hmm change 5970 for a GTX480?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Jae-So, Oct 5, 2010.

?

So should I?

1. No way, 5970 is a beast!

21 vote(s)
    52.5%
  2. Yes sell and get a 480; itz better for your res

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. only if you can get and have some money left over after

13 vote(s)
    32.5%
  1. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    ^ Meh not sure how well that'd scale especially with already dual GPU 5970, hmm still a tough decision lol, lookin at benchies right now

2. Zydor

Zydor Active Member

GPU:
    2 x MSI 7970 Lightning
    Cards always loose their value - rapidly - nature of the beast with constant technology refreshes. I wouldnt go down to a 480 just because of Physx, the latter is fine in theory, but reality is hype at present as not that many developers use it.

If you go down to a 480, a good cooling solution is mandatory - Accelator Xtreme Custom cooler would suit nicely.

But mainly due to the performance hit if you switched, I'd stay with the 5970. The 6XXX cards are due starting next month, releasing the usual variants between then and Spring 2011. I suspect they will be pricey, as the performance lead ATI already have with 5XXX means they have no incentive to reduce prices, and I suspect they will command a premium for 6XXX.

They could go for NVidia in a big way by reducing 5XXX, and 6XXX being pricing competitive at the top end - NVidia have nothing to respond with to counter such an agressive strategy.

Whatever which way, and many scenarios are possible, the crystal ball gets decidedly foggy, the fact that you have the top performing card, 5970, means I would say sit tight and see what happens by Spring next year. IMO you have it all going for you by hanging tight, and Physx is not enough to counter a performance downgrade of that magnitude.

Regards
    Zy

3. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    ^ TBH with a good cooling solution and a decent overclock I don't think I'll lose that much performance at 1920x1200, do you? Like I said the main reason for switching is the more consistent performance you get with a single GPU, most of the games that will drop FPS significantly will already be above the 50FPS (except Metro).

Thoughts?

4. *Bio*

*Bio* Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD 6620G
    I think that a single powerful card is always better than a dual gpu solution sometimes you can get stutters or inconsistent framerates plus crossfire profiles ect which can get on your nerves.

I really doubt you will see any difference in performance apart from benchmarks.

5. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix RTX2080 Ti OC
    The new model Asus 480gtx (Model #: ENGTX480-2DI-1536MD5) is an option if you really must have an NV card. 3yr warranty also.

Improved card, better bios and runs considerably cooler idle and load temps as compared to other 480gtx's.
    http://******************com/index....k=view&id=607&Itemid=72&limit=1&limitstart=15

Getting one next week I think, was waiting for dual-Fermi, but I'm a bit sick of waiting now and they will be priced high on release, so opting for a 480.

But... If I where you I would keep the 5970, then sell and get a next gen Nvidia card (Kepler) next year.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  6. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Why don't wait new ATI 6K are out ? cheaper HD6K low/middle class gpu ( Barts XT 6870 ) will be available in November at least and high end single gpu ( Cayman XT 6970 ) in november-december, when the 6990 ( Antilles (2x Cayman ) should be here before end of the year...

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  7. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    ^ meh I thought about it but I don't want barts XT and u never know what prices they'll charge for the 6970, I'm sortin a deal with sum1 for their GTX480 neway

8. perosmct

perosmct Banned

GPU:
    unknown
    it's not a smart choise...in some games...if CFX works and scale well..you have more fps...generally a single gpu offer more stable performance, + stability...

BUT, i would never take a fermi right now...i would wait for fermi+ (fermi 1.5 refresh in first quarter of 2011, OR take a new crossfire from ati (barts xt or cayman pro)... :)

9. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Wait for 6 series then decide. I was tempted to try 2x460 in sli as I could sell my cards for around £500 but it's probably more hassle than it's worth.

10. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    thing is I dobnt the 6xxx series will be that cheap, if I could get say the Cayman GPU for less than a 480 and it would peform better I'd go for it, but I think that's unlikely as I'm trading for one rather than selling and buying. I don't kno I'm in two minds

11. Indeo

Indeo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970@950\1200 + GT240
    Just keep it, why bother with something which already works perfectly? Also, OC for both your CPU and GPU will make you even happier for sure, for now you're missing at least 20% performance. Add a ppu and be happy for another year or so, even when Cayman comes out (for it will surely cost helluva lot at first).

12. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
  13. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    tbh the guys the more I see posts in the thread the more I'M leaning towards just keeping my card, guess itz the best thing to do

EDIT: one question tho, if I add my 9600GSO to my PC do you think my current PSU will do?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  14. Indeo

Indeo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970@950\1200 + GT240
    It sure will.

15. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    if you do not have driver issues and the card works 100% keep the freaking card. its still the best card on the planet. hell, I have a 295 in two rigs and they still kick ass. the 480 is a little better than my card and your card kicks its ass. overclock that cpu to 4ghz and overclock that card

16. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    have decided to keep the 5970 guys, might overclock it a bit in future too, thanks everyone, was a bit of a tough one for me