High-End PCs Will See "Resurgence" in 2016, Valve Rep Says

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by sammarbella, Jan 1, 2016.

1. CDJay

CDJay Member Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 FE SLI
    Obviously. I mean, people definitely by and large prefer running around outside playing football than FIFA. Right?

Oh.

Anyone talking about VR right now is shooting in the dark; no-one has *any* idea what the next few years will bring. Unless you've actually USED the CV1 Rift, in which case that's approaching a valid informed opinion of a pre release product. Otherwise it's all preconception, and every major shift has seen lots of people shortly beforehand confidently predicting that computers/the internet/smartphones won't matter to anyone.

They look like idiots, now. Hedge your bets, kids.

CDJay

2. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080GTX STRIX
    It's bound to happen, just "when" is the question imo. Currently I recon end user hardware is not up to the task at all though, not even my PC would when I added a TITAN.

Framerate, fluidity, ... alot of things to keep track of. For instance, the 3D I get in most movies give me migraines. NVIDIA 3D with 60 fps per eye didn't. Imagine the migraines I (and possibly other users) would get when you get a badly implemented virtual reality.

3. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Darn right. I do think VR headsets have good potential for sims but I can't imagine wanting to play anything else with one.

4. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    I'm actually looking forward to it. It's a whole new experience not looking at a monitor with your peripheral vision still showing everything else. Even with the peripheral vision of other things there, it's still a whole new feeling. Check out any VR videos on Youtube with your phone to see what I mean.

My only concern about VR headsets is if there will be some that allow me to use my own headphones. I have Beyerdynamic DT 990s and and Philips Fidelio L1s, I don't want to use whatever headphones may come with a VR set.

5. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Id much rather all this money and resources be pooled into creating actual new gaming experiences like smarter ai or new gameplay mechanics.

First person isnt new, sticking a headset on isnt going to improve the core mechanics in anyway meaningful way.

Once the novelty factor wears off and people become tired of having to put a headset on just to play boggle or rocket league, then VR will just be in the same place it always finds itself.

I mean, HD is great and all, same with 120/144Hz, but if your like me, once you've got your hands on the screen, you go through each different type of game or your favs and test it out. Once thats done, the novelty has pretty much faded and more so once im back to playing my main title, i no longer see the difference that the higher fps provides.

6. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 2080Ti FE
    Most PC gamers build their own high end PC's. So what we are more likely to see in 2016, is a resurgence of high end COMPONENTS being bought. Intel is due to release the next generation of i7 extreme chips in Q2 and we'll likely see the new AMD/Nvidia GPU's get released around March/April.

7. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT UV 1950~
    pc gaming has increased it's share pretty much every goddamn year while being dying.