High Temps with GTX 295 since upgrading to i7

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Nightmare, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Nightmare

Nightmare Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 SLI
    I just recently overhauled my system to a Core i7 setup. Complete specs are on my profile panel on the left. My performance has improved tremendously with the 920 @ 4.0 GHz over my Q9550 @ 3.6 GHz. In some cases even a doubling of frame rate. In some games (RE5 Fixed Bench from 65.1 AVG to 128.5 AVG, incredible).

One of the few components I did not upgrade was my video card, a Zotac GTX 295. However, ever since I upgraded the temps on the GTX 295 have increased a large amount.

One of the games I play frequently is Left 4 Dead 2, and with Vsync off my temperatures were usually in the low to mid 80s. Since I upgraded to the i7, the video card is pumping out a much larger amount of frames (again, almost double the FPS), and the card is heating up to 97-100C, almost in the critical range for the card, and yes, the fan is running at 100%. With vertical sync on I'm getting temperatures around 79-80C. Much more acceptable, but the mouse lag is IMMENSE, likely because of the video card waiting to display frames.

My idle temps are also higher than they used to be, it's usually hovering just below 60C, and even when my room is ice cold with the window open it's only at 54-55C. It used to be much lower, in the 40s if my room was very cold. At first I'm thinking the GPU is heating up more because of how much more frames it's able to push out with my i7 over my Q9550, but this doesn't explain increased idle temps.

My airflow in my case is pretty good, my ambient system temperature is usually around 24C, and 28C when the card is under load.

The GPU fan isn't making any abnormal noise to indicate it's not working properly, and it spins up and down like it always used to.

I'm at a loss here and all I can think of is the fan isn't working properly, even if I can't see or hear anything wrong with it. I'm considering RMAing it back to Zotac as I've only had it since April. I'm looking for some feedback from other 295 users and their temperatures with preferably i7 setups with their idle and load temperatures, specifically in L4D2 would be nice, but any GPU intensive game will do. Thanks for any help!

2. Bentez

Bentez Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GR RTX 3080
    Yeh my 295 reaches those temps all the time. i7 definitely lets the 295 stretch its legs. My idle is 55c at 60% fan, some games like Anno 1404 take my card to high 90's and vsync is a must in most things I play. I'm not concerned myself because I plan to upgrade when Fermi hits so I'm goning to beat my GTX into ground until then :D

I find high AA increases temps quite abit aswell.

3. Nightmare

Nightmare Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 SLI
    Good to know, I have my fan at 40% when it's idle at those temps. Any more input before I consider this normal?

4. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    Normal? 60c is bloody good!

5. Mr_Alexander

Mr_Alexander Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GYGABYTE 3080ti
    i7 makes GTX 295 to work to the fullest. The highest temp I got was running Furmark. It reached 93C and stoped. On idle I usually have 53-54C. In game I had the highest playing COD W@W. It stays at around 86C.
    I was concerned at the begining too but after reading reviews people say it is normal and no worries.

6. Nightmare

Nightmare Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 SLI
    Great. I kinda figured it may have been from the i7 upgrade, I wasn't expecting how much of an improvement it was to my FPS over my Q9550. I wouldn't even recommend a GTX 295 without a i7 at this point. XD

7. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Not at idle.

8. smashly

smashly Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 560ti / GTX 670
    I use to flat line @ 94c in furmark fan at 92%, just add water and and now it's 70c max (extreme ambient room temp) with fans on the rad a 500rpm and ambient room temp of 30~44c.
    In most games I rarely hit 64c after long hours of play (eg: Stalker CS/CoP, Crysis/Warhead), prior to watering the cards I was always hitting 84 ~ 90c in just about any game no matter what fan speed.
    I notice that my mobo's northbridge chipset dropped by about 10c just because my cards run cooler.
    Overall my system just feels more stable (that's just probably me justifying to myself the wc costs..lol).

