High DX11 CPU overhead, very low performance.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by PrMinisterGR, May 4, 2015.

1. MS-DOS

MS-DOS Member

GPU:
    Seems like you're the only person in this thread who actually has common sense :(

2. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Windows 8.1 5.4 drivers:

[​IMG]

Windows 10 TP 10074 0401 drivers:

[​IMG]

3. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Windows 10 drivers could be considered "Alpha" but...

...Are Windows 10 drivers right now (0401 version) FULLY WDDM 2.0, WDDM 1.3 or somewhat a "mix"?¿?

To be or not to be WDDM 2.0/DX12:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  4. Garwinski

Garwinski Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX Fury X
    So once Windows 10 comes out, we should see a significant improvement in DX11 performance (according to these numbers)! Great! It makes sense for them to improve the Windows 10 drivers for dx11 and not the windows 8, as in a few months, a lot of people will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free (which you will want to do anyway because dx12 will not be coming to windows 8).

5. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    What happened to DX12 support with Windows 10? It was working with 9926 and 10041.

Looks like I'm scoring more than last time (was using 1280x720 to get 600,000).

Windows 8.1 (same resolution and driver as you)

6. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    If the the general trend is to improve, some temporal troubles like CCC don't open 50% of the times or the lost VSR and DX12 are resonable.

The better DX11 performance on W10 seems to have effect not only in a syntethic benchmark but also in real gaming sessions.

My feelings that GTA V was getting more consistent frame delivery on Windows 10 weren't only a false impresion at last. :)

This is the right direction AMD, don't loose this path...

7. Vbs

Vbs Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 970, 1506/7806
    Thanks for the benchs! :)

Do you mind also trying this driver in Windows 8.1?

There were some interesting .inf parameters that I kept when modding that driver (like KMD_ForceWDDMv1.3), which could be Win 10 specific or not.

8. macmac9

macmac9 Guest

GPU:
    Asus 280X
    @sammarbella and @theoneofgod, could you test W10+15.4b too to see how it compares to W8.1+15.4b please?
    My hypothesis it that they will bench within margin of error and thus can be said that the improvements come from :NotWindows:
    Then would be interesting to see what the Wddm2 drivers do in 8.1... :Goes to install 8.1:
    Anyway, it's already clear(?) that W10+wddm2 drivers do bring a substantial reduction in draw call cost. Good for Microsoft and AMD, not to forget the gamer, better late than never.

9. admile5

admile5 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X TriX 4GB
    Is WDDM2.0 even possible on W8.1 without redoing too much stuff on OS level?

10. macmac9

macmac9 Guest

GPU:
    Asus 280X
    Talking of things with wrong names, what I meant was: Use the the latest windows 10TP drivers (that do contain wddm2) But they run also in lower wdd-model, Vbs linked those, already modded ones above :)

11. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Wow, those drivers give me such a great benchmark compared to 15.4 beta.

Windows 8.1 Vbs drivers 1920x1080 fullscreen.

Above quote is with 15.4 beta 1920x1080 fullscreen.

12. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I don't think this will be posible cause MS doesn't want DX 12 for other OSes.

One thing is modding or find tricks to unlock some features in AMD drivers and a very different thing "transfer" WDDM 2.0 to a different OS....

13. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    i will do but in a few hours.

I need to eat and sleep at least once per 24 hours. :D

14. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    AMD still has very low DX11MT scores compared to nvidia. Also check this to see how your results compared to Nvidia

[​IMG]

vs

[​IMG]

15. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Damn.. Hurry up DX12!

16. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Awesome work, thanks for testing! That's a very nice increase, and on par with the Anandtech numbers on the test. The single and multithreaded scores are higher than Win8.1, but there is no practical difference between them, meaning that there is nothing done with multitrehading.
    Also, the NVIDIA cards get almost double the scores still (especially in the multithreaded test).

Has anyone tested GTA V with these drivers?
    (paging sammarbella :D )

If you or him actually read the first post, like once, it would be so nice. :)

They do compare with similar cards in performance (The R7 260x vs the GTX 750 Ti) and the results are still stuttering and lower framerates with the AMD card.

Furthermore, everybody knows that with a lower CPU you won't get as much from your high end card. The problem is that you end up in situations were the R9 280 is slower in absolute framerates/frame times than the GTX 750 Ti, when paired with a slow CPU.

That is not normal, no matter what you say.

I don't expect the 100% from the R9 280, I expect it to at least perform as well as the 750 Ti all things being equal.

Is that weird?

Nope. WDDM2.0 requires a newer version of the Windows kernel.

17. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    Sometimes even with my 4790k i'm not getting the full potential of my card/cards

18. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    That's the point that most people forget. If the GPU driver is bad with CPU utilization, it will come back and bite you when the CPU is actually needed, even if you have a high end CPU.

That's the reason that NVIDIA cards behave so much better in games like StarCraft 2, or Assassin's Creed Unity (pre 14.12) for example.

19. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    Exactly but I get this feeling according to what i can find that AMDmight be pulling ahead when DX12 comes out and games start using it.

I really want to sell my cards and get Nvidia but something is telling me to wait till dx12 comes out. I get stutter in some games but it's not totally unbearable so I can still wait a bit. The longer i hold on the better my chances of getting a stronger card etc etc.

20. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    To be frank with you, it depends on the resolution you play. June is just a month away now, and both companies will announce something in the summer for sure. If you play at 1080p60, I honestly believe you'll be fine with your CFX system until then.

You have to take into account that both next generation APIs were designed around GCN, and at the moment AMD looks like it is having better DX12 drivers.