High pitched whining noise coming from monitor.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Phoenix_Inferno, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Phoenix_Inferno

Phoenix_Inferno Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTS 320MB
    Recently, ive been hearing this extremely high freq noise in my room. It took me a while to figure out the source since it kept bouncin off the walls and i heard it all over the room.

Finally, i figured out it was my monitor when i shut it off to clean the screen.

Any one know what could cause this?

2. Kain

Kain Ancient Guru

Is it LCD monitor?

3. Phoenix_Inferno

Phoenix_Inferno Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTS 320MB
    Nah, its a CRT.

I unplugged the monitor and plugged it in (without waiting) and it seems to have solved the problem.. for now...

4. Kain

Kain Ancient Guru

Ok, because some LCD monitors have this very very inaudible noise when theyre not set at the highest bright.
    It really doesnt matters unless youre alone in your house at 1 am without any noise. (except the one from the monitor of course)

5. Zapmaster

Zapmaster Sherlock Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870
    I think capacitors make high pitched noises before they blow. You might want to open it and see if any capacitors are leaking (super dangerus do, lots of Voltage in CRT monitors). Defenitly get a technican to look into it (fixing would probably cost more than buying a new one do).

It could also be things like not enough branch circuts in the house (two for example) which could break down the transformer and make them "sing". Lots of things..... maybe it's time to look into an LCD. :)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2005
  6. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino Staff Member

GPU:
    old
    Its dying and will cost to much too fix unless its warrentied or very very expensive (1000+)