1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High End Audiophile Thread Part 2

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by vbetts, Sep 24, 2018.

1. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    nvm

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  2. Chastity

Chastity Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    I did some refurbing recently on my HD580 Precisions. The velour pads are still fine, and needed a washing (badly), tho I did replace the foams on the headband. (The originals were completely flat). I replaced the original cable with a Cardas replacement, which improved the presentation, as it no longer sounds like it is coming from the middle of my head. :) The cable I purchased years ago, when they weren't abhorridly expensive as they are now.

3. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    HD580 Precisions with the plastic grille, right? You could try swapping the grilles with HD 600/650 ones. Some say it might open up the sound a bit (which kinda makes sense since that plastic grille covers is denser. You could even buy HD 58X and use it for spare parts. :D Just swap the driver and remove the grille foam (the outer foam that only HD 58X has - since that's not needed for HD580/HD 600/HD 650 style drivers because the driver is protected, unlike HD 58X; it doesn't really affect the sound though) and bam - as good as new.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    I replaced the foam on my HD650 with a cutout from a pair of tights stretched over the opening.
    It increased detail a smidge, it is a good upgrade if your system isnt bright.
    Trim the tights after stretching to shape (once the earpieces are clipped back on) so they dont flap around the outside.
    The same should work for any headphone that can take foam grilles.

5. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 570 SLI
    The HD650 is a great headphone. I have owned one on a couple different occasions, and I would not be surprised if I owned one again someday.

This is a headphone that one can listen to for long periods without any fatigue from too much treble.

A classic headphone that has stood the test of time.

6. Chastity

Chastity Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    I also forgot to mention that the original foam covers for the drivers disintegrated, and I replaced those with nylon cutouts from a pair of black stockings. I guess you did the same.

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Heh yep, it might have been you that gave me the idea.

8. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2019 at 11:48 AM
  9. Chess

Chess Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1080Ti Stri
    Can owers here compare the HD650, Amiron home and the LCD-2c against each other?
    Preferred Cans for music genres / applications, What DAC/op-amp ( thats nitpicking, but you can't know too much.. ) and what Amp completes which can?

My goal is to reach my end-game cans. Yes, cans. Plural ^^
    Thanks!

10. LNCPapa

LNCPapa Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    I've got the HD6xx and the LCD-2 non-fazors, but not the Amiron. My current chain consists of a Topping D50 > Woo Audio WA7 because the DAC in my WA7 went kaput. When my WA7 DAC was working perfectly I almost exclusively used my LCD-2 but since I added the Topping my normal go to is the HD6xx. The LCD-2 still sounds better than the HD6xx in almost everything but I have to wait longer for the WA7 to warm up in order for the LCD to really sound its best. Also there is the weight. I am fine with the weight of the LCD but it is definitely MUCH heavier than the 6xx. I use both cans for gaming as well as listening to music (I typically play single player games and listen to lossless & hi-res jazz, soul, and neo-soul.) I also use the 6xx when playing MMOs and talking to my buddies via a Yeti mic. FYI - I used the LCD-3 non-fazor for a while in my WA7 and liked them even more than my LCD-2 but it's kind of difficult to find non-fazor LCD-3 now and after some life changes I had to stop dumping so much money into headphones so I never got around to getting a pair.

TL;DR - LCD-2 is better than the HD6xx in almost every regard except weight but I still use the 6xx more.

11. Chess

Chess Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1080Ti Stri
    Thanks for replying. WA7, that's the cube of glass with tubes, right? Is it a full or hybrid tube amp? Reason I'm asking is because most people prefer solid state amps for LCD's instead of tubes.
    But I guess you're not most people ^^.

It's good to hear, really.
    Could you comment what precisely makes them sound better?

12. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    @LNCPapa

Amiron Home has way more treble in it than HD6XX or LCD2. If you are sensitive to treble, I highly suggest to audition them before buying. It will take some time to get used to Amiron Home and some songs with SS vocals might sound sibilant.

Out of 3 headphones you mentioned, Amiron Home is the least safe for ears, however probably provide the most details.

If you want to game or listen to music such as EDM or electro swing, Amiron Home could be worth it.
    For more relaxed music, I wouldn't consider them.

I'd say HD6XX are the most cost efficient headphones.

13. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 570 SLI
    Funny that you should mention the LCD 3 pre-fazor as I have just been able to get one in the last two weeks. Man, are you ever right, these are getting hard to locate.
    I am quite enjoying them with blues music of all sorts....these have the most liquid mids of any headphone that I have tried so far, just a dream to listen too.
    I am also a sucker for the planar bass, so I will definitely be keeping these.

I am enjoying them with SS and tubes on a transformer coupled tube amp.
    These are pretty heavy, so I grabbed the suspension headband for them and the comfort level and fit are much better, definitely worth it.

It is great to see people still enjoyng the HD600 and the HD650...such great headphones that have stood the test of time.
    I know most headphones seem to scale well to a certain extent....better amp & dac ext.....but that certainly seems more true in my experience with the HD650, this headphone just keeps giving the more your chain improves.

If I had to live with one headphone and this was it...I would have no complaints. Anybody fortunate enough to have one is living large in the audio world IMO. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    My new Daily (This Basss :D)
    BFV is better now.

Audeze LCD-4

15. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    Interesting lesson:

16. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    I think their strongest point is that they don't suck at anything - HD 600 series headphones are really well balanced. Although... They do have their strong points: mids and smooth yet detailed treble (with noticeably less grain that on some other headphones). When you try to upgrade from those to another dynamic driver headphone it seems that most just have too many deal breaking issues and aren't really an upgrades at all (you loose great mids or the treble is totally screwed).

It's a bit rich that Sennheiser is selling the HD 650 for 459 € when you can get it from Massdrop for $200. Then again... $200 is ridiculous considering what you get because in reality it competes in much higher price category.
    [​IMG]