High DX11 CPU overhead, very low performance.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by PrMinisterGR, May 4, 2015.

1. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    Its universally obvious that you don't pair an r9 290-x with a Phenom 965 because it will be bottlenecked. But, do you find it reasonable that that r9 290-x will perform worse than a similar or low-end nvidia card?

When I posted those links I was actually supporting you in that specs =/= real-world performance.

2. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    DX12 can't come quick enough.

3. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Why would you do that? And more importantly, would you expect the 770 to be slower than the 750?

4. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    yasamoka - you're the one that seems confused about the topic not the OP.

Forget about FPS! Let's assume the R9 280 gets 200FPS on a Core i7 and the GTX 750 gets 100 FPS. When switching to a Core i3 or lower the the nvidia card will still get 100 FPS but the R9 280 will go down to 100 FPS too (losing 50% of its performance). That's the point of this article, is that AMD cards (even the high end ones) drop more performance (percentage wise) compared to their nvidia counterparts when pared with lower-end CPU's.

5. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I've heard reports that the overhead is less under Windows 10, have you done any tests there? I really can't be bothered going back to it, it's a buggy mess right now for me.
    It either means DX11 there has been more optimized or the Windows 10 drivers from AMD have been optimized but AMD and optimized don't fit in the same sentence for me, it was hard typing that...

6. Jamek004

Jamek004 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 960 STRIX
    very intersting thread, it explaines many things to me when i had the R9 270x

thank you PrMinisterGR :)

7. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    I've heard the same thing. In fact modded Windows 10 drivers for Windows 8.1 feel smoother already in some cases. But I'm not updating to Windows 10 until RTM, I use the computer for far too many things for it to be using an unstable OS going through updates every month. But yeah I can't wait until RTM release.

8. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I installed it the other day for a crossfire test but forgot to run the overhead test and crossfire didn't work either so it was a waste of time.
    From that experience it's far away from RTM.

9. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Hell you upgraded a GPU and you feel the difference. I went from a 3570K CPU to a 4790K (supposedly it shouldn't impact my videocard a lot, considering the 3570K at 4.2Ghz was fast enough) but it did, and there was FPS gains in every game.

PS: I didn't upgrade the CPU for gaming purposes, but just noticed the difference was there regardless, even though I wasn't expecting a better gaming experience.

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Apparently because it will run the same as 750ti since its bottleneck by slower system..

While this is true it still has higher overall fps, min fps will be around the same if its cpu bottleneck, but avg and max will be higher for sure.

Anyway if AMD rewrites multi threaded driver part then it will be the same there and you won't need that strong cpu anymore. But then again most of you have newer i7 cpus so it shouldn't be a big deal.
    They will fix it eventually, to me it looked like nvidia saw a threat when AMD optimized its driver for Hawaii 290X & Mantle release, then they made this magic 377.xx driver to "trick" API and make more drawcalls at the same time.
    http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-geforce-337-50-beta-performance-driver

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

one extreme example - WatchDogs driver overhead @ 4770K with 780TI vs 290X

[​IMG]
    http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Watch...s/Watch-Dogs-Test-GPU-CPU-Benchmarks-1122327/

I think we will see really fast dx12 adoption, much faster then dx11

11. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The issue with optimization is not only for lower end CPUs, but for higher end ones that might actually need to do work for the game but are instead hobbled by the graphics driver.

12. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I guess the positive side for AMD users is that we will see much more benefit from DX12 than NVIDIA users :)

13. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    :)

:eek:c:

14. Gapster

Gapster Guest

GPU:
    2xSapphire R9 290x Tri-x
    Finally, this thread returned, i'll take popcorn, thx PrMinisterGR. Maybe this time we will win...

15. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    I think he meant the r9 280, because then he certainly should.

16. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The R9 280 is the 7950. It should be tons faster than the GTX 750 Ti.

17. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    Not in severely bottlenecked system. :bigsmile:

18. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    CPU overhead test DX11 MT (draw calls / second):

Windows 8.1 15.4 650,010
    Windows 10 (latest drivers 10074) 1,030,210