1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High End Audiophile Thread Part 2

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by vbetts, Sep 24, 2018.

1. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    Ok, but in the end we are doing much more research when buying anyways ;)
    I will restrain then...

2. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    That "king of sound" is definitely an interesting one... He's prone to go overboard and some knowledge... His HD 58X review is a fine example of that (by the way, removing the paper from HD 58X isn't going to make it like HD 660 S - it's going to break; removing the foam doesn't do anything measurable but the crap can get in the driver more easily).

半分へんたいロリコン。。。なぁんてね.。確かに面白いやつだ、でもちょっと変人。

OnnA likes this.
  3. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
  4. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080 FE +200/+430
    I doubt schiit them selves even know what they are doing, If the G6 does that to the bifrost, I wonder how the AE-5 in Direct mode would do to it in measurements as well. It might be just the design of the dac modules, since they are suppose to be universal, with some slight changes for there different products. I honestly don't think schiit will change there designs for the better any time soon.

Also this looks like the bifrost from 2013, when Schiit had options for non USB and then USB for 100 more. I had this bifrost my self back then but with the usb input. When I had it paired with the Asgard.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019

5. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Also that fake CE logo is quite something... Something like that shouldn't happen for a product like this. It looks like their $99 stuff is by far more solid than their pricier products. That being said at this point there are far better alternatives.

Ended up getting these (Sony WH-1000XM3):
    [​IMG]
    Going to a trip soon so I though it would be a nice to have a proper headphones this time during flight. JAL does have noise cancelling headphones in premium economy class but those are more like better than nothing and not very comfortable (one ear style).

Also should be handy at work when trying to focus.

6. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    And that i call Quality :D
    Simply Amazing.

7. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    DiY -> Great YT

8. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Received my Sony WH-1000XM3 today. I wasn't excepting anything special sound quality wise and indeed, it's no contest between it and HD 6XX (or HD 58X). But the noise cancellation... is something else. It's perfect for travel and air plane use.

The Sony's sound signature is very warm. honestly, too high mid bass peak - causes more harm than good; no, it doesn't make EDM sound better in this case (it's just bloat that hurts the bass detail and everything around it). Makes HD 6XX sound bright (esp mids) and cold in comparison but also much, much more neutral if you swap between them. HD 6XX also has more treble detail (heck, clarity and detail across the board). Sony is not sibilant and somewhat soft sounding. HD 6XX are bright in comparison, thanks to much more prominent and brighter mids and clearer, tighter bass.

Then again, comparing open vs. closed headphones intended for different use case....

Disabling noise cancellation obviously improves the sound quality. All in all though the sound signature is quite pleasing and the drivers are quite high performing. For something wireless and noise cancelling.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 9:13 PM
    sverek likes this.
  9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    By the way, my O2 amp started to play ball. Not sure what happened but it now measures fine too. I did open it an push the opamps down so who knows... I can now use it as proper vol pot. The headphone out on AE-5 is too hot for my taste to give proper range. The vol pot from Zx isn't optimal so it's good that I can ditch it now. Unfortunately one screw is busted on my O2 but at least it's sealed...

Did a proper test for Sony's today at work. Indeed, they are comfortable which is nice. They do really nice job in blocking the noises. Going to Japan this Friday so that's when the true test is.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 8:19 PM
  10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    They munched your ears or the seat lol?

11. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    What are you talking about? :eek:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019 at 7:30 AM
  12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    I quoted it.
    You said "ate", I implied whatever had been comfortable was being eaten.
    I dunno, one tries to inject some humour into a mistake :shrug:

13. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    I know very well what you meant. Thus ninja edited the evidence out of the original post. :p

14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Cool, lost in translation.
    Internet fogworks at work lol.
    :)

15. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Uhh... I've made quite a few typos lately...

16. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Age related finger spaz I'm afraid, it doesnt get better.
    Neither do the people who pick up on it :p

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019 at 6:24 PM
  17. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Oh, I've done much worse I assure you. I wrote quite interesting stuff here when I was a kid (wow... it's actually been about 15 years since I registered). (Just don't try diggin' my old posts. :p)

To be honest I've been typoing forever and my grammar sucks. I hate to admit it but I can't write proper Finnish any more. My teachers would probably say that "hey, you never did!" and they'd be right. It has always caused problems for me, especially in junior high school or whatever is comparable to Finnish yläaste (grades 7–9).

Mufflore likes this.
  18. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    The noise cancelling worked great on the flight. It made a massive difference. In the end I could use the lowest volume setting and hear everything just fine. Unfortunately there was high pitched interference that was annoying (that audio output was far from clean).