High End Audiophile thread

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I could listen to them but I was already overwhelmed with what I heard that day. Will definitely listen to them once I get chance to visit headphone shop again.

I think I will compare R70X against DT1990, since they are more toward "monitoring" headphones.
    Thanks.

edit: oh, you might replied to Anarion. My bad.

2. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Actually i meant to reply to you, but some reason i selected anarion post instead of yours.

3. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    cheers :)

4. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Yeah, I agree with GC, do give the ATH-R70x a try.....it holds its own against the HD6XX.

5. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Really? I thought they are totally different headphones. We talking about warm/characteristic sound with HD6XX, and neutral/monitoring with R70X.

6. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Recently bought Sennheiser 280 Pro II (2016) model. Incredible set. It easily rivals HD 6XX series (5XX are not even in discussion they are weak). We are talking 5-10% difference in audible quality versus 300%-400% price difference. I highly recommend them.

7. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    There so much wrong with your comment, I don't know even from what to start.

Do you know the difference between open and closed headphones? Or at least monitoring and general consumer headphones?
    Please listen to headphones or at least try to google before spreading false information.

8. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    I know perfectly the differences. I just started a realistic and honest opinion. I don't care boasting about epeen thing like having an amp to control tons of ohms. And I don't care about breathing or hearing what others saying to me when I listen to something. So your comment about different types is irrelevant. Price alone doesn't matter to me. Only performance to price ratio.

9. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Not mentioning amping or pricing at all. If you listened to both and still prefer the other one its your preference, I have nothing against it.

Not caring what other say to you while listening sounds more like you wearing Open headphone? Didnt you say you have 280 pro?

10. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    This is obviously the "bass > everything else & B455 = quality" case. Judging by the graphs you trade the high frequencies for bass. If that's what he values....

While it may be a nice sounding headphone (for a closed headphone), I have not heard a closed can that I would pick over open back.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018

11. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Listen to it and tell me if it sounds neutral to you, it may not be warm per se, but it didn't sound neutral to me. Sorta reminds me of how some would describe the ATH-M50X as neutral sounding and a pair of good monitoring headphones.

12. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    https://i.imgur.com/BxUjE0z.jpg

got this nice little dude today. Straight from Chinese factory for 6$.

Got some nice features, can play mp3, flac and wav from direct input or memory card, Fm tuner and bluetooth.
    Bought it mainly for bluetooth, probably cheapest bluetooth receiver.
    Can listen to music without connecting iphone to speakers amp now :) Pretty handy.

13. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    First time I'd connected my phone to my Oppo HA-1 via BT, I was like, "That's so cool!".Now, the Samsung soundbar I'd gotten does BT as well, so loving them!

14. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Other then the brainwavz pads that I seen, there doesn't seem to be much of an option for better ear-pads. Since the stock ones on the R70X's is starting to wear out and starts to itch more.

Main issue is finding some better ear-pads that doesn't alter the sound signature of the Audio Technica R70X's,Or if they do only doing it an little. The brainwavz Hybrids was the only one so far that I seen people mention that fitted the headphones.

I don't really want to move from my R70X's, since I doubt I find any thing that gives me it exact sound signature, plus I getting tired of switching to different headphones.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  15. mezball

mezball Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 4080
    GenClaymore, Brainwavz make XL Pads that are much larger then their normal pads. They come in various material, you could try their all velour pads. I own the sheep skin, and hybrid pads, and they fit alot better on my HiFiman's, and AKG's. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076SLL6BK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also these work well, and did not change the sound, but they are from China. I have them on my gaming headphones, Audio Technica ATH-700X, for about a little over 2 years now. Surprising they are very soft, and comfortable. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Thick-Velo...phones-/251699464310?var=&hash=item3a9a750876
    (You must log in or sign up to reply here.)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018

16. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    I’ve been looking at these Brainwavz velour memory foam pads and was curious if they would fit the Steelseries Siberia 840...

17. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    The R70X cups are bigger then the normal ATH size cups, so I may have to get the one you linked, if not the XL Rounds. I just wish they didn't cost so much. But most likely I will since the stock pads now are worn out completely and the tip and upper sides of my ears touch the cups and hurts now.

18. mezball

mezball Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 4080
    Braimwavz have 3 diffrent sizes, Oval, Round, and XL Round. Just go to their web site here: https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/collections/headphone-pads and determine which size would fit your head phones, they have dimensions. I know the XL's fit the AKG 612's, Hifiman HE-400i, and HE-350's perfectly, no stretching needed to fit the rings, like you had to do with the oval's.

19. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Finally got a hold of some Brainwavz clone ear pads off eBay for 4 dollars which finally came. It was easy to get it on one ear, the other decided it was going to fight me. Finally Got it on after spending what seems like forever. now my R70X's are much more comfortable and my ears no longer touch the drivers. Although I kind wished I got the round versions, since those would had been easier to put on.

It doesn't sound like there was any changes in the sound quality, if there is, then it only an tiny bit.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    jaggerwild and mezball like this.
  20. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Just finished reconditioning my HD580 headphones. The velour pads were coated in years of humanity, the interior foam pads over the drivers have disintegrated, and the foam on the headband went completely flat.

Bought the headband foam from China maker over ebay. ($.99 + $2.99 for expedited shipping), which finally arrived after 2 weeks. Looks just like the OEM ones, but not flat. :)

Replaced the inner pads with nylon from a set of black nylon stockings. (Nylon is acoustically neutral. Make sure there are no creases when the cups attach) I washed the earcups in warm water and basic shampoo, and dried with a microfiber cloth. Then attacked the velour with a suede brush to restore the feel.

Overall, a success. :)

The1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.