Holy Cow, Enterprise Drivers vs AMD Adrenalin drivers, check this out.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by MyEinsamkeit, May 29, 2020.

1. MyEinsamkeit

MyEinsamkeit Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Pro VII 16GB
    AMD forums mods deleted my thread on their forum, not sure why they did that.

So as some of you may know i only game with workstation GPUs the most. Recently bought a RX 570 8GB card, amazing card and cheap. So for the longest time when using workstation cards i was using the driver 19.Q4.1, anything above this for enterprise drivers i got a decrease in performance.

So using the RX 570, i was using 20.4.2 and i also recently use 20.5.1, 20.5.1, despite having WDDM 2.7 didn't see any bit of difference that much compared to 20.4.2, also was getting a weird black screen issue, and performance overlay when turn on causes slow down/performance issues.

So out of curiosity i said i will install Radeon Pro Enterprise 19.Q4.1 which i think is the best AMD driver on my RX 570 and boy, i am so glad i did.

There's was no point to do alot of benchmarks of 20.4.2. vs 20.5.1. because 20.5.1 performance is pretty much the same vs the previous driver, maybe 1fps more and its fill with bugs atm.

Mafia 20.4.2 vs 19.Q4.1 (Max Settings, old time reality mod enable)
    Gear Tactics 20.4.2. vs 19.Q4.1

You clearly see the difference in performance increase with the enterprise drivers.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    elaganza likes this.
  2. MyEinsamkeit

MyEinsamkeit Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Pro VII 16GB
    Sleeping Dogs 19.Q4.1 Enterprise vs 20.5.1.
    Update, ran another test 2 mins ago, got even better fps using the 19.Q4.1 wow.
    Anything in the 20's driver range of drivers are crap compared to the older one 19.Q.41.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    my spidy sense tells me its nothing to do with "Enterprise drivers" and all to do with "Older drivers"

4. MyEinsamkeit

MyEinsamkeit Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Pro VII 16GB
    May be possible, either way the older drivers especially these are way faster than the newer ones. Which honestly isn't shocking, but awesome indeed. I found haven't test any of the older Adrenalin drivers, don't plan too, will stick with the 19.Q4.1.

5. Tomatone

Tomatone Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Steel Legend
    Did you try/compare 19Q4 vs 20.Q2 Enterprise?

6. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2070S|6700XT
    Given their release date, wouldn't you mind to test vs regular 19.12.1 (19.30.31.20), as 19.Q4.1 are 19.30.32? I guess those enterprise drivers where the last before 2020/19.50. Thanks

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  7. MyEinsamkeit

MyEinsamkeit Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Pro VII 16GB
    I did when i was using my Radeon Pro WX 4100 and Firepro W7000, 19.Q4.1 was better. I lost fps using 20.Q2.
    Also by the way, anything above 19.Q4.1 , meaning the enterprise 20 version drivers, including 20.Q2 have that bugged that was in the early Adrenalin 20 drivers, meaning Dead or alive 6 and dragons build quest does not work. That's another reason why i don't use them.

Oh you mean these Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.12.1. I guess i could try them. Be back soon. I will do some more testing and post later today with the results. Its also important how i have my global settings set too. And i don't OC, everything stock.
    Just for fun, i will test the newest drivers as well.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  8. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Professional drivers are truly bad either 2019 or 2020. They are missing many features. It isn't even a comparison mate. I am pro gamer with tons of games, believe me image quality for games without RIS for current gen games and integer scaling for older ones is bad. I really prefer feeling my eyes healthy and working.

I repeat, quality of life for gaming is different with RIS and integer scaling (depending on application) . Not mentioning other features or fixes. Workstation drivers are not for every day use, you really miss what you should be seeing.

9. MyEinsamkeit

MyEinsamkeit Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Pro VII 16GB
    Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.12.1 results, very similar to the enterprise ones. So yea i would use them if nobody wanted to use the enterprise ones on non workstation gpus. Note though, in Gear tactics, seems like when i set minimum framerates to unlimited, i get less fps, forgot to turn it on to 60 or higher, So I'm not sure how it performs vs the other two drivers.

Attached Files:

AlleyViper likes this.
  10. MyEinsamkeit

MyEinsamkeit Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Pro VII 16GB
    Results for Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.5.1. Slightly less performance in the games i tested compared to the Enterprise 19.Q4.1 and Adrenalin 19 ones. Overall in other games, the 20.5.1 and 20.4 ones performs the worse, compared to 19.Q4.1 and the Adrenalin 19 ones.

