High End Audiophile Thread Part 2

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by vbetts, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Unfortunately those kind of reviews are next to useless... It would be nice if some proper ones would come up soon. I want to see measurements and how it handles different headphone ohm loads.

2. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    I gotta say... I've found my endgame headphones. It's Sennheiser HD 650 (6XX). Anything else that I've heard just doesn't have the same balance and natural treble without any sibilance (I just hate splashy sh shshshshs sounds - I just can't stand that artificial annoyance). Mids are clear, rich and detailed while the texture is smooth. When it comes to headphones (and sound in general) there are few things that I really value and so far this offers by far the best compromise and overall package.

It's quite funny... now when I switchback to HD 595 or HD 58X the first impression is that they are muddy and in terms of performance those two are closer to each others. Both have treble peaks, HD 595 less annoying ones but HD 58X has some artificial sibilance which doesn't sound that nice since the mids lack detail and clarity (while being a bit recessed in comparison to HD 6XX). HD 595 has massive mid bass bloat but it does handle voices better than HD 58X. In any case, the differences are really obvious.

If someone is wondering between HD 58X and HD 6XX just get the HD 6XX for extra $50. Personally I wouldn't feel bad even if I'd have to pay the full HD 650 price (goes for 329,90 € here) in comparison to HD 58X ($149 + VAT).

If Sennheiser ever releases a true successor to HD 650, then I'm interested. HD 660 S isn't one. HD 700 was horrible and HD 800 S doesn't do the job either. Maybe someday...

By the way, I really love how modular the HD 6x0 series is. Changing cables, earpads... everything is so simple. It's very clever design and also light. I ended up buying the 3m cable since the 1,5m was a bit too short.

sverek likes this.
  3. DW75

DW75 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX1080 Ti OC
    The HD650 is a very natural sounding headphone. It is extremely smooth, and there is no harshness to the treble response at all. It is one of those headphones that you can turn the volume way up and not experience any fatigue. It can't compete, in terms of soundstage, detail retrieval, and imaging, with my Amiron Home, but that is to be expected with the Amiron costing way more. If you ever get the chance, you should listen to the Amiron. If you like the HD650, you would also like the Amiron. It is quite different from all the other Beyerdynamic headphones made in the last 20 years. It has a slightly warmer sound signature, instead of the well known and somewhat bright signature of other Beyerdynamic headphones. You are right about the HD700 as well. It is very harsh and sibilant at 6kHz. A friend of mine owns this headphone, and I ended up creating an EQ for him to use with it. He was complaining about ear pain, and ended up experiencing ringing in the ears after months with the headphone. After trying that headphone out, I was not a fan. The HD700 has a fantastic sense of space between individual instruments, and a huge soundstage, but that treble spike is literally painful. The upper mids on the HD700 are also too recessed at around 3kHz, which causes that 6-7kHz spike to be even more harsh. You can reduce the spike some with EQ, but you cant completely remove it. I have not heard the HD800 or HD800S.

4. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    @Anarion I still have my original HD580 Precision + Cardas cable, and I understand what you are talking about. The HD58X is not the same as the HD580.

5. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I heard to HD600 once and felt in love with them. The sound was so effortless and natural. They didn't try to amaze me or be weird, HD600 just sounded right.
    HD650/6XX with more warmth is ultimate chilling headphones imo. Not good for gaming, but to relax and listen to music, those are probably unbeatable.

HD660S disappointed me a lot when I auditioned it. It did literally sounded muffled. DT1990 destroyed HD660s in every aspect (my ears, my tastes). I can't believe they are almost the same price.
    The weirdest thing is, I can't believe people hyped HD660s when it was released. Tyll was one of few who was not sure about them and people hated him for that, cause he went against the hype.
    HD660s are failure in my opinion and should of cost $150, as HD58X does.

By the way, people recommend HD58X for gaming more than HD6XX, do you agree with it? Does HD58X sounds more fun for gaming?

6. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    I disagree completely. In my opinion HD 6XX not only sounds wider but the imaging is more accurate (also more depth). In my opinion it works great for gaming for that reason - the soundstage doesn't sound artificially wide and the positioning is great (it also does man). HD 58X makes vocals sound narrow while HD 6XX does not - they fill the space. I've never found the soundstage lacking on HD 6XX even compared to HD 595.

Also about the warmth... HD 6XX is not that warm. Some say that the older HD 650's were warmer but who knows. Pads can make a difference too (not sure if they've made subtle changes to those). Though, warmth is subjective and it depends on what one is used to listen to. HD 595 is a much warmer headphone.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    sverek likes this.
  7. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    I broke my Sencheiser G4me One :(
    Now i need new one (Gaming/Music/Movies ATMOS on SB-Zx) or:

Sennheiser HD 599
    Sennheiser HD 598 SR
    Sennheiser HD 559
    Sennheiser HD 558

or budget -> HYPERX Cloud Alpha or Steelseries Siberia V3 (up to 99€)

Guys what to choose? (I have Great Hearing)
    Mic that i have is from SB-Zx.

@Anarion and others advise me please :D
    As for Multi, i will Play BFV, Apex, R6 Siege & SW BF2

Im going to pick one of this (The price for 598/599 is not as high as Year ago, starting at ~119€)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  8. DW75

DW75 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX1080 Ti OC
    The DT880 250 Ohm is a good choice. It has an 8kHz peak, like the DT770 Pro, but it is not harsh or piercing in its character at all like it is on the DT770. The DT880 is an awesome headphone for the price. It is neutral in its sound signature, and has a great soundstage. The mids on this headphone are not fatiguing or forward. Everything is just where it should be. It is also excellent for gaming. You can easily locate exactly where things are coming from in games. I used to own this headphone a few years ago, and it is impressive for its price point. I know you would be impressed.

