential of the 3080. The 3080 is still a powerhouse of a card and major player. I know because I owned it previously. It is being held back by your surrounding hardware. If you're speaking of strictly games by arguing bang for buck then I guess your PS5 choice makes sense for you. There is nothing wrong with that. My machines work for me while benefitting my needs in entertainment, professionally, educationally and financially.

The testing of games that I spoke of in my earlier post was mainly done on my previous setup. Not my current ones.

RTX 3090
    Intel 10900k
    Z490 Motherboard - Good Ole PCIE Gen 3
    64gb DDR4 3400mhz
    Samsung 980 Pro M.2 Nvme
    1000 Watt Gold rated PSU

This is still a heavyweight computer and the PS5 pales in comparison. It is really unfair. With or without DLSS, the games look better, have higher framerates while providing an all around better experience on PC after patches.

Your EVGA FTW3 3080 is a MONSTER! That card meant business!! PC gaming is expensive indeed but in truth, you could couple your card with a very modest mobo, cpu and ram upgrade to see an amazing performance increase that would dwarf your PS5. It's all about your budget and what's good for you. Let's not forget the 3080 and the 3090 were close in performance.

@Glottiz
    You've complained in multiple threads about problems and performance in games. My experiences on my previous setup are still stellar because of its balance in parts.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2023
    GoldenTiger and Carfax like this.
  17. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    PC gaming definitely isn't for everyone, but if you are going to criticize it, you need to have valid points; such as cost of entry, potential technical issues that you will have to troubleshoot, difficulty tuning and optimizing etcetera.. Console gaming has upsides and downsides as well obviously.

One big downside of console gaming is that the hardware can be outdated at launch (happened with both the PS4 and Xbox One as well as the XSX and PS5) compared to the latest and greatest PC hardware, and over the course of its life cycle, this weakness becomes more and more apparent as games become heavier and heavier. This is why 60 FPS is still not a standard on the PS5 and the XSX despite marketing claims during the launch period.

In fact, both the PS5 and XSX struggle mightily with games that are CPU heavy, like Baldur's Gate 3 in Act 3 and can't even maintain 30 FPS much less 60 FPS. Unlike asset decompression, A.I calculations can't be offloaded to specialized hardware. A.I routines also tend to be highly single threaded and branchy by nature, which favors the strong single threaded performance of modern CPUs.

You can expect that trend to worsen as the CPU burden increases in future games, culminating at the end of the console life cycle which is typically when more console gamers decide to bite the bullet and build a gaming PC.

GoldenTiger and TheDigitalJedi like this.
  18. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  19. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The port is in the best possible hands then and will avoid the terrible launch that Horizon: Zero Dawn had on PC but I must admit that I was surprised when Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart launched with issues. Granted, a lot of them were minor but it took Nixxes months to add the water ripple effect to the game when Ratchet or Rivet swim through water and there were other bugs too such as crashes when using DLSS3 frame generation, for me at least, as well as disappointing loading performance when using DirectStorage (although that might be down to Microsoft rather than Nixxes) resulting in slower loading than on PS5 even with SSDs that were faster.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2023
  20. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound