Homefront + Underscan = FAIL

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Kaerar, May 27, 2011.

1. Kaerar

Kaerar Master Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    Dunno why but no matter what driver I use from 10.12 to current, beta or non-beta, I keep having Homefront unable to cope with underscan. At Native resolution it is underscanned by about 8% (according to CCC) and flickers like anything. Dropping resolution to 1600x900 removes the flickering but the Underscan still occurs.

Any way to disable Under/Overscan from happening?

2. Scyphe

Scyphe Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon 7950@1150/1700
    Are you playing on a telly or something since you have an under/overscan problem?

3. Kaerar

Kaerar Master Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    Nope Samsung BX2450 1080p 24" monitor. Only game that does it, keeps resetting the value in CCC every time I run the damn game. It's kept me from playing it since release and I've only just got around to have time to fix it...

4. BENtayan89

BENtayan89 Active Member

GPU:
    ATI Sapphire 5770 Vapor-X
    dont waste ur time fixing homefront
    its SP only last 3 hours
    not worth spending the time just to play a 3-hours SP of Homefront

5. Kaerar

Kaerar Master Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    LOL, SP isn't my bag for FPS's. Hasn't been a good SP FPS in years (not since Return to Castle Wolfenstein), I'm just wanting to have a bash at MP since a friend of mine who was average at CoD Black Ops and MW said he was really good with Homefront. I'm assuming it's due to the large head hitboxes and that Sniping is the gameplay rather than a bit more tactical.

Plus it bugs me when I don't have something working :D

6. FDisk

FDisk Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX970 OC 4GB
    It's underscanned because your refrash rate is changing. Change to the same refresh rate as the game in the CCC before you run the game and fix the underscan.

7. Kaerar

Kaerar Master Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    I have been. Refresh is 60 for Desktop, 60 for game. No matter what I change (including matching desktop settings beforehand and resetting the underscan to 0% for that resolution) Homefront keeps making CCC reset that setting. No idea why...

Tried using the ATI GPU Scaling fix (no effect), tried most combinations of the different available checkboxes. Only Homefront has this problem and only Homefront keeps resetting it and not accepting the setting.

BTW I'm using an DVI to HDMI cable, in HDMI Port 2 (same occurs in Port 1). It's gonna get to the point I'll have to see if it occurs off the VGA port soon...

8. ibitato

ibitato Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870X2+4870 1GB on S T260
    use 3dooverrider, enable triplebuffer and vsync

disable vsync in game and in ccc

worth a try

9. FDisk

FDisk Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX970 OC 4GB
    This will accomplish absolutely nothing.

What you can try is this:
    Underscan fix. http://www.oshinetworks.com/ATI_Underscan_Fix.2.1.zip

Edit: Fixed link to the tray version.

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  10. Kaerar

Kaerar Master Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    Thanks FDisk, much appreciated :)

Bugger didn't work. Gonna not worry about it and wait for new card!!!

Last edited: May 27, 2011

11. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    Hm, I'm still on 10.10. Works great and I see no reason to update to newer drivers, until I get a 6950.
    I don't have the flickering in homefront.
    I did add the following line to launchoptions in steam "-onethread -d3d9" but that's all.
    Aliasing and AF off, the rest at very high@1920x1080 gives me between 75 and 90fps in multiplayer.
    Singleplayer gives over a 100 fps all maxed out, but that's with my E8500 cpu.
    And not very important since the sp campaign is short and uninspiring.

12. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    why arent you using dvi-dvi

is there a change between dx9 vs dx11 homefront?

edit: ok so... this monitor... is hdmi & vga only!? :eek:neeye:

13. Kaerar

Kaerar Master Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    @FDisk only reason I'm running newer drivers is to get fixes for Shift 2. I'm tempted to go back to 10.10 as that was the last one I had no issues with at all, then get the latest with my new card.

I can't run dx11 kn00tcn...

14. keromyaou

keromyaou Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Titan SC x2
    I don't know about Home Front because I don't have this game. But I did have underscan problems about crysis and crysis warheads with my HD5870 crossfire system. After I searched for the solution on the internet. I found this link (http://www.overclock.net/amd-ati/444892-driver-issue-card-wont-run-crysis.html). I followed the second solution of pslord in the forum (the one using 1920x1076 solution setup). It worked well. I used the same solution for The chlonicle of Riddick when I had the underscan problem with this game too. This solution might work for the underscan problem for Home Front as well. I use the current driver (Hotfix 11.5b).

15. Kaerar

Kaerar Master Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    Worth a try I guess, though I'm gonna try the VGA port trick. Stronger signal and I don't use the audio anyway...

16. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    did you say what OS you're on? everyone can run dx11, you just cant use features like tesselation

i run BC2 in dx11 mode, same for unigine heaven, & ya i'm still the 4870x2 in my specs

now if you need fixes from multiple driver versions, it's very simple, just put atiumdag.dll for dx9 & atidxx32.dll + aticfx32.dll from the driver versions you need into the game's folder

this trick works almost always

17. Kaerar

Kaerar Master Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    Running Win 7 x64 Pro. DX11 without it's features is just basically DX9 anyway, so I'm not bothered about 11 until I can use Hardware Tessellation. I'm still on 4890, but should ahve a 6990 or dual 6970's pretty soon. Not sure which route to take yet, 6990 doesn't fit without me removing a fan, and the dual 6970's basically do the same job with a higher chance of failure but built in redundancy if one does fail.

Thanks for the info though. Will try that trick :)

18. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    my BC2 is smoother in 10 & 11 than dx9, so...

when i tried dirt2, i forgot what i used, i do think the rapture3d sound made me dip to 50-55fps, instead of 60vsync on the same race using the other software mixing option

point is, double check all dx modes if a game allows it, just to see if the same issues appear or anything, or if fps goes up (or if like in crysis, fps is just a few frames lower, but stuttering is much much less, & on top of that the amp usage & heat is lower even though it's the same 100% gpu usage)

i would NOT get a 6x00 card when the next gen is coming, remember this gen is crippled due to being stuck at 40nm, so they couldnt cram as big of a boost as the last few gens

19. Kaerar

Kaerar Master Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    When is next gen hitting? I dunno if my CPU can cope with the 7xxx cards it's only a little 1090T at 3.8Ghz ;)