High End Audiophile thread

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    It does have direct modes so no all that useless stuff is gone. It may have gaming options but they have the pure audio quality covered too. Topping D30 has same DAC as Sound Blaster Z/Zx and the older Sound BlasterX G5.

The problem with current Topping products is that I think all of them have at least 10 ohm headphone out impedance. It would be too much for HD 595 for example (mid bass bloat). Although it looks like upcoming Topping DX3 Pro will finally fix that and it should be coming out next month (apparently around $200-$250). That would be worth it. Actually it should be a really good package.

Also just because something is not a "gaming toy" doesn't make it better than the "gaming toy". Identically configured Massdrop O2 amp that I have would cost $191.50 (with shipping, after that I'd have to pay 24% VAT on top) from JDS labs. Instead of ripoff price I paid a decen't ~100 € (had to but power adapter from Germany though). Simple loopback test gave superior results for AE-5 amp. AE-5 does sound noticeably better (and the pure numbers were rather shocking) to my ear too and it does have enough power to handle HD 6XX. And yes, HD 6XX sound better though AE-5's amp too. It's too loud even on low gain for my liking (at the moment I use 28% volume on low gain and use the old Zx volume pot at around 33% to further lower the sound) but then again my ears are pretty sensitive to loudness.

I did learn that buying sheit can be rather complicated...

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  2. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    Yea the Direct mode on the AE-5 disables all of the software suite features, so it useful for some one who only needs an source and none of the sound card features, and for it's price point, its an good option and does an very good job. Outside of it other functions. I use both Direct and the card DSP functions my self.

The SMSL SU-8 looks like another interesting option for an external dac, since it has Balanced output's at it's price point. There also another one that being worked on, the Massdrop x Grace Design Standard DAC which is suppose to be $149 which has Balanced output also, but sadly won't be out til 2019. First time reading about the Topping DX3 Pro, and it seems there isn't much info about it on the types of output's it will have, But I willing to bet it could be around 400-500ish price range like there DX7S if not more.

If I didn't need the functionally of the AE-5, I would had moved back to an external dac long ago as I miss having one especially one with an balanced output. While My Jotunheim does has it's dac addon board, lucky I didn't pay full price for it, because I the addon dac module doesn't sound that good.

3. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    On Reddit someone asked about Topping DX3 Pro price and "Topping told me that the price will be under 250$ so i think it will be 200-220$". Fingers crossed...
    There has been talk about that on some forums. Like here: https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...dsd-black-label-dacs-and-headphone-amps.3717/ and it looks like it's rather subpar implementation. Not sure how valid the testing his methods are but it doesn't look that good for Schiit. Your impressions seem to be inline with it though.

4. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PC VEGA64 Red Devil
    Managed to snag a used HD600 in near mint condition from a local seller at about 110USD, the headband pad needed to be replaced (and I'd already done so in the pic). Been listening and I get why it's such a much loved can, other than the headband replacement, the grill needs a little cleaning, will get to it soon. I'd kept the original cable in the box, I'm using the 4 pin XLR Balanced cable I'd gotten for my HD6XX.
    [​IMG]

Mufflore likes this.

5. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 570 SLI
    Made some headway on my listening room yesterday, I framed and hung a few concert posters that I received, i still have a few to get, but at least the wall does not look so bare now and the concert posters look great framed up.

[​IMG]

The1 and Mufflore like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.