9. DW75

DW75 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX1080 Ti OC
    One other thing to note is that the DT880 will scale with better equipment. For instance, if you decided to use your ZX card as just a DAC, and then connect a stand alone headphone amp to the front channel line outputs, you will get a noticeable improvement in sound quality. A good DAC/AMP combo upgrade will also make a great improvement.

10. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Yeah, DT880 or HD599 are great picks for gaming.

HD598/559 are warmer with more relaxed sound. Could be better if you sensitive to treble.

Would highly advise to audition headphones before buying. No matter how hyped or recommended headphones are, if they don't fit your tastes, you will have to spend some time getting used to them.

11. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    Up to 199€ this one is the best IMO.

12. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Depends on user and purpose. DT990 would be much more fun for gaming (for my ears), for example.

OnnA likes this.
  13. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Since I own HD 595 and have access to HD 598... I really can't recommend it when there's something HD 58X and HD 6XX around. In ever liked the HD 598 compared to HD 595. It's warmer and muddier (but still has unnatural treble peak, not sibilant but it just makes some things sound less accurate). Surprisingly the soundstage feels a bit different (somewhat more distant) than on HD 595. Not sure how HD 599's sound but from what I've read it's quite close to HD 598.

I used my mother a guinea pig to A/B test her HD 598's and my HD 6XX not so long time ago. She though that the HD 598 didn't come even close. She said that HD 6XX had just much more clarity and detail. HD 598 is very warm compared to HD 6XX/650.

Treble sensitive people should avoid Beyerdynamic headphones. To me something like DT990 Pro would be absolutely unbearable. It's very warm and lots of treble while mids are very recessed in comparison. It's like the opposite of HD 650 (or HD 58X) which is much more neutral and realistic in comparison (and mid centric). Personally I think that mids are the most important area and the rest should compliment the mids. Personally I don't think that U shaped headphones are great for gaming (and obviously mid centric headphones are better in games where dialogue is important).

By they way, it looks like recent HD 58X's may have received a slight re-tuning: https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-s-se/hd58x-jubilee-massdrop/
    [​IMG]
    I have the early production version.

14. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    Sennheiser HD650 is my end game headphone too. I've had my pair for some 4 years now, replaced the cord twice (left earcup connection cable was iffy both times but easy to buy from Amazon for next to nothing). Also replaced the ear pads recently because well, filth and I thought why not, after 4 years.

They are my ultimate headphone and even though I own a set of Beyers and AudioTechnicas, I never use them. Not that I don't like them, they're actually very good, but I just love the HD650. Comfort, soundstage, signature, all perfect for my liking.

If HD6xx are pretty much the same thing, you can't really do much better for the money.

That order history
    [​IMG]

15. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PC VEGA64 Red Devil
    I have the DT990 Premium and I love it, but I'm something of a treblehead. It's definitely NOT for those who are treble sensitive as it's really a sparkly can.
    Yes, I have the HD6XX as well, along with the HD600, and I can say it's a more neutral sounding can (NOT neutral per se), the HD6XX is a little more warm sounding than the HD600, but both are absolutely great for music. Soundstage is a tad narrow but imaging is pretty good.

OnnA likes this.

16. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    THX for answer :D

I decided to go for one of these:

Sennheiser HD 599
    Sennheiser HD 598 SR

It will be fine for Gaming? What You think, and do i need some Volumne boost software? (G4me One has Volume in ear cup)

17. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PC VEGA64 Red Devil
    I can't say with great certainty, but generally, the HD5xx series (not talking about the MD HD5XX) are pretty easy to drive. For example, the HD598SR has an impedance of 50 Ohm and a sensitivity of 112dB, it should be quite easy to drive, even onboard/mobo audio should be able to get it to loud enough level. But it really depends on how one defines 'loud enough', I listen at moderate level, but I have a friend who listen at near ear-bleeding level, 'loud enough' for me is too soft for him.

18. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    HD599 are better for gaming. Issue with HD600 series and gaming is that narrow soundstage and warm sound that doesn't fit gaming. HD600 series are great for chill music, but not gaming.
    HD599 is more multipurpose headphones and with wider soundstage they just sound "good" for pretty much everything, but not great at the same time.

My ears, my opinion. And HD598 is a bit too warm for gaming imo.

19. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  20. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    HD 599 is much warmer than HD 600. What's your definition of warmth? Because to me, no matter how you looks at it, HD 59x's are all much warmer than HD 58x/6xx cans. Also some say that HD 599 has somewhat narrower soundstage than its predecessors. Can't say for sure certain though. Imaging is way behind HD 6xx cans on HD 59x series.

Also... HD 59x's really do need an amp with low output impedance, preferably something around 1 ohm or they will sound even warmer and the bass becomes even more bloated.

By the way, this is pretty good comparison between AKG K702, Beyerdynamic DT880 and Sennheiser HD58X. Obviously they will not sound like this in real life but relative to each others, it does give a rather good idea.

Also shows exactly why I hated my AKG K712 Pro (AKG's tuning is just... something is not quite right) and absolutely couldn't live with any Beyerdynamic headphone (it's horrible). I wouldn't recommend those even to my worst enemy. :D

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019