High End Build ($3k +) Seeking feedback

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Luponius, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Luponius

Luponius Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 580 1536MB
    @sdamaged99 I do plan to overclock because I'm honestly interested in doing so, not so much for the massive boosts in performance, although it's always welcome. Think of it as a personal project I plan to undertake later down the line, just for the heck of it.

Thanks for the confirmation in regards to the bundle and RAM. I do indeed plan to render videos, and for quite some time too, which is where hopefully the 2600K will come in to be helpful above and beyond what an i7 950 would be. Once again, I can't confirm the bundle to be available. I have a small issue I have to iron out about this all before I can even go for it :(

@sever I plan on at least right now, running 2 1TB HDDs in RAID 0 configuration. I pointed out the P8P67 mobo because it's in a bundle. I checked the motherboard you suggested on both newegg and OC.couk and nothing turned up.

@TruMutton_200Hz Holy crap that looks like a truck's exhaust :O I can't say it looks bad or runs weak, the price is a bit higher than what I'd like to spend at this point in time, I've attempted to search for benchmarks and failed.

Can I please get some sort of link which provides results as to how well it cools, I'm convinced that going for the CNPS 9900 is probably best not done for now, but I do want to get a non-stock CPU cooler, and if it turns out to be quite a beast, I'll get on to overclocking sooner than expected should I need the extra push for video rendering.

Finally, the 140mm FAN link you provided me with - thanks, but at the same time I'm kind of lost. Not sure what I should be looking at, I just saw a ton of weird ass pictures which made me do weird faces :p Any guidance on that? =]

Thanks for the feedback and support, and wish me luck with the supplier's reply! >.<

Lupo ^_^

2. Luponius

Luponius Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 580 1536MB
    Update: The supplier replied with the following, could you please provide any details available:

3. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    Display: btw, why dont get the acer 24" 120hz monitor instead of that benq? or at least some VA/IPS panel. That benq its quite... meh for a high end and money build. Or you can go for a 30" fullHD TV. Many people i see with those.

Sound card: Also idk if that card is something special, but its not well known, why 35€? i mean, for 50€ you can get a true good one.

GPU: I also would change that 580 for 570SLI, 570 are near 300€ this days in some shops.

Storage: Get two samsung F3 1gb RAID0 instead of caviar black, much better value per money imo. And then get a SSD with the 80-90€ you save + a little more and you rape your current storage system at almost the same price.

PD: Simark looks kinda expensive >_<, maybe not for a physical shop if they have it...

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  4. Luponius

Luponius Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 580 1536MB
    Because prices are sky high? :O

Ah now I see the problem. When I typed "Sound" i didn't mean a sound card but a sound set. That's an actual 2.1 Surround set (2 satellites, 1 sub) operating at 33W RMS (true power). I'm sticking to the integrated sound card that will come with the motherboard.

If I choose to switch to a sandy bridge setup I'll only have one PCIe operating @ 16x which probably means it will hurt the second GPUs performance.

€80-€90 will net me a 30Gig SSD. This basically means the Boot files, possible one game installed on it. I don't feel like this will rape anything to be honest, if anything else I'd be wasting a lot of time uninstalling and installing games I might want to play.

Boot times won't really matter to me, that's something that might happen occasionally and that is. I still plan on getting an SSD once prices drop and storage space rises and set that as the Boot disk. Right now it's just not viable.

I know right? It's not really physical either, mostly deals with deliveries and whatnot, the problem is everything is like so in this country, it doesn't matter what product you might be looking at, we're squeezed down to our bones -.-

Lupo.

5. Chock

Chock Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x670GTX @40"+26" Samsung

2500K + Board + 8gb ram = 500e
    2x560ti / 2x570gtx
    1250W enermax revolution

ssd + 4harddrives for storage
    x-fi as a soundcard

with the rest you get yourself a good cpu cooler, a nice chassis, and you will still have enough money left to upgrade your monitor or other litle things.

i dont see any reason not to buy sandy bridge. overclocks incredibly good, and you will need a fairly high overclock if you want the gfx performance to shine.

i actualy just build almost the same pc for a friend of mine with a budget of 2200e. the whole system cost me about 1700 to build and for the rest i watercooled it.

6. Luponius

Luponius Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 580 1536MB
    CPU + mobo alread adds up to 500e. the ram is another 110e. I understand your build fits your bill fine, but in my country things are effed up good. It also appears as if I'll be swimming in the same area by switching to sandy.

The CPU boost will be nice, but I'll be getting just the exact amount I can with the motherboard which will leave me with little space to move should I consider another GFX card, which is what everyone is suggesting anyways...

