High DX11 CPU overhead, very low performance.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by PrMinisterGR, May 4, 2015.

1. Krteq

Krteq Master Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 56 +64 BIOS
    No crashes here with BF4 and Mantle with these.

2. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT UV 1950~
    I have 0 added voltage on cpu and 0 added voltage on gpus actually I am running gpus with less voltage. The psu is fine :) my old 1000w stopped working so I had to get a quality new one and was on a tight budget \o/

This psu should be doing full load near 90% efficiency anyways. Good to have leeway so I sold my other gpu forgot to actually update my profile :D

3. chumanga1

chumanga1 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX770
    HT enabled and higher clock will give 390 boost there offscourse, but like the initial motivation of thread was to see how a slower CPU can push better Nvidia than AMD in DX11. 390 is around 50% faster than 770 in GPU bound but in Dx11 CPU heavy scenario was capable to keep at same performance level with slower CPU.
    In my tests 390 was slower in Opengl for windows and Vulkan in Dota 2 too.

4. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7850 OC
    OpenGL is not good with AMD too, and vulkan is merely a wrapper since not even nvidia or AMD have better results with vulkan than with DX on the Dota II

5. Prefix

Prefix Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R7 260X 2GB
    They use like 275w each = 550w + the CPU it shouldn't ever use 850w.

6. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    Plus HDD draw, and any 3rd party cooling you are using. And this is assuming no overclocking on anything. If you overclock, then your power draw on the CPU and GPU cards will be higher than that. Also, it depends in the PSU is single rail vs multirail, and whether the PSU has enough on those rails to feed the cards and system.

Plus a lot of PSU's cannot pump out their rated numbers, as indicated on some manufacturer sites as "90% peak output can be sustained". Which means the unit can only sustain an output of 765W total. Under this kind of stress, the unit's efficiency will drop, produce buttloads of heat, and will shorten it's lifespan. It is far better to spend the extra few $$ to bump it up to the next higher unit, say 1000W, and to also see if any reviews exist showing max output capabilities.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  7. chumanga1

chumanga1 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX770
    When test was done driver options(16.1) has no power effeciency settings. This settings were more focused for people complaining about stuttering, i dont know if the stable clock increased average FPS in that matter.

8. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT UV 1950~
    Mine actually does the 850w output without any issues @ around 90% efficiency also. My total draw on the system was around 700w when all stressed out, the 3770k does not even draw that much power vs 4770k and 6700k actually draws less stock. Overclocked roughly similar.

9. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB
    I did that too on a Corsair TX 850M, with a slight OC on the cards and a pretty serious OC on the CPU (4790K @ 4.7-4.8). It worked just fine until 3.3V regulation started failing on that PSU and I replaced it. Since the graphics cards and CPU aren't fed by the 3.3V rail I don't think they actually had anything to do with it.

Now with my new PSU I can see the power draw live and in games where CF works I get up to ~750W with my OC'd system, so a quality 850W unit should do just fine. Efficiency drops of course, but if you have a Gold (or better) unit it shouldn't drop more than a few %, so pretty negligible in terms of extra heat.

Still, I don't mean to say that what others are saying about getting a slightly oversized PSU isn't a good idea - that's why I replaced it with a 1kW unit. :D

10. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Maha Guru

GPU:
    lol.

11. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    I believe it's the first time I see you ****posting like this. About time :D

12. ObscureangelPT

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7850 OC
    Vulkan implementation on the Dota II :)
    Not the entire Vulkan XD

13. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    Do they actually have a wrapper? What sense would that make? Wouldn't it simply introduce latencies?

14. ObscureangelPT

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7850 OC
    It's simple to see that.
    Croteam, producers of The talos principle, had claimed that they are using an wrapper for the vulkan, and slowly will be replacing it for proper code.

I've been testing, and I still have 10 FPS lower FPS than the DX11.

DOTA II is exactly the same thing, i have less 7-10FPS even compared to the old DX9E.
    Either it's a very bad implementation, or it's a wrapper.

15. Seren

Seren Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix RX570
    I see the same with the addition of graphics corruption. Really doesn't make sense when my CPU should be seeing the biggest of gains on Vulkan.

16. Spartan

Spartan Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    Yep, I had to replace my fx to brute force myself through amd's crappy driver. In games like GTAV, Arkham Knight, XCom 2, etc. (they ran terrible with fx) I've gained significant fps boost, in some cases it's ~double fps. F*ck, I even gained fps in MGSV which is not a cpu bound game at all, however for example, Watchdogs still runs like sh*t. This cpu change did the trick for a while, but I hope amd is going to push DX12 as hard as they can, otherwise I'm gonna trash their gpu as well and get something from nvidia.

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    I am one of few people who can't even watch other people play Dota 2 without Vulkan. I never got into playing it because it was unplayable experience for me till Vulkan update.

All DX9ex, DX11, OpenGL had same problem.
    Game starts at reasonable 60~80fps. But GPU utilization is low and it downclocks.
    Then FPS drops a bit and cycle repeats till game runs like 20fps.

ClockBlocker, Disabled power Efficiency. Different levels of OC and power limits. Nothing helped. It was like game chocked itself by doing nothing at all on GPU and CPU followed.

With Vulkan I have great experience. (If I exclude that there were/are some visual interface bugs.)

And I'll leave this here: "Intel has worst Vulkan Support on windows even while they boasted being 1st."
    They support only 2 iGPU generations. And that poor driver is pretty old on top of that.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  18. aliindrawan

aliindrawan New Member

GPU:
    GTX 960 2GB @1548 / 3900
    With the upcoming RX 480, have the software / driver overhead condition improved for AMD yet?

I am running an i3 on my system and I am looking forward to RX 480 mainly because of Freesync.

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    It did. For your system, if something is going to choke it will be game thread itself, not driver/DirectX command submit thread.

It is still not all that great, but RX-480 will be fine. If anything, big Vega is going to see limitation.

20. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    The last big improvement to the CPU overhead in DX11 was around Windows 10. Since things are moving in the DX12/Vulkan direction, I just don't see them spending time on it. I could be wrong.