Hifiman HE-500

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Rebel975, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Vandrende Pind

Vandrende Pind Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
    How high do you usually have the Lyr turned up with the HE-500?

2. Rebel975

Rebel975 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    About 9:30 am, but I can go up to almost midnight. Beyond that it gets into the brain liquification zone.

3. Vandrende Pind

Vandrende Pind Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
    Ok, I usually have it around 