Homeschool? need some advice

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by senior98, Oct 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T1tan

T1tan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080
    im sure youll have great fun with homes chooling because youll be alone all day, every day with no friends to see. Pretty soon you will get more and more laid back about it, but I have a question. If you're mom is qualified to teach you, why cant she send you to a private school?

Its none of my business but it sounds more logical that you get a REAL education and not just sit in your living room reading books. Education is'nt all the books, but with a variety of teachers, you get a variety of views, opinions and experiences. You will have pracically 0% interactivity..

2. senior98

senior98 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    xfx 8800GT 512mb

whatever you say you're the experienced one and obviously have lots of experiences and have done lots of reasearch about home schooling and what
    it has to offer. :p

/sarcasm

fyi private school costs a bit more expensive than home schooling we have already looked into that. the fact of the matter is i am not getting ANY education by sitting in class with my grades (and alot others) in jeapordy because of the way things are and the way people teach there.

you dont have to be certified dude you just follow a curriculum and it is very interactive from who i have talked about home schooling and who i have met.
    and a couple of really good friends of mine are also home schooled and the curriculum i am looking at only takes about 3 hours a day (same with my other home schooled friends) so when i am done i can just hang out with them and then do what i do with my normal friends after school. so yea it is going to be hella boring and i will not learn a thing :)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2006
  3. serious1

serious1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    have you even looked at what homeschoolers learn? I have read 4 books in the last 2 years and i don't read in my spare time. you really have a set stereotype of people and i seriously doubt that you even get out your little world. based on your writing you seem to be an outcast and you come here to make fun of people who take their education seriously and who actually have friends. I really can't think of people who would get along with someone with an attitude like yours. The sad thing is you are going to help to get this thread that determines a kids education in life closed. do yourself a favor and pat yourself on the back if you attitude doesn't get in your way:)

4. SnipeFrenzy

SnipeFrenzy Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX660 / 2gb
    I dont just site at home or anything. I have friends that i go places with and i go to vacation's to like sea world and cedar point. just cause your home schooled doesnt mean your at home 24/7.

5. serious1

serious1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    ^well said.

6. senior98

senior98 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    xfx 8800GT 512mb
    yea i think it should be a successful change. let's please stop stereotyping though. the ignorance of some people are breathtaking

7. JACK4HIRE

JACK4HIRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 5870
    My children when homeschooled were heavily involved in the Scouts, gymnastics, martial arts, horseback riding, riflery etc. They were all on the local ski team as well. Hell I even certified them in pepper spray, the collapsible baton and control/defensive tactics. All you need for education is 3 hours a day if you think about it. In public school about 1/2 your time is wasted moving from class to class, taking attendance, eating lunch etc. If you remove those things alone school can be reduced by 2-3 hours a day. That also goes without the other wastes of time taught in public school. Elementary and high school children don't need to be taught social engineering B.S. or 'liberal arts'. That crap should be taught in college if someone wants to take the classes. Children and teens should learn the basics in school like basic/ advanced math, English, writing, the sciences, U.S. and world histories and languages. No wonder U.S. children are so far behind other countries when it comes to education. Our system wastes so much time on 'feeling classes' and not 'facts classes' that we have produced a generation of ignorant, selfish, entitlement minded retards who for the most part can't read or write English proficiently and who can't do basic math. They all know what 'bust a cap in your a**' means though. LOL.

8. serious1

serious1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    ^ thank you for backing up my point to senior that it IS possible to learn in 2-3 hours a day. that is the amount of time it took me and now that i am in college i feel that at least 25% of my time is wasted going over things that i already know so other students can be on the same page.

9. T1tan

T1tan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080
    by your avatar i can see you are a very successful man, to bad your mother isnt a qualified phys ed teacher. have fun bieng at home though!

10. serious1

serious1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    wow thats really low. you should really be ashamed of yourself.:(

11. JACK4HIRE

JACK4HIRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 5870
    Public school food certainly didn't help with senior98 weight problem that's for sure. I too have little use for weak, fat, out of shape people but it goes to show how childish you are when you attack a persons weight instead of their argument/ statements, loser.

12. T1tan

T1tan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080
    he asked for my advice, i gave it. Im being serious, people need to stop bieng lazy get off there ass and goto school. Do something.. not stay at home all day because he's looking for the easy way out. More and more Americans are turning into this hansome man, makes me sick to my stomach. The Europeans are probably laughing at us now..

13. T1tan

T1tan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080
    lol, do you need a shoulder to cry on? at school there are teams, programs that could help his hansomeness.. what sports will there be at home? World of Warcraft?

14. senior98

senior98 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    xfx 8800GT 512mb
    thanks for ****ing up my thread dude. All i asked was for some input, not jr high insults. How do you even know that is me in the damn avatar. Oh and stereotyping again are we? So now all fat people play world of warcraft? (which i don't )

15. Me Rock

Me Rock Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5770
    omg.... you insulted senior and his mother in the same breath....I find that quite mean. Who gives a **** about if someone is fat or skinny or whatever. That has nothing to do about homeschool. In public school, there is PE and sports if you wish. Even when you are in homeschool, you can still do sports. PE i find is just a waste of time. I get more excercise walking home where i live, thanks to the 2 miles of hilly terrain. That's just not a cool comment. Weight doesn't effect success in life and how good of a friend you can be.

