1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High End Audiophile Thread Part 2

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by vbetts, Sep 24, 2018.

1. SplashDown

SplashDown Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Man been reading, reading & reading I guess my choice is between the Sennheiser HD 598 Cs and Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm. From reading depending who did the review the Beyerdynamic's have better bass and more comfortable long term wearing than the Sennheisers. The Sennheisers are 23 ohm & 10 – 28,000 Hz frequency response and the Beyerdynamics are 80 ohm & 5 Hz - 35,000 Hz frequency response. Been reading so much on them it's starting to get confusing ..lol. But out of the 2 the Beyer's seem to be the better and have better bass or am I wrong? I just wish the Beyer's had replacable cable like the Sennheisers. I'm disabled now so money is a big deal I have to make the right purchase I can't blow money I have to save for months to get. Thanks again everyone for input.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  2. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 FE
    If you have any stores around you that sells headphone's, if they let you, give both headphone's an listen. Then pick the one that sounds good to you. Also if you wear glasses then you might not find the beyerdynamic comfortable, because I didn't when I had the DT77 pro 80's years ago, which was the main reason why I gave them to my brother.

As for open back headphone's, some leak a lot of sound, while other's doesn't leak that much.I used plenty of open back headphones over the year's and still using one currently.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  3. SplashDown

SplashDown Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Thanks for the info & suggestions, appreciate.....

4. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Any Sennheiser HD 59x is extremely comfortable, even with glasses. They have low clamping force and soft pads. HD 598 Cs probably uses different drivers than the HD 598 so no idea if those perform worse. They have oddly low impedance which can be problematic unless your amp/source has low enough output impedance (in this case 1 ohm should be preferable). Around that price HD 58X would be much better buy though (it's superior). Unless you really want closed back headphone. It's actually extremely hard to recommend any HD 59x series cans when there's HD 58X.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018

5. SplashDown

SplashDown Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Ya that is what I really wanted was the HD 58X & for the price seems unbeatable. How much sound leaks out on them? Is there any information on that or do you know how much leaks out?. Situation would be me listening to music at 5 or 7 out of 10 volume and wife trying to watch TV But ya 58X was my first choice. Thanks bud ....

6. DW75

DW75 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX1080 Ti OC
    Are you sensitive to mid treble spikes ? Be aware that the DT770 has a nasty treble peak at 8-9kHz. This peak on this headphone is harsh and painful for some people, myself included. I used to own this headphone years ago, and ended up selling it. It has bloated and boomy bass, recessed mids, and a harsh mid treble peak. The DT880, which I also used to own, also has a treble peak at 8-9kHz, but it not harsh at all in its character like it is on the DT770. Of course, the DT880 is an open back, so that won't work for you. I know you mentioned that you wanted to get something for 200, but I think you should save up more, and get yourself the Audioquest Nightowl Carbon instead. You can check it out at the link. It costs 400 now, but used to cost 700 just last year. This headphone blows the doors off the DT770. You would be very impressed with it. It has imaging and soundstaging that matches many open back headphones. The treble response is completely non-fatiguing. There is great space between instruments, and everything sounds nicely layered. You would be very surprised by this headphone. It literally sounds like an open back. It offers great isolation from outside noise, and is also one of the most comfortable headphones out there. Be aware that this headphone has a solid burn in time to get to its peak performance level. The sound continues to develop for the first 150 hours or so of use.

https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-N...rds=nightowl+carbon&psc=1&smid=A3PKSUAVGUP5IE

7. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Quite honestly I have never thought that the sound leakage is an issue. That being said I probably listen at lower volume than most. I do have HD 58X too and I don't think they'll leak that much. If there's some distance between you and her, I don't think there's a problem. Though, if she's listening at loud levels you probably want to go into another room since when you wear open headphones there's basically zero isolation.

8. SplashDown

SplashDown Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Thanks bud, thats some info I was looking for, I've got enough to make decision now I appreciate all input. Peace everyone.

9. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX2080 Ti GP
    I'm in the process of getting a pair of sheepskin angled pads for HFM cans (HE560/HE4xx) and I was wondering if anyone has gotten such a pair of earpads before. Should I proceed with the purchase?

10. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 570 SLI
    Are these ZMF pads by any chance ?

11. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX2080 Ti GP
    Nope, not ZMF.....seller assured me it's lambskin.....I have it now, and it does feel like lambskin when I compared it to the MrSpeakers lambskin pads on my modded T50RP. Initial impression on my HE4XX is the treble isn't less bright (if my ears aren't deceiving me, treble seems to be more sparkly), bass seemed to have been boosted a little.....I can't quite decide whether mids had been altered though, seemed about the same as before though I'll have to A/B between the stock and the new pads more to see if I can hear the difference. On the whole, it cost me about 30+ USD and I'm satisfied with what I'm hearing so far.

Edit- Play some UT3, and yes, treble has gone more sparkly, the gatling/machine gun fire has become more 'metallic', more sparkly.....almost to the point where it irritates me. I've always felt the HE4XX has more treble energy than the HE560 and HE-4 (these eapads exacerbate that treble issue), will try these earpads on them instead.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 6:06 PM