high ping (In OW2) with new pc, wired connection

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by fantaskarsef, Jan 29, 2024.

1. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    No. Your line seems fine! This is no proof!

@Ghosty I really don't know what's up with you lately? Don't you read any previous posts? Pathping is ping + tracert. Telling @fantaskarsef to run tracert again is a fool's errand.

@fantaskarsef your values are "fine" and do not necessarily point towards an error.

A lot of servers on the net do not respond to ICMP messages (=ping), so it is "normal", or call it "intended behaviour", that some servers do not reply. But as you can see they NEVER reply. If you would see partial packet loss, like 68% packet loss (not 0%, but not 100% neither!), well THEN there is an issue.

Your values look fine, better than mine to be honest. :D

Have you experienced this behaviour on only one PC or are multiple machines affected by that issue?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2024
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Okay, well I wouldn't know a standard since I've run tracert the first time in my life...
    I will see if my HTPC in the same network has similar behaviour, but I can't test in games since there are none installed, and the 2400g won't be able to run stuff at all I suspect...

Will have to look at it sometime tomorrow though, as I'm busy with a big birthday party tonight, and probably will sleep in tomorrow morning after partying :D

386SX and mbk1969 like this.
  3. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    So... I just started up OW2 and checked the ping again, almost 400ms. Out of madness (repeating that and expecting a different result) I did that.
    Flushed my DNS, logged in again and saw my ping was still 55-60ms, but it helped considerably.

Does that give me any info on what I could do to improve my situation? Do I have an issue with my DNS distribution and should I set the router to use 8.8.8.8 or 9.9.9.9?

edit: turning off my router's DHCP server did not change it to the better. Do I need DDNS to be active? I don't think it ever was

Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
  4. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    You can measure that by DNSbench. Add the servers you want to test and run a benchmark. Do not forget to put your router's dns servers in there as well, as ghe router has a limited cache, then requests get sent to the external dns servers.

In my case Quad9 is fastest, followed by dns0.eu (I use DoT, both servers support it).

Best luck! ;)

5. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I did manage to install OW2 on my HTPC (2400G) and despite the horrible performance, ping seemed to be within WLAN margin to the LAN connection of my main rig.
    I know it's a botched comparison (should use the same LAN cable), but as an indicator I guess that's okay.
    Hard fact though, as I have another OS on there too (10 LTSC age old build) I doubt I could get any viable information out of a quick test.

6. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well the only thing reliably helping is actually to release and renew my WAN lease via the router's browser management software.
    I guess after all I'll see if I can get some information out of my ISP.

7. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    What do your modem signal stats looks like?

Usually accessed in a web browser by going to 192.168.100.1 or the default gateway IP if you are using a cable gateway not in bridge mode (modem router/combo unit).

fantaskarsef likes this.
  8. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    It's a cable modem so I'm not sure what you mean by signal status. It's a copper line to my home, I use an ethernet cable from the router to my PC, and just right before I switched PCs everything worked fine.
    No it's not in bridge mode (my modem/router can't do that afaik and as far as I have seen).
    Pings, pathpings and what not to my ISP and big servers look okay but I'm almost 100% certain it's an issue with my modem or my ISP since I tried everything I could over the past two weeks. Tried all the tips fellow gurus gave me, those I found online, and none helped.

I'm basically down to reinstall windows, change ethernet cable, change the cable between my wall box and my modem, and call the ISP (either that my line's botched or the modem is). Will get new cables Saturday morning but will probably give my ISP a call this afternoon to check if they "see something on their end of the line", e.g. if my wall box with the plug's broken or anything in that regard.

You got any tips in the matter? What signal do you refer to in your post?
    Thanks for responding though anyway!

9. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    Open a web browser and type 192.168.100.1 or the default gateway shown in your network adapter's ipv4 setting on your computer.

Below is an example of what the page may look like

[​IMG]

fantaskarsef likes this.
  10. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well I can honestly say, my modem/router does not have anything that looks like this in any of the pages in there that relates to WAN or LAN in my network. It's a Technicolor CGA2121 and it does not have anything showing that for cable reception (via copper from the ISP) nor via ethernet cable to the PC. It does have different interfaces and such for WLAN use, but yeah, that's not what I use, and thus it's not my issue here.

11. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    It does as all cable modems have it.

Since the cga2121 is a gateway (modem and router combo unit) unless you have put it in bridge mode (which turns off the router portion of the gateway), you'll need to enter the gateway's IP address in a web browser (below screenshot shows 192.168.0.1 as an example with that gateway. Your's may be set to a different address so you'll need to find it either terminal command or in the network adapter settings menu of your computer).

If your menu looks like the below, choose "Status" and then "Status (DOCSIS)" to view your signal stats (cable modems work with Radio Frequency/RF). Depending on what your cable signal stats are, can be a culprit to your latency issues as well.

