HL2 and 5900

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by bwx232, Sep 11, 2003.

1. bwx232

bwx232 Guest

http://warp2search.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=14358

edit- added links:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1863

Early Half-Life 2 Results Show ATI Well Ahead @ ExtremeTech

ATI owners rejoice, HL2 rocks on their hardware... @ Anandtech

Valve publishes Halflife 2 Benchmark numbers @ Tom's Hardware

Valve lets off steam over NVIDIA performance
    ...and offers a new graphics benchmark @ The Tech Report

Half Life 2: First Benchmarks @ Gamers Depot

Half Life 2 Performance Preview Part 1 @ FiringSquad

Ouch, nVidia confirmed to be hurting for HL2 performance @ nV News

Halflife 2 Performance Numbers @ Rage3D

"Half-Life 2 has a special NV3x codepath that was necessary to make NVIDIA's architecture perform reasonably under the game; "

"ATI didn't need these special optimizations to perform well and Valve insists that they have not optimized the game specifically for any vendor"

"even with the special NV3x codepath, ATI is the clear performance leader under Half-Life 2 with the Radeon 9800 Pro hitting around 60 fps at 10x7. The 5900 ultra is noticeably slower with the special codepath and is horrendously slower under the default dx9 codepath;"

edit: more links

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTE5

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTE5LDM=
    5x as much time optimizing NV3x path as we've spent optimizing generic DX9 path. ATI did not need it"

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTE5LDQ=
    "RUMOR": OEM DEAKS IS THE REASON FOR THESE BENCHMARK RESULTS.

"REALITY: ATI's performance is the REASON WE HAVE an OEM deal"

All you guys with 5900's that want to play HL2 better sell them and get a 9800p. Even with special optimizations for Nvidia FX cards, the performance isn't going to be good.. For a 400 dollar card too- wow.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2003
  2. Salem13

Salem13 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW DT
    This is NVIDIA's Official statement: "The Optimiziations for Half-Life 2 shaders are in the 50 series of drivers which we made available to reviewers on Monday [Sept. 8, 2003]. Any Half-Life 2 comparison based on the 45 series driver are invalid. NVIDIA 50 series of drivers will be available well before the release of Half-Life 2".

STFU Troll!

3. top_gun36

top_gun36 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9800 Pro|MR9600 Pro Turbo
    nVidia has been circulating its Det50 driver to analysts in hopes that we would use it for our Half-Life 2 benchmarking. The driver contains application-specific optimizations that will likely improve nVidia's overall performance picture, however Valve's Gabe Newell expressed concerns that some of nVidia's optimizations may go too far. Doug Lombardi of Valve has explicitly asked that beta versions of the Det50 drivers not be used for benchmarking.

4. Roccer

Roccer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 SSC
    even though its a long shot, they probably dont want det50 benches getting out cause they will show that the 5900 could match the 9800s. That would be bad PR for a ATi-HL2 bundle kit that they are planning. this whole situation is starting to seem more like business tactics and strategy than hardware issues....

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I just received a det 51.35 set, we'll release some results on Thursday/Friday in these forums.

And no I did not try them yet due to time constraints.

6. Graek

Graek Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan xp sli Titan x 1
    Sheesh not this guy again.:rolleyes:

Hope to see those results soon Hilbert.:D

7. Creizai

Creizai Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia eVGA 6800GT @ 420/1090
    It will prob effect the over all out come of which card I will buy.

3dfx 4 life ... oh wait there no more ... who bought them ?
    Oh Nvida

Nvida 4 Life ... Unless they suck /w HL2 ...

8. Djuice

Djuice Guest

Shut the hell up it only for HL2 or some future games, but still they can run fine...

9. Creizai

Creizai Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia eVGA 6800GT @ 420/1090
    Well Half-Life has more players online than Quake 3, UT 2003, and America's Army Put together.

Now Are you trying to tell me that "Oh well its just HL2 who cares?" Because if so, Maybe you should try other games than PGA Gulf :p

10. Djuice

Djuice Guest

Nv3X cards can run the game, tho without all the eye candy, not much of a prob unless u specifically bought the card to run it, then maybe its an issue.

11. Rusty 2k3

Rusty 2k3 Guest

In all honisty i can see Half Life 2 working for both cards Nvidia and Ati youll just have to wait and see the end result should be intresting though.:D

12. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    @ Rusty 2k3. Best reply.

13. Warlord001

Warlord001 Master Guru

GPU:
    7800gtx
    Isn’t it a tad ominous that nvidia has to write "optimised" drivers to reach (I hope") the level of performance of the ATI cards? I mean drivers have always given speed boosts but 30% - 40% only on the Nvidia web page has this ever been claimed. Think of this as well if Nvidia's drivers bring the boost they need too what would happen if ATI got there own specific code path and optimised drivers as well? It looks depressing for nvidia Imho.

Please don’t see the above as a flame. I admit I am annoyed at Nvidia at the mo for the need for these optimisations at all.

If possible can we see benchmarks in aqua mark 3 with the new det 50’s as well as older revisions so we can see the difference. Screen shots would be nice. I really hope that they can get the boost without losing image quality. I know I’m asking a lot but I think that for a real comparison someone will have to do this and I don’t have the hardware :(

edit I had an old account but forgot my password...and account name!

14. mpm

mpm Guest

15. TheReproducer

TheReproducer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 660 ti Jetstream
    From the tech report, it seems like Nvidia needs to make the det5x.xx a miracle of drivers in order for their FX5xxx range to play HL2 with dx9 full.

16. Rusty 2k3

Rusty 2k3 Guest

Im very sure that Nvidia will figure something out in time.

17. Dont_shootme182

Dont_shootme182 Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 295
    Even with driver optimisations, the real problem is in the hardware. The 5xxx chips just don't implement the DX9 features well enough on the hardware to get the performance boost needed without sacrificing else where. Still, only time (and new drivers) will tell if Nvidia can pull off a miracle.

18. TheReproducer

TheReproducer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 660 ti Jetstream
    I'm guessing that even if they did get the HL2 fps higher with the new drivers it'll most likely be at the expense of image quality.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2003
  19. Dzhedaj

Dzhedaj Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X800GTO 256MB @6
    YOU ARE SO DAMN RIGHT!
    He also mentioned that he's seen drivers detect screen capture attempts and output higher quality data than what's actually shown in-game.

That's just great. Nvidia asks us to wait for dets 51.xx, where they can reduce the image quality to dx8 levels, and in the screenshots put everything back on...and then they call it optimising.

I'm so glad that I'm getting my Radeon 9800 in just a few hours:D w00t
    Edit: in just about 30 minutes:D

20. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 1080Ti STRIX
    Pretty unexpected from nvidia I have to say ,but yet ,I still cannot trust Valve either ,seeing they showcased the game on 9800 Pro and are willing to bundle the game with yet again 9800 pro ,I am too suspicious about 5900 ultra suddenly falling even behind 9600 Pro which cannot compete with 5900 Ultra or non ultra in any case ,apart from strangely enough HL2 :rolleyes: I smell marketing tactics in here ,after seeing these benchies a lot of folk are going to rush to get 9800 pro ,which is rather obvious ,and yet Valve OBJECTS in reviewers using early DET 50s ,perhaps with them ,5900 Ultra completely smokes the rest?