16. Icebird

Icebird Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Supatitanman just earned himself a 3-day ban for going way, way over the line. Going personal in a debate like this is no fun.

17. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino Staff Member

GPU:
    old
    [​IMG]
    and for a good measure
    [​IMG]
    Grow up moran
    /I wonder if Mr. Handsome will post his pic

18. SamHughe

SamHughe Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTX (SLI)
    Well...home schooling or not, education in general, is a very serious business. I suggest you to do your homework before making such a critical decision which can dramatically affect your future. Regardless of what the ignorant bunch has been saying here in this thread, home schooling is a rapidly growing trend not only here in the States but also in lots of other countries. According to the Home School Legal Defense Association, there are approximately 1.6 to 2 million home schoolers in the United States.

You should really think about the pros and cons about home schooling before deciding anything.

The value of home schooling cannot be dismissed for some cases. For parents who want to avoid school bureaucracy and provide a safer environment for their children, home schooling may seem like a good alternative. There are some other situations that may warrant home schooling like if a student has special needs or the family lives in the middle of nowhere and kids have to spend 4 hours everyday just to get to the school and back. Are you sure your situation really fits into these categories? Or you just wanna escape the realities of your current school setting?

There are home school support groups that organize field trips, teaching co-ops and tutoring services so, it’s essential that you check the availability of such services in your area before you get into this adventure.

On the cons side, I have to agree with the people saying earlier about the social side of public schools. There is more of public education, other than the curriculum & instruction. You can substitute these two but, you can hardly replace the social experience. Public schools, says author/researcher Joel Spring in his book American Education, are all about learning to get along with others and learn a common morality and culture. The support groups will provide you with this but only to some extent. It’s not as good as you think to be amongst the people who are just like you. You need to learn living harmoniously with the ones who are very different than you.

Another issue that you should know is, the majority (NOT ALL OF THEM) of the people who supports home schooling are fundamentalist Christians. So radical that they can’t stand the idea of their children going to same schools with the people who don’t share the same enthusiasm about religion as they do. Home School Legal Defense Association’s own survey showed that 49% of homeschoolers reported religion as the main reason why they are home schooling. If you’re not one of them, get ready to be contacted by these people eventually, one way or another, probably through the support groups.

Finally the biggest issue of home schooling is, critics say (and I agree), the parent’s competence as a teacher. It may not seem so by the looks of your under-paid, burnt-out public school teachers but still, it takes a lot of time and effort to become a teacher. I’m sure your mom is a very intelligent person with determination and good intentions but unfortunately that still doesn’t qualify her as a teacher. Knowing about something is very different that knowing about how to teach something. Most likely scenario would be you both start very enthusiastic then after a while, you start falling behind and not following your curriculum since there is no pressure and only person you need to answer to is your mom and your mom won’t be able to put you back in track since she’s not trained for this and… well since you’re his son. In the comfort of your own home, it will become harder and harder to keep up with the deadlines. There will be always “I’ll do it tomorrow!”

I'm not saying home schooling bad even though I personally wouldn't recommend. So, please think twice and research these issues before you decide.

Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to share my two cents. :bigsmile:

19. KoncreteAngel

KoncreteAngel Master Guru

GPU:
    1800xt 512mb
    If you homeschool you wont get the necessary social skills you need for a good life. Worst decision you can make.

20. JACK4HIRE

JACK4HIRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 5870
    P.E. in public school? Your kidding right? Public schools have had to cut general P.E. time so they can teach the children of today how to pass the standardized tests needed for graduation. Today 50% of seniors can’t pass the reading and grammar portion of the test and 75% can’t pass the math portion. Funny thing is a 9th grader from my generation could pass the graduation tests of today. My home schooled 12 y/o can run 10 – 7.5 minute miles. My 10 y/o son isn’t so much a runner he is more of a sprinter but he can knock out a 100 push-ups and 25 pull-ups at the drop of a hat. He also loves rock climbing. My 8 y/o daughter is an accomplished gymnast and already rides horses like a pro. Until last year she could whip my eldest daughter and my son (much to their embarrassment) and neither of them are inexperienced fighters. Last year she got into it with a 10 y/o neighbor boy twice her size and weight and ended up breaking his nose and then choking him out (I never should have taught her that, my bad). All my children have been certified by me in pepper-spray, the collapsible baton and control and defensive tactics. The 12 and 10 y/o is a crack shots with a rifle, the 8 y/o can’t hit the broad side of a barn but we’re working on that. The 12, 10 and 8 y/o also speak semi- fluent Italian and Spanish. They can all play the piano as well. In home school we were done with the 3 R’s in 3 hours which gave us time to do 1-2 hours of P/T and other training per day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.