Hitting a wall with my E5200

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Err, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Err

Err Active Member

GPU:
    HD4850
    'Sup brehdren?

I'm trying to overclock my E5200 a little bit here, but the farthest I can go and still remain stable is 3.0GHz (12.5*240). This seems a little low compared to the results most users are getting, and not only that, my temps at 3.0GHz are through the roof. Here's a shot of some testing I'm doing at the moment, waiting for an error in Prime95:

[​IMG]

As you can see, I'm maxing about 68c on full load, and compared to what others are seeing, that's just way too high.

Am I just doing it wrong? Also, I figured I'd point out that I just got a bluescreen while playing GTA IV, saying that there was a hardware error with my processor. I had been running what I thought was a completely stable system at 3.0GHz, but obviously not, which is what prompted the testing I'm doing at the moment. So far, I've yet to see an error in my current state, and I have reduced the voltage since the failure in GTA IV, so that may have been the solution to that problem (time and tests will tell).

2. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    those temps are too high. anything near 70 is getting pretty bad. are you on stock cooling and how is your case air flow?

3. Err

Err Active Member

GPU:
    HD4850
    I'm on stock cooling, but no-one else seems to be doing that bad with stock cooling.

I'm using a Cooler Master Centurion 5, and airflow is great.

4. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    well anything over 3ghz needs aftermarket cooling

as when i benched a E5200 @ 3.8ghz on stock it was hitting 80c lol

so just get a better cooler only thing you can do realy.

5. Err

Err Active Member

GPU:
    HD4850
    But I'm not anywhere over 3 yet. I really don't plan on going any higher, I just wanted to at least run at 3. It seems stable and all, and the temps aren't really that bad, but honestly, from such a chip, I expected more.

6. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    well, every chip oc's different. i thought i could go a little higher with my q6600 but i kept on having to add volts until temps got high so i had to back down. even if your e5200 was prime95 stable, it still bsod'd in gta so im not sure about the overall stability. you may want to buy an after market cooler because temps that high could damage the processor and kill it over time.

this heatsink is cheap and does pretty good and is easy to install: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

7. Err

Err Active Member

GPU:
    HD4850
    What temp should I be looking for at full load? What is something with which I should be satisfied?

8. Saee

Saee Active Member

GPU:
    9600GT 714/1800/2304
    First of all,I've oc'ed my E5200 to 3.5 ghz & I only use the stock HSF.
    FYI,I can use two group of settings;both pass intel burn test & prime95 & are rock solid
    in every game I've tried so far:

3500=280X12.5 dram @ 842 mhz
    3500=333X10.5 dram @ 835 mhz

My core temps while running prime95 exeed 70 degrees.But in any real world apps including gaming & video encoding core temps are 58 degrees or less.
    So check your max temps while running a game & report back.

9. Err

Err Active Member

GPU:
    HD4850
    My highest temp while playing Prince Of Persia was 51 on one core, 42 on the other.

10. Saee

Saee Active Member

GPU:
    9600GT 714/1800/2304
    Your temps are not bad, but they should be closer.Get some good TIM & reseat your
    HSF.Apply the proper amount.
    I personally think you should use at least an fsb of 266(266X12.5=3333 mhz)
    You may need to change a few settings in bios.Post back if you need help!

11. FNK

FNK Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTR 480 XXX
    You may need more than a small 1.200v.
    1.225volt here for 3.6ghz!Full Load 46c hehe

12. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    In the screenshot in the first post, it looks like Coretemp is showing the core temperature based on an incorrect Tjunction max value. Try downloading the latest version of Realtemp, it should hopefully show the correct temperature.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  13. FNK

FNK Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTR 480 XXX
    Can you modify the voltage of your motherboard?
    FSB voltage require a small bump, so does the Northbridge.