[​IMG]

If your menu looks like the below, choose "Status" then "Connection"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2024
  12. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yes you are right this is the "basic" menu of my router. Never used it though but went advanced quickly. I'll try to use the basic and search for that "Status Docsis", thank you for making me aware of this!
    Now the main question (since my menu at least in advanced mode does NOT look like your second picture), does that show what's "normal"? E.g., what signal strength is considered "normal" to get via cable? Just to remind you, I use a wire from my socket on the wall to the router and ALSO ethernet to connect the PC to the router / modem.
    I just can't do it today since I'm working a 24h / night shift and can't check before tomorrow morning when I get home. But I'll post results here tomorrow then, thank you for your patience in advance.

I also will call my ISP tomorrow to see if there is any issue. One thing I'm not sure is if the ISP requires to "enable" new devices plugged into the modem, as in a new mac adress needing to be certified in some sort.

Mda400 likes this.
  13. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    @fantaskarsef here's the manual, chapter 4.1.3 describes the Status menu.

https://www.mdcc.de/media/uploads/f...cher/Benutzerhandbuch_Technicolor_CGA2121.pdf

The values can be seen in "DOCSIS information" or "Internet information" I guess.
    It would be helpful to see a screenshot of both menus.
    SNR is what you want to look after while diagnosing cable line quality. Most of the time this either is too low or too high, so errors occur.
    In Germany less than about 30 and higher than 50 are almost guaranteed to give you problems.
    If values are too low, ISP maybe can change something on ISP side, delivering a stronger signal.
    If it's too strong, then "Dämpfungsstücke" exist which you can insert between modem and the cable which leads into the wall.
    My signal is too strong, so I have a 6db piece in there.
    Those cost a few bucks (less than 10 Euros) here, so even if you have to buy it separately it doesn't have much impact on your purse. ;)

And NO, usually your ISP is not allowed to require you to send your LAN device list.
    If your ISP does, I would recommend a firewall immediately! :D

Best luck! :)

fantaskarsef and Mda400 like this.
  14. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    It's not just SNR to look at (you may be referring to upstream power level as there is never too much SNR), as I had 40db snr and I was getting uncorrectables higher than correctables on some downstream channels. Changed the splitter and the issue was resolved.

Ingress of other signals into the cable line through a bad splitter or weak coax cable can cause latency issues due to uncorrectable errors.

Ideal downstream power is between -10 to 10 dbmv (closer to 0 the better, this can change with temperature/season change though).

Ideal upstream power is between 37 and 52 dbmv.

Lower the downstream power, the upstream power raises. Fun balancing act as you may know :D

Last edited: Feb 9, 2024
    fantaskarsef, tsunami231 and 386SX like this.
  15. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Well I am a relative "newbie" when it comes to DOCSIS as a whole. If there is a spectrum from 0 to 10 regarding knowledge I would give myself a 3 or 4. The specs are horrible to dig through and understand relations and stuff. Thanks for explaining a bit. Indeed maybe I got this stuff wrong in my head as the last time I cared about my cable connection was years ago. Sorry for the confusion. ;)

fantaskarsef and Mda400 like this.

16. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    ah, no worries.

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I remeber explain this to cable guy for my isp down in North Carolina.Cause i had constant disconnect lag other fun issues 6+ months. I he looked at me like i had 3 heads and said there nothing wrong with lines or modem and left. Call the company again tell them to send another guy cause issues arent fixed. the sent senior tech, I explain to all to him too, and he was like you understand this, he went across the street to see the node feed my line and fixed.

Sadily i now have ISP modem and router now in NC and i cant see that signal strength anymore. and ISP router can see ever device on network. and only way to access router info is threw app that has that list of devices.

386SX, fantaskarsef and Mda400 like this.
  18. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well friends, here's the screenshot out of the status menu:

upload_2024-2-12_16-59-56.png

As you can see, it does not really give me any data to go work with in terms of WAN connectivity... the good part is, five green spaces with checkmarks are seemingly a good thing.
    I did call the ISP and they did a remote check to see if things are okay here, and it looks like they are, more or less.
    I can now show and confirm that there is no reception data. I can also confirm, the device is not in bridge mode.
    I can confirm that the ISP did notice my 50 resets of the router over the last two weeks, and that they say it should all work as intended.

Still 60 ping instead of 40 with my new rig... but not much more I could do, as those 60 seem to be somewhat stable over the last days.

Apologize my late answer but RL kind of caught me off guard.

Mda400 likes this.
  19. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    No way to know for sure unless you have a modem that can show the specific information of each channel.

Does your ISP allow customer-owned modems? Using your own modem will be cheaper in the long run than having to pay a monthly fee to rent from them.

Also, try winmtr and see which hop to something like google.com (or if you know the hostname of game servers you connect to) is causing the most packet loss.

https://github.com/White-Tiger/WinMTR/releases

Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
  20. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    As far as I remember they don't allow private modems, but I used to have a router behind it without issues.
    Luckily, I have my contract long enough to not have to pay a monthly fee but had to put down a deposit instead of a monthly fee. A lot of money I saved over the years.
    If I would have to upgrade to something like the Fritzbox, I'd have to switch over to the monthly fee.

Mda400 likes this.