High End Audiophile Thread Part 2

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by vbetts, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    The Ananda looks to be a sweet headphone, I considered getting them too. The people I bought my DAC from offered me a really good discount.
    What put me off were user experiences with many HifiMan phones that broke due to poor design and poor customer service/no warranty.
    I didnt feel like testing the water.

Take a look at Meze, their customer service is as good as it gets and their products have top quality build, look and sound.
    When I had a problem with deep bass on my Empyrean they were positive and professional throughout, easy to deal with. They replaced the drivers which was a bit of a bummer because they needed another 200 to 500hrs burn in, but it was worth it.

Their 99 Classics are held in very high regard and the price is surprisingly low for what you get.
    https://mezeaudio.com/collections/all
    This 99 Classic review reveals how they started with terribly expensive re-badged phones and what they made of themselves since.
    Along with a glowing review
    https://www.audiophileon.com/news/meze-99-classics-review-headphone

Its well worth looking at other reviews of them.

edit
    My bad, they arent Planar.
    Meze are really missing a trick not having a middle ground planar.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 4:09 AM
    airbud7 likes this.
  2. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    If you can, give Sonarworks a try

3. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Why? I already have bunch of EQ presets for my needs.

4. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Okay.

5. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm headphones arrived today. (Wasn't expecting them until Tuesday) Grabbed a nice FR chart and did my EQ tweaks, tho the can's tuning by itself isn't that bad. Just a treble hump in the 7-8K range, and typical "lively" U-shaped curve. Probably why people say it's warm and somewhat bright. Anyhoo, thus begins the long process of playing my set of test tracks and tweaking accordingly, while still endeavoring to maintain the can's original signature. After all, why have all your cans sound the same? :D

I found it odd that they come with 1/8" stereo plug installed, with 1/4" threaded on. *shrug* Otherwise, unit was new, and I like the fact that most of the unit can be torn down and replaced. The cabling is fixed, however.

In comparison to the HD580 and MDR-SA5000, I put these in the middle of the two. Soundstage is a natural presentation, tho the Sony's are better with songs with a sweeping orchestral design, like Billy Joel's "The Downeaster Alexa". The DT 990 are detailed and fast response, and have this in common with the Sony's, but when listening to that song on the Sony's I end up swaying back-and-forth to the rhythm. :) [EDIT: Applied +2dB to 20-150Hz range and restored the bass impact, song sounds more upbeat and overall better.]

We'll see what I think of them after a week of using them.

Comfort: not heavy, lighter than the HD580, Sony are lighter. Velour cups, not bad tho warmer than the leather Sony cups. Shouldn't be a problem with long-term listening.

EDIT2: Headphones work quite well plugged into my LG V40 ThinQ phone with Hi-Fi Quad DAC enabled.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019 at 4:06 AM
    RzrTrek likes this.