HIS Radeon R9-290X Hybrid ICEQ review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We review the liquid cooled HIS Radeon R9-290X Hybrid ICEQ edition. The card uses an LCS kit for the GPU that runs towards a 120mm radiator. On the card itself there still is a small fan that blows ...

HIS Radeon R9-290X Hybrid ICEQ review

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Thanks for the review Hilbert :)

I don't know, somehow I'm not that impressed with that cooler design. Yes, 80°C might be acceptable, yet again it doesn't look like an overly quiet card, nor a exceptionally cool one... and you need some place to put the radiator too, so it is "costly" in space inside the chassis, and maybe needs an additional opening, thus probably making your whole system louder again. Not really something I'd get, but that's just my opinion. At least the vrm stay cool, and the memory overclock seems to be nice too.

Also, just a little hint: the overclocking section seems to still show some ASUS references from the last card you reviewed ;)

3. dbogss

dbogss Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix-RTX-2080
    yap ,yap i do appreciate the x series ,the only downfall is the cooler design ,but that is a personal opinion...:supercool

4. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Stunning card, however, as others have said, what's with the funky looking cooler?

5. Kaotik

Kaotik Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    I would still point out, that according to AMD's CodeXL, Hawaii (and Bonaire) are Sea Islands, not Volcanic Islands, and that first Volcanic Islands GPU's are Tonga (already out in FirePro-form) and Iceland

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Tonga is coming this saturday so hopefuly HH let us know more about those cards.

7. 17seconds

17seconds Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW+
    What's with that benchmark list that includes 7 of 8 gaming benchmarks from the AMD Gaming Evolved series?

8. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT 16GB
    Damn HiS has been making some funky and ugly looking coolers lately. There is no way in hell even a 290x should be hitting 80c with a AIO unit. Thats not really an improvement over a stock cooler IMHO.

My 7950 doesnt go over 50c(I know not as hot as a 290 though) with single fan at 1000rpm as an intake fan in a warmish room. And it was 85c at stock clocks with stock cooler with fan at 75% which is very loud.