I just wish prices weren't so messed up, it would have been so much easier -.-

7. Imglidinhere

Imglidinhere Guest

GPU:
    12GB RX 6700XT
    There is no reason to spend three thousand dollars on a computer build if you aren't going to be buying the best that you can get for every penny. If you want the best, then wait until the Sandy Bridge comes out, take suggestions from people who know what's good, and don't defend your choices because people don't see why you chose them. I wouldn't ever drop three hundred dollars on a CPU and NOT overclock it. That's a waste of money in itself.

You have a budget of three thousand dollars. Get a sound card for christ's sake. That's retarded to not have good sound. I had an eighteen hundred dollar build and I had a sound card. You can do the same.

You have a budget of three thousand dollars. Buy a solid state drive for your operating system at least. I had one in my build that cost half of this one.

You have a budget of three thousand dollars. Get two cards and SLI both of them. There's no reason to do anything else.

I've stated your budget several times now and if that hasn't let you know about how much you're willing to drop on a computer then nothing will.

8. ISM084

ISM084 New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    luponius int kumidjant mate eminni

9. Chock

Chock Ancient Guru

GPU:

nothing to add here. this is exactly what i think when i see your post. you state your budget, you ask for advice. people give you advice, yet you reject it and try to defend your reasons for it.

ask yourself. why did i ask for advice in the first place?

btw

i5-2500K = 195e
    P8P67 Evo = 180e
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600mhz cl9 1.5v = 84e

thats well below 500e

10. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    Not here

dell 23" IPS panel 215€
    Benq 24" VA (depends of your ghosting sensitivity) 215€
    Acer 120hz 299€.

And the one you picked, its 200€ here too. Ok in ultramalta they are not avaiable, you shud seek for other shop, maybe OCUK if they send everything together.

I said 90€ you save and a little more you put (you have 2300€ or not?) and get a SSD, 120gb/60gb ssd its more than enough, OS and maybe one game, why more, its not like a raid0 of samsung F3's are gona be slow.

PD: PCIE 2.0 8x wont hold back a 570SLI by a lot (maybe a 5%), get a 560SLI and they wont hold back. They are a better choice, but its just my opinion, maybe 580 its better bcs of no depending of drivers. Upto you.

11. Luponius

Luponius Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 580 1536MB
    ISMO84: lol

Imglidinhere: Yeah, I may actually have just a very wrong idea of my prices, might be just I'm missing something, so I decided to try the following:

CPU & Mobo
    i7 2600K + Asus P8P67 (Estimated at about 500EUR, probably a bit more) - Will overclock this and get a reasonable CPU cooler

Cooler
    Prolimatech Super Mega CPU Cooler + 2 140MM fans which I can't find (The fans I ain't including because ain't found any that fit the bill) - 75 EUR (Make it 80, although probably way more with both fans)

RAM
    Corsair Vengeance 2x 4G - 112EUR

Storage
    2x Seagate 1TB 32MB SATA300 - 110EUR
    1x SSD 40GB - 94 EUR

I was also quoted the following:

SSD options from Scan

Case & Supply
    HAF X & Corsair HX 850W - 200EUR + 175 EUR

GFX Got a few options here:
    GTX 580 @ 570EUR
    GTX 570 SLI @ 375x2 = 750EUR (Damn...)
    GTX 560 SLI @ 289x2 = 580EUR (Doesn't sound bad)

Display
    The only 120Hz I found was a 22" which drops me to 1680x1050 Resolution, making the other components pointless. This is priced @ 300 EUR

List of choices from Scan

Would appreciate if someone a bit more experienced with monitors could pinpoint one that fits the bill. I'll be temporarily choosing that 22" Monitor when giving the final collective price, although I would prefer a widescreen monitor @ 1900 pixels width.

Mouse & Keyboard
    G15 & Ikari - EUR 75, EUR 45

UPS Kind of needed due to the problems with brownouts and sags in our house (lights often dim out or flash)
    Blazer Line Centralion - 165 EUR

Sound Card
    No idea, please pick, I'll consider this to be in a 40EUR price range for final estimate

Sound System
    2.1 Speedlink Vevo (2 sattelites, 1 sub) - 35 EUR

DVDRW
    Samsung SH S233C - EUR 20

Headset
    Steelseries Siberia (Based on advice I've read I won't really be getting this but I'll use it to just get a price estimate together for now - EUR 65

Total Result and Thoughts
    2600 EUR or $3500 (approximates)

I'd like to bump this down a bit, and I'm positive I made some mistakes along the way, but at least I can provide something to be worked upon, to avoid sounding like I'm outright rejecting all useful information I'm being provided with. Any higher than 2400 EUR is kind of a no-go for me.

A few things I'd like to point out:

Case, PSU, Mouse, Keyboard: I'd like to keep these as are, Case and PSU I feel are very solid choices which will see me through several changes, and the Keyboard and Mouse are components I am honestly excited about and would prefer not to mess with them.

