HL2:Aftermath, Not only steam, so it appears!!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by dcx_badass, Feb 15, 2006.

1. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Well everyone keeps saying its steam only well look what i stumbled across:
    Half-Life 2: Aftermath Expansion Pack (PC DVD) @ amazon.co.uk
    and the box art:
    [​IMG]

This item will be released on April 28, 2006.
    RRP: £19.99
    Our Price: £16.99
    You Save: £3.00 (15%)

So it appears that its not steam only and despite rumours will be available on disk.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2006
  2. dune2

dune2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Titan X Aqua
    The price is an insult! Valve said the addon will be around 20 USD. So if amazon wants 20 GBP for it, I'm not buying!

3. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    I thought the whole point of steam was that they did not need get a publisher to sell their goods,that way they could keep all the money they made from the games sales through steam too themselves.
    Obviously sale's through steam have not reached the levels they assumed sales would.
    Also Tesco is doing the Aftermath Add-on disc for £16.99 here in the uk so it will be intresting to see just what it costs though steam.

4. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    i can't find uk prices for anything on steam, is there a steam uk site?

5. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2080Ti
    Mate, If they made it steam only just imagine how many threads there would be around here saying Valve sucks, steam suck's i only have a slow connection, y are they forcing me to download this game? etc etc...
    I think that they are just covering all bases. I'll buy it through steam, as i did with HL2. Doesnt bother me. But it would bother some.

Oh, and I dont think £16.99 is a bad price for an add-on pack at all. Blimey, Doom 3 ROE was £25 here in the UK!!! now that WAS a rip-off. Typically expansion packs have been priced somewhere between £15-£20.

6. shrapnel22

shrapnel22 Master Guru

GPU:
    Chaintech 6800GT @ 400/1100
  7. netnexus

netnexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870x2
    When is it coming out?

8. SniperDaws

SniperDaws Banned

GPU:
    XFX7600GTXXX Zalman Vf900
    whats Aftermath all about? Can you imagine HalfLife 3 the series, they get HL3 cut it up into little pieces and sell em at £20 a pop. Money grabbing bastards!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2006
  9. dense_drummer

dense_drummer Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 6970
    I don't care, i'll buy it twice.

10. Xaser04

Xaser04 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    £16.99 isn't too bad for a complete add one. (hl2's add ons normally are very good). I have always though that a add on should cost roughly half of what the original game cost.

In some places HL2 was £35 here so £16.99 is bang on.

I will definately buy this. Relly enjoyed HL2 so this will be a must.

Although I think I will wait until some people have tried it first.

11. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    How would you know there hasn't been a HL2 add-on yet?

12. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    But it does.....:bigsmile:

Seriously though ,it will be interesting to see the difference in price between the Steam version and the shop versions, i mean gaming companies have been complaining for years that Piracy, packaging,publishing and retailers are some of the things that increase the price of games, so by that reckoning This HL2 add on should be cheaper than the retail version.

13. GODzillaSDM

GODzillaSDM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    VisionTek AMD HD7850
    If Steam offered their games cheaper than in-stores i'd go with steam. But for the same price, i like to have a physical copy of something.

I previously hated Steam when it first started. Activation for HL2 was so slow at launch. But now, its good speed, and the idea of owning an account really prevents piracy and thats a good thing. CD's in drive are no longer required, and if you ever lose or break your game, you can download it hassle free with an account. (although according to EULA they won't let you sell the account, when you're done playing, which suks.)

Am I starting to sound like Steam's associates? hehe.

14. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    i quite like steam, think its a great idea. the implementation has has some problems, but thats to be expected. the only reason i havent bought any games with it is the fact that i dont have a credit card, and my parents dont want me to use theirs, unless on special occasions, so its simpler for me to buy it in the shops.

15. dense_drummer

dense_drummer Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 6970
    I think he's talking about the aftermarket Mods. And yes, Some are very Good.
    Like Substance, Minerva:Metastasis, and Combine Destiny. I love those mods.

16. Darkoz

Darkoz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 ULTRA xXx 675/2.3GHz
    That's actually not as far fetched as you might think.
    Valve are releasing the third party game SIN in exactly that way, in episodes.
    If it proves to be successful, I wouldn't be surprised if Valve does the same thing with their future games.

Valve's Steam system isn't about delivering convenient or cheaper games to their customers, it's simply about keeping a larger chunk of the profit for themselves.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2006
  17. Damnit

Damnit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFI R9 390
    Plus anti-theft through absolute content control. Aparently micro$oft has jumped on the band-wagon as well.

If the addon is long enough to justify the price then it's fine by me. But if all were going to be seeing is 5 levels and a **** load of new weapons and voice acting then Valve can blow it up their ass.

18. PuddingWagon

PuddingWagon Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    I think they said it would take about 6 hours (not sure if that was the SIN Episodes though, can't remember). I'll probably try for a platinum pack sorta thing with DOD:S as well as aftermath so my brother can have his own steam account.

19. k4t4n4

k4t4n4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    B
    if the add-on is good I'll buy it.