High ping/rtt time with isp provided equipment

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by ylpkm, Mar 31, 2020.

?

What is the average delay to get packets past your modem?

Poll closed Apr 14, 2020.
  1. <2ms

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. <5ms

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. <10ms

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  4. <20ms

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. <30ms

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. <50ms

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ylpkm

ylpkm New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080ti
    I have Charter Spectrum and am on the Gigabit tier plan. I am using a 3.1 Docsis eMTA modem (E31T2v1 i beleive, going off memory) (although I only have internet service, no phone/tv.) and I have just dealt with the seemingly high connection times.

So I started doing ping tests and removing the router and seeing what the difference was. I was forced to upgrade to the rac2v1k router when I changed tiers, even though I had a router that would suffice.

So from ping tests and also logging rtt times in games this is what happens:
    1. ISP provided router adds 5-9ms delay minimum to ping and rtt. This is regardless if I disable everything I can on the router.
    2. Pinging Modem takes 9ms minimum. I cannot access the gui on the modem, few forums say they purposefully locked the end user from accessing it.

So if I use their router and modem, it's at least 14-18ms delay before my packets even hit the street. Lowest ping to any external address is basically 21ms. (Yeah, at least a 3rd of my delay is within my own house.)

If I connect directly to the modem, removing the router completely, the lowest ping to an external address is 12ms. Is this normal? I would already say no, because when I pulled out my old Docsis 3.0 sb6141 modem, the ping time to it was <1ms... I haven't tested my old router yet, but I believe ping times for it were <1ms-2ms.

When I hooked up the old modem I pulled up the signal strength page, everything was within the modem specifications, but docsis 3 vs 3.1 use different/more channels so I can only assume everything is ok on the isp modem. I don't really care to pay for a tech to come out to argue with him that this is not okay. That I'm paying around 3 times the price of the next tier down, to use their awful equipment, when I could downgrade, use my own equipment and probably be fine... But its $200 to go back to gigabit each time, and I bet isp routing/hops would change as well and any ping time saved with my old hardware would be lost on lvl2 and 3 hops.

Has anyone had this situation? Any tips?

Is there anything I can do on my end, or is it basically now dealing with technicians who don't even know what ipv6 is or that the router they gave me basically strokes out with Tv's, laptops and consoles if ipv6 is enabled. I had discussed my concerns with the rep when I asked about upgrading because I did my research on the equipment before hand, they had no interest other than the sale and made empty reassurances, but it was gigabit so I did it. The order was just for the upgraded modem, but when the tech came out, he forcefully upgraded me to their router, called the call center and they said to listen to the technician while he was there. Tried to argue that my router was a dual band gigabit model, that even the wifi could support the speeds. Escalated and was told basically same thing by the "supervisor" (I worked in a call center for years, most of the time was in tech support... I know the drill.) Back to the technician; I brought up the ipv6 issue that the router had, and he said he's never heard of ipv6 (Network is dual stack). I called later about the ipv6 issue and of course didn't get anywhere except them offering a service call. This was when ipv6 access wasn't guaranteed and only in certain areas, but my area did have fully functioning ipv6 access at the time.

I have tried different ethernet cables Cat5, 6, and 8. I have tried all the ethernet adapter options (gigabit onboard nic). I have tried vpns, and it does not reduce the connection time. (Rant: Probably because the hop route seems to rubberband back and forth geographically at a glance, but that's normal too, east 100+mi, then back to my city, 1 state south, then back to my state but west ~100 mi from my city, then a few states east before it begins going through the big hops. I know ip geolocation for hops can vary in truth and accuracy, but when the geolocation says the route goes in a half circle in the most unefficient way, almost confirming the interactive availability map for their services, that there are only 2 routes to my destination, and it takes both of them up to hop 7.)

For instance, if you run Ooklas speed test, whats the lowest ping you get (desktop version works best), doesn't have to be gigabit or anything crazy. What is your average ping time to your router and modem via ethernet?

TLDR:
    ISP router and modem take 14-18ms to even process my packets. They are only provider with decent speeds. How can I go about resolving this or get better equipment without having to pay just for a chance of remedying this? I really don't want to have 2 service calls and then escalate to someone who will try to convince me that this is reality and nothing is wrong.

2. 386SX

386SX Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    I use a router (AVM Fritz!Box 6591 Cable, DOCSIS 3.1) on 1gbit/50mbit.
    Ping to router is less than 1ms.
    1st hop is about 4 to 10ms.
    Speedtest depends on the server tested, about 15 to 30ms.