9. jasonmvt

jasonmvt Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    These days, I'm getting around 53C idle, but L4D2 only pushes my temps to the low 70's at 19x12 with vsync on. However, I notice none of the massive lag you mention with vsync.

A prime95 session will raise my gfx card temps by a good 4-5C even though they're doing nothing. What kind of cpu temps are you getting? Sounds like some airflow management might help you out.

10. Nightmare

Nightmare Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 SLI
    My CPU idles between 39-41C, and when I was doing stability testing @4.0 GHz using OCCT under full load it was about 72C. I think those temps are fine for 4.0 GHz w/ HT on, eh?

I've always gotten mouse lag in Source games if I have vsync on, even on my Q9550 and EP45T motherboard. I can hardly play L4D2 with Vsync because of all the mouse lag.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009

11. Nightmare

Nightmare Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 SLI
    Lucky you. I wish they sold aftermarket coolers for the 295 for those still on air. I've heard that EVGA Backplate can drop temperatures a good deal, and I think it can be used on other brand 295s also, anyone know for sure?

12. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    mine is idling at 52-52c on 50% fan. ur heat issue sounds like my other 295. it was idling at 60c and over and furmark got the card to 103+/- and while playing it reached the 90+ even at 100% fan. prolly reapplying TIM will help out if you dont mind opening up the card and using artic silver 5 maybe.

13. smashly

smashly Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 560ti / GTX 670
    For those idling at high temps I don't see why you wouldn't lower the GPU core volts while in 2D mode.
    I've got my volts set to 0.8500v in 2D mode (default is normally 1.0375v in any mode).
    Was the first thing I did when I got my first gtx295.
    It shaves up to 7c off the idle 2D temps without even changing the fan speed from the default 41%.
    I can say I've never had any problems from doing so after running my cards for almost a year on lower volts in 2D mode.
    I used NiBiTor to modify my orig bios and nvflash to flash my modded bios back to my cards.

14. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    the last sentence on your post is why i havent done it. I tought about this long time ago but i dont know of a program that can change the 2d volts.

15. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    nibitor can.

16. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    but nibitor is to flash or customize bios right? I tryd once that program and couldnt understand it with 8800gt

17. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    i get 40-45 degrees idle at 40% fan speed....i play all my games at 60% fan speed with no problems whatsoever

18. Nightmare

Nightmare Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 SLI
    Removing the side panel didn't seem to help temperatures at all, idle temps remained exactly the same. 58-59C consistently. I don't feel too confident volt modding or opening up the card to reapply thermal paste at the moment. I'm going to give it a vigorous dusting with my electric duster (blows a whole lot of air) early next week, so we will see how it is then and I'll report back.

Thanks for all the suggestions and temp comparisons so far everyone.

19. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    i have on the side panel right in front of the card. and exhaust 120mm fan that helps remove the hot air being released from the gpu and an intake 140mm fan on the side right in front of where the card sucks air.

btw can anyone do a HOW TO guide for nibitor and gtx 295. I also need to know if using nibitor would void the waranty on BFG.

20. Nightmare

Nightmare Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 SLI
    Problem solved!

Looks like a good dusting was all the card needed. Had to tie up a few loose ends with the build today (received motherboard accessories today, got an open box motherboard originally so I had to install the I/O shield).

I gave the card a good high-powered dusting with my electronic duster and I was able to clear a good amount of dust from the fan and interior of the card, I could see the dust shooting into the air. Now the card idles at 53-54C!! A 6-7C temperature drop just from dusting is insane.

I did a 'stress' test on the card on L4D2. Mall Atrium Survival (endless waves of infected + special infected) for 10 minutes. The card averaged around 85C for the 10 minutes, these are the temps I had before I installed the i7. Much more acceptable to me.

Looks like all the card needed was some vigorous dusting :). I guess a good lesson here is to dust your components every so often, a lot of dust builds up where you cannot see it. Those electronic dusters are VERY worth it, $45 and it blows waaaaay more air than a can of compressed air, it really got every nook and cranny of the card.

Thanks again for all the help, I'm a happy camper now. :)