Display - Don't want it to be any lower than 23". Ideally 24" and above. I don't quite see me noticing anthing changing above 60FPS (Heck it doesn't seem to change a bit between 30FPS and 60FPS afaik) so I'm not sure if 120Hz is actually necessary.

Sound Card - No clue, I always assumed that whatever the motherboard will provide me will be just fine for my gameplay experience. Feel free to point any out from the websites provided at the end of this post.

Graphics - I'm just not feeling "right" with getting an SLI. I've seen them mess around, and even though it may sound stupid and weird of me, I'd honestly feel much more at ease relying on a single powerful GPU to do all the work, and worst case scenario I'll drop the settings a little bit (although based on benchmarks this won't be necessary for quite some time). Still I understand the P.O.V of installing an SLI. The more the merrier, right?

CPU & Mobo bundle - I'd expect this to be somehwere around 520 EUR or so, based on what the supplier replied back with, but I don't really have exact numbers so I rounded it to a solid value to get a decent idea)

Storage - 40Gig is still kind of too little, but it is actually true, I could always drop a game (maybe two, although I doubt it) and run everything else from the RAID 0 configuration which may not be as fast as the FAEX1002 on RAID 0, but should get the job done (especially for recording video game footage, using a seperate HDD while launching from the SSD should be quite nice, any confirmation?

Wesbites
    http://ultramalta.com/
    http://www.scanmalta.com
    http://www.simarksupplies.com (Apply an 8% Discount)
    http://iescomputers.com/ (Add an 18% VAT to all prices shown)
    http://www.******************** (Not guaranteed to get what's available from here, since it depends on Simark)

Hopefully this can get us both in a more understanding position as we are. At this point I did include an SLI (although I'd still prefer to stick to a single GPU, and possibly keeping everything else as mentioned above, based on the feedback I acquired).

The good points I see with this build is that I'll most definitely find it more effective during video rendering when I get the 2600K in the picture. Yes, I'd most definitely clock this up to around 4.6Ghz or so. Storage wise I'm kind of satisfied, although a slightly larger SSD would be ideal, that's what I can work with so... yeah, heh.

The bad point on the other hand is I slightly overshot the budget, and I still have a few components which aren't quite lined out due to lack of experience. I'd appreciate your guidance in that regards, thanks and feel free to criticize/change any part mentioned above.

Lupo.

12. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Yes, I agree with the above posters. Get sandy bridge, it's the best. 8x PCI-e will be only negligible difference in SLI compared to 16x. Honestly you won't notice it. Also 560 SLI or 570 SLI isn't a bad idea either, neither is a sound card.

And if you buy a high end intel processor, you will be doing sin by not overclocking it. Any good cooler will keep load temperatures reasonable even if your room temperature is 30+C, because load temperatures depend much more on the quality of cooling than on room temperature.

You asked for advice on headsets before - well, I can only really recommend what I've tried. That is, Sennheiser PC 350. The sound quality on it's own isn't amazing, but when coupled with a decend sound card that has a headphone amp and Dolby Headphone (read: Asus Xonar Xense), it's gaming performance will be awesome. Even my Xonar DX which does not have a headphone amp makes it sound excellent: deep clear bass, clear mid tones and highs, excellent soundstage.

13. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    40GB SSD is barely enough for two games. Need at least 80GB if you want to have multiple games installed IMO.

It's not necessarily worth it to spend on an SSD if the computer is purely for gaming. You can get away without an SSD even if the budget is $3000, that just allows you to prioritise on other components that are more relevant to gaming. Besides, SSD prices go down fast all the time, get it when it's more mainstream.

Also as it's a gaming computer, you won't need 2600K. 2500K will do fine and still perform and overclock better, and at lower temps, than i7 950.

FPS =/= refresh rate. Any game feels much smoother on a 120hz display even if the framerate is only 60. 120hz displays essentially remove all refresh rate related tearing from games, it's just more pleasing to look at. And yes, you definitely will notice the difference when going from 60fps to 120fps when using 120hz display. On a 60hz display, you woulnd't necessarily notice it.

14. Luponius

Luponius Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 580 1536MB
    Thanks for clearing that up. And I'd assume FPS any higher than 60 wouldn't show on 60Hz monitors anyways because the picture can only be recreated at a maximum of 60 times per second, am I right on that? And more importantly, could you possibly pinpoint an viable monitor to go for which is ideally at or above 24" in size, and satisfies any other quality recommendations you believe would be right? Thanks =]

When it comes to storage, I could shift back to the x2 FAEX1002 which takes me from 210 EUR back down to 175EUR and put that saved money towards the CPU cooler (which I'm honestly expecting to play out to be at around 75EUR +(10 x 2) = 95 EUR (adding 2 x140mm Fans as suggested earlier) and towards the monitor.