Bottom line. The 20 version drivers aren't bad, you will lose some fps, but its nothing major depending on the game. I only seen a big difference in Sleeping Dogs, but in newer games they perform just fine. But anyone using a RX 570 or 580(I'm assuming same thing), i would recommend Adrenalin 19 version drivers or use the Enterprise drivers. Adrenalin would make more sense considering we are using a RX 570.

I plan to continue using the enterprise ones though and when i buy a WX 7100 sometime next month i will use the 19.Q4.1 as well and use the Adrenalin 19 drivers on my the RX 570. The newer 20 drivers just don't give the best performance for me. Probably obviously only for the newer cards. :)

But the older drivers, whatever its enterprise or older Adrenalin drivers out perform the newer ones, so I'm not missing anything and they're not bad. So i disagree with you. Also results don't lie. And those are only for 3 games that i benchmark, i tried other ones, the 20 version drivers are not as fast as the older ones.

Also I'm not sure what i am suppose to be seeing difference in terms of quality? All looks the same to me.

Attached Files:

11. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    Just one question, on which Win10 build you performed those tests?

12. Adiurd

Adiurd Member

GPU:
    RX 580 8gb
    Many AMD drivers, Nvidia too, have regressions for a specific games.;-)
    it has happened with Gears of war, with Forza Horizon etc.

Report the issue.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  13. MyEinsamkeit

MyEinsamkeit Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Pro VII 16GB
    Windows 10 Enterprise 2004 19041.264. Older drivers is basically faster than newer ones. Anything in the 20's enterprise and Adrenalin is slower than the 19 versions. That's pretty much the bottom line.
    I remember when i was using Nvidia cards, i tested in the past the 337.50's vs the newer ones(around that time), the 337.50 blew them out the water.
    Just seems like over time the newer AMD drivers will perform better eventually.

14. prazola

prazola Member Guru

GPU:
    R9390XSOC / R9290DCU2OC
    Actually the only reference I have is csgo ullectical benchmark: 1080p everything low.
    Win10 2004 + 20.5.1:
    • i7 2600k 4.8GHz + R9 280x = 334 FPS -> same with 20.4.2 and previous windows build and it's the same result I get since 2019.
    • i7 4790k 4.7GHz + R9 390x = 457 FPS -> same with 20.3.1 and previous windows build, in 2019 i remember getting 440 FPS, so there's a little improvement, but I think it's in the error margin.
    But I don't think the DX9 driver is changed in years :D

MyEinsamkeit likes this.
  15. qpens8

qpens8 Member

GPU:
    8700gt 512
    I was using 19.Q4.1 because they are better drivers but unfortunately all enterprise driver have texture bug in CoD warzone so now I'm stuck with latest drivers 20.5.1 less PC restarts compare to other drivers

16. MyEinsamkeit

MyEinsamkeit Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Pro VII 16GB
    What's your GPU?
    I haven't tested COD warzone, but i can, will download later.

BTW you really don't have to use the Enterprise driver, you can use the Adrenalin 19 drivers as well. They seem to perform just as good. Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.12.1

17. qpens8

qpens8 Member

GPU:
    8700gt 512
    I'm using Radeon VII I can't use 19.12.1 because it's hanging Simplify3d when slicing stl

18. MyEinsamkeit

MyEinsamkeit Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Pro VII 16GB
    You're using this card right here? HOLY MOLY, that's a beast. If you say the enterprise drivers has a texture bug, and can't use 19.12.1 also, might want to stick with the newest latest 20.5
    https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-vii.c3358

Shame the 20 driver enterprise drivers can't play DOA6 or dragons build quest, it has that nasty crashing bug similar to the early 20 Adrenalin drivers. Seems like they have no intention on fixing that anytime soon, considering enterprise cards aren't really for gaming.

19. gabsvm

gabsvm Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8gb
    How about frametime spikes or stuttering and gameplay? Same in both drivers?

20. MyEinsamkeit

MyEinsamkeit Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Pro VII 16GB
    I haven't had any spikes, stuttering using none of the drivers i tested. I only get different framerates between all the drivers i have tested.

But no stuttering ever or spikes. Just depends on the game you're playing which i seen different fps, more higher in some. From what i tested with my setup/gpu, 20 version enterprise drivers and 20 version Adrenalin shows lower fps than the 19 versions.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020