hmm change 5970 for a GTX480?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Jae-So, Oct 5, 2010.

?

So should I?

1. No way, 5970 is a beast!

21 vote(s)
    52.5%
  2. Yes sell and get a 480; itz better for your res

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. only if you can get and have some money left over after

13 vote(s)
    32.5%
  1. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    Hey guys, I've been running a Sapphire HD5970 and I think its great but I'm thinking about selling and getting a GTX480, what do you guys think? I really do think the 5970 is a great card but I'm thinkin I may not need this kind of power at 1920x1200 and could benefit from Physx in a few games (even though I still believe it is a gimmick).

BTW I'm running a 650 watt power supply but am planning to upgrade at some point

EDIT: Also I want to add my 9600GSO for physx at some point so may be better to just have one set of drivers instead of ATI + nVidia, thoughts?

6000 Series coming soon as well, will my card lose itz value?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  2. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    "only if you can get and have some money left over after "

I see no point in getting a bit lower performance in games if you cant make some money.

GTX480 itself should be able to deal with that resolution, that's not the problem.

3. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    trading 5970 for gtx 480 yes. if so trade it for a evga gtx 480 sc ^^
    trading a gtx 480 or gtx 480 sc for a 5970 hell no :D.

5970 might be faster in some games then again you dont above 200 fps in games anyway.
    teselation etc is where it really matters tbh and with that 5970 aint amazing at all.

4. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix RTX2080 Ti OC
    Keep it. Unless you want to downgrade to say a 460gtx or something...that way you would get some decent cash back, if you need $$ ? No idea why anyone would want to downgrade anything, but anyway.

Or if you just want Physx get a cheap Nv card and use it for dedicated Physx.

Or you could wait for dual fermi aka 490gtx, but you could be waiting a while, I'm getting sick of waiting for it myself :cry:

5. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    well I'm not having driver problems or anything but I'm thinkin I'd get more consistent performance from a Single GPU card and the 480 seems to be have about 20% less performance overall which I can handle

EDIT: Also I want to add my 9600GSO for physx at some point so may be better to just have one set of drivers instead of ATI + nVidia, I'll edit this into the main post

6. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    I was thinking about that single vs. dual gpu performance and I agree with you. Because HD5970 costs more, you should get some cash from that trade.

I wonder what kind of performance increase you get from using dedicated physx card with GTX480 ?

7. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix RTX2080 Ti OC
    Barely any I would think?

8. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    ^ meh I have it, so would use it neway, even if it doesn't make a difference it'll help in that I'm keeping one set of drivers, neway anymore thoughts on this guys? Where would be a good place to look for a trade etc or is selling the best option?

9. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    Because that 6870 is going to be mid-end card, 5970 will still be the fastest ATI for some time.

Will card lose it's value ? Ofc those will when time goes by. I dont know the exact release of high-end 6xxx series cards which will challenge your card and it will "lose it's value". Tought I have seen previous gen high-end cards being sold with quite nice price even when there are better deals around from new gen cards.

Yay, 8000th post :)

10. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    hmm which do you think willhold itz value better, in the case I decide to upgeade to kepler or 7XXX series?

11. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    I'm not a fortuneteller, but I think that those will drop their price about as much, because those are flagships of current generations and there are good reasons to buy HD5970 and good reasons to buy GTX480.

Both will surely take a price hit when next gen cards will arrive. There is not going to be situation that HD5970 is replaced and GTX480 is fastest Nvidia because you are going to skip next gen cards and wait.

12. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    ^ yeh I know wat u mean bout them both having their upsides, decisions decisions

13. Omagana

Omagana Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    I certainly don't think its worth switching, unless you make a decent bit of money out of it.

Physx certainly isn't a good enough reason.

14. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    You'll play all the Physx games in a week at most, then physx will again be completely meaningless to you.

Not that it matters, you said you have a 9600GSO. Just put that in with your 5970 and enjoy Physx AND power.

15. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    ^ yeh man that's wat my original plan was, like I said I was just thinking about goin to a single GPU and more consistent framerate, especially since most games run at an FPS much higher than I need neway, thanks for the opinion tho, the more the marier, I'm in two minds

16. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    well i would swap but only for a 480gtx with custom fan, stock are crap/loud and hot..

17. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    ^ very tru, not too bothered about being too loud tbh I;m just wondering if the performance I'll lose will be great, that's my main concern, either way it would be a good idea to get like an AMP 480 or sumthin

18. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    Only if you get a 480 with lifetime warranty (EVGA) + a chunk of money and IF you have a nuclear power plant so you can SLI when you need to. Even though it may technically make the cut at 650W, two 480s would kill that poor PSU of yours. These 480s are going to die fast, I guarantee most of them won't last 2 years.

19. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    hmm ^ I have an offer of a Gigabyte one and some money, gigabyte are usually pretty good with RMAs, I dunno

20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    I wouldn't know how good Gigabyte's RMA service is since I've never used it. I buy Gigabyte products because I've never had one die on me. Isn't their warranty 3 years?

Even if Gigabyte made the 480s at their self-claimed higher-than-standard quality, I still expect to see 480s die in under 2 years. Though if their warranty is 3 years long (check if it requires registration or not, if it requires the original owner to register it that's useless to you) that would be alright.

Personally I haven't kept up at all with how linking technology works. I don't suppose you can Crossfire an HD 5000 card with an HD 6000? I'll go ahead and guess no because they're different architectures. So much for Hydra, I don't see them around.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010