When it comes to the 2500K recommendation, I could possibly go for a similar bundle for CPU + Mobo but take the 2500K & P8P67 instead of the 2600K & P8P67Pro. This plays out to be exactly 100 pounds cheaper, at least on OCUK Link (make sure you edit it:)

http://www.[B]ocuk[/B]/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-014-OP

So to compress my requests:
    -Confirm the above 2500K bundle, please.
    -Confirmation in regards to SLI running on x8,x8 PCIe not losing any real performance
    -GTX 560 SLI runs better than GTX 580? (Off the top of your head, review link is welcome if you have it handy)
    -Monitor choice? No idea what to go for when it comes to that.
    -Sound card choice?
    -CPU Cooler Fan choice? Something that goes well with the prolimatech mentioned above.

Would appreciate any and all help on the above 6 points.

15. ISM084

ISM084 New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580

16. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Well, if your framerate is around 60, there's no guarantee that the refresh rate will be synchronised with the fps to reduce frame skipping/tearing. If your FPS is over 60 you can lock it at 60 with vertical sync on to improve smoothness but at the cost of slight input lag. At 120fps on a 60hz monitor with no Vsync, the effect should in theory be similar to having vsync on but without the input lag. However it is also true that a 120hz screen will display a much smoother image at 60fps than a 60hz screen locked to 60fps with vsync.

I have read great reviews of both ASUS VG236HE and LG W2363D. Both are 23" though, I don't know of any 3D displays that would be 24" or over.

Though expensive, the megahalems in a 140mm push pull configuration is an extremely good air cooling solution. There doesn't seem to be much choise at simarksupplies either, if you want to get the most out of your processor.

You're not forbidden to google stuff yourself you know. Reviews are easy to find. Regardless, I will help you.

x8 x8 vs. x16 x16 performance review: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pcie-geforce-gtx-480-x16-x8-x4,2696-10.html

GTX 560 SLI review: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_560_Ti_SLI/23.html

At your resolution 560 Ti SLI is on average about 10% faster than GTX 580 across the applications tested in that review, but that is at reference clocks. It is very game dependent though, in some games you get easily 30-40% more performance (e.g. AvP).

Also it will overclock very easily, even with the reference cooler. You should be able to easily hit a 10% overclock from the 822MHz reference clock.

I have Xonar DX and I love it. Great sound quality and features for basic gaming needs. It comes with an equalizer profile system and Dolby Headphone / Virtual Speaker 7.1. Xonar Xense will have better components and a Headphone Amp in addition, but is almost twice the price too.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  17. Luponius

Luponius Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 580 1536MB
    Monitors: http://www.********************/productlist.php?groupid=17&catid=1851

Those are "3D ready" which basically means they all run at 120Hz, the price is higher a fair deal compared to what I'd like to spend. The good news about dropping prices from the CPU+Mobo and Storage allows me to possibly invest a bit more, still - locally only the 22" operate at 120Hz, which I'd rather avoid.

Megahelms - Yeah, based on the inputs I've so far received, they're about the only choice worth any money. I've yet to locate two decent 140mm fans, and once I do I'll have a better idea for the price estimates.

Soundcard - Below are the ones I've managed to locate. I'm currently above budget, so until I can chop it off quite a bit I won't really add a soundcard (but could easily do so later on when I've got more money to lay down on the system). If I can get my budget in check, on the other hand, I would most probably pick the Xonar DS card @ 45 EUR.

http://www.simarksupplies.com/Product.aspx/Category/C36-Soundcards
    http://www.scanmalta.com/eshop/inde...rds.html?SID=4c5b35797aabe38ca4071d08ae998865

Graphics: I searched for a possible review of GTX 560 vs a GTX 580, and only really stumbled across a ton of forum posts with several people saying "Multi GPU ftw" on one side, and other saying "GTX 580 - go big or go home".

I believe the ones you linked in regards to x8 and x16 scaling are about the GTX 480, not 560. It may or may not change considering the 560 is most definitely superior compared to the 480, although I'm mostly speculating in this case.

It does feel like overall the GTX 560 is a pretty solid investment though. Sure it would occupy two slots and most probably draw a bit more power, but I should be easily able to handle that with my current setup. The only question is the main difference between a GTX 480 and a GTX 560 when it comes to using x8 PCIe as opposed to x16.

I'm getting a basic list of as much of this stuff as possible, and hopefully rechecking all the prices to see where I am at, budget wise.

18. Chock

Chock Ancient Guru

GPU:
    where are you ordering from? give me the page and ill setup a computer and give you a screenshot with the setup so you can have a base for your build :)

19. Luponius

Luponius Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 580 1536MB
  20. Luponius

Luponius Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 580 1536MB
    Would also like some feedback on this 120mm fan:
    Enermax 120mm Red FAN. Not sure if it can be used with the CPU cooler, or if it's of any real value in the first place.