High End Audiophile thread

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I'm kinda tempted to get a new pair of headphones. I want something different from my AD700 and DT880. I'm thinking Fidelio X1/X2, Sennheiser HD600 or AKG Q701... Looking around for some good deals...

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  2. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    As you can see from my pics, I have the ATH-AD700X, it's a more neutral set of can and very light on the bass, much like the DT880 which may be a bit better basswise. My DT990 has a V-shaped sound signature, that is, it has more bass compared to the DT880. The X1 has been said to be quite boomy, while the X2 is pretty good from what I've read. The HD600 is pretty damn good, seems most prefer it over the HD650 which is bassier and darker. So if you want a bassier can, look at the HD650. From those listed, I'd seriously consider the HD600 or X2...

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I have the Q701 white in my amazon basket... will have a stiff drink and then decide whether to pull the trigger. I want something different from my DT880 and AD700 and I think, from what I'm reading, the Q701 will fit the bill. It's also the sexiest headphone on the market, imo.

Will let you know whether I pulled the trigger :)

EDIT: Seeing pics of the Q701 in black with that green cable gives me a hard on. Hmmm... White or black?

EDIT: Now I'm also looking at the Fidelio X2... And my brain keeps telling me how much I love the DT880. hmmm indeed.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  4. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    LMAO, you must have had more than 1 drink, last time I've ever gotten a hard on from some Headphones, like never.... Actually I may have phoned ahead, get it lol :infinity:

5. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    The Q701 is an awesome gaming can....I loved it.....very comfortable.

I prefered the HD650 for music...but it would also make for a great gaming can as wood the HD600

The soundatage of the Q701 is very nice...but really bass light....HD650 does that way better in my experience.

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Anyone got some experience with the Fidelio X2? I'm kinda leaning towards something with not too wide a sound stage, because the AD700 are pretty wide already and while they're great for gaming (soundstage + super comfort), they're a bit too airy for some of the music I listen to.

7. Vandrende Pind

Vandrende Pind Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
    Hey eclap, I had the Fidelio X2 for a while but returned it because I wasn't happy with the tonal balance, it was too bright, the bass was too lean, it should had been fatter, and the mid range was too drawn back, too neutral freq resp. which doesn't sound completely natural to me, I like vocals more upfront. Female vocals sounded a tad thin. It's got quite a wide sound stage, with descent center focus, I you know what I mean. But it's an awesome headphone with the most deep powerful bass I've heard in an open dynamic can, and most people seem to like the X2. I went ahead and ordered a Fidelio X1 instead which should be darker, it should get here on Wednesday.

It had too much clamp force out of the box, but I believe it can be bend outward. It reminds me a lot of a dynamic version of the HE-6 actually, same tuning.

For me the HD650 with tubes is unbeaten in terms of musical enjoyment but like most Sennheisers it's bass light. The HD600 is good too, but I prefer the darker HD650.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  8. Vandrende Pind

Vandrende Pind Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
    Sold off my HE-6 after having it for 3 years, it will be missed, but I was getting tired of the bulkiness and weight, so time to try some new cans and no more planars for me. Found a local buyer which was nice.

[​IMG]

Recently tried out the Fidelio X2, it wasn't for me so next up is the X1. I've been toying with the idea of getting a JVC HA-SZ2000, I'm intrigued by the idea of having two drivers in each cub. :nerd:

[​IMG]

Also I went to a little audio get together with some nice folks, and tried out the Senn HE-60, HE500, a modded HE-6 and LCD-3 and a bunch of dacs and amps. I think the LCD-3 takes some time to appreciate, some cans are like that, because it didn't do much for me when I listened to it. The electrostatic HE60 Baby Orpheus was a very impressive listen. I was absolutely floored by listening to some high end speakers powered by the most beautiful wooden tube speaker amp. Crystal clear sweet analog sound.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    give us a quick review of X1 vs X2 please. I decided to buy a Ted Baker suit instead of buying headphones (they had a 50% sale going) but I'll be looking into getting some new headphones in January and the X1 and X2 are up there on my list.

EDIT: Sorry, I missed your X2 briefing above. HD650 and X1 sound appealing now, I don't have any dark headphones and I might just look into HD650 or X1. the X1 can be had reasonably cheap now as well. Thanks for your input mate.

EDIT2: I will wait for your review of the X1. The X1 can be had for about £60 less than the HD650 so I'll wait to see what you think. I've not had a Senn headphone in years, when back in the mid naughties I owned a few of their products and I loved them, more mid range stuff though.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  10. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    The HD650 makes music that is not recorded so well very musical, if that makes any sense.

It is a great can and so comfortable you can wear it all night.

Once I get my new OTL amp....I may revisit it again....it is dark and delicious :)

11. brunopita

brunopita Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming R9 270X 2GB
    Some godlike equipment here.

Extremely happy with my new Kingston HyperX Cloud. King Crimson just amazing. You all should try it, from In the Court of the Crimson King to Starless and Bible Black. Pure awesomeness.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  12. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Been there, done that!:cheers:
    [​IMG]

I still have it despite upgrading to reference/audiophile grade cans, great fun for gaming hooked up to my Asus Phoebus Solo.

Edit - I've arranged to get a Schiit Lyr + PYST interconnect cables as well as an iFi Nano iDSD (purely as DAC), this will be my main audio station, my Micro iDSD will be moved to my HTPC setup. Unfortunately, I have a trip to Guangzhou in a few days' time, so I'd not be able to get them till after I've returned in about a couple of weeks' time. So looking forward to this!:nerd:

Oh yeah, in case anyone's wondering why the Nano iDSD when there are cheaper DAC's around, it's simple: I have 1.4TB of DSD64 tracks, so the DAC's I buy MUST be able to handle DSD64 at the very least.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    The more I listen to Hotel California .flac through Aune T1 into DT880 Pro the more I can't get over how perfectly all of it is matched. It sounds amazing. The keyboard, the hi hats, the bass drum. That raw crunch of the guitar. Perfect. Can't get enough of it.

BTW, if any of you guys is selling Senns HD650 or know of anyone who is selling a mint pair, or who sees a good deal that ships to the UK on Head-Fi or similar forum, please let me know.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  14. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    I can get you a brand new pair for 220 pounds :)

regards,
    RagDoll.

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    you're in australia... I can get a new pair here for £229. I'm looking for a sub £200 deal. But thanks anyway.

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Just ordered Sennheiser HD650 from Amazon. Will be here tomorrow morning.

17. brunopita

brunopita Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming R9 270X 2GB
    Arcade Fire sounds amazing in a ~900 kbps flac file. The Reflektor album.

What kind of audio files do you use?

Hhow much improvement will I have if I use this Aune T1 with my Kingston HyperX Cloud? (What a beauty this amp is). The source are the flac files (Arcade Fire, Radiohead, Pink Floyd and King Crimson mostly)

18. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    Congrats, eclap.....it is a wonderful headphone.

Please post your impressions of it, once you have had some time with it....it is a super comfy headphone.

19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    They will come tomorrow morning, before 1pm, I'm working from 3pm though so I won't have much time to mess with them, gutted.

I'll definitely post back next week at some point with impressions.

EDIT: They're here, going through tracks.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  20. brunopita

brunopita Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming R9 270X 2GB
    With my Xonar DGX and the Kingston HyperX Cloud will I have much improvement with the AuneT1? It's really a beauty this one.

The Ummagumma live album is amazing in some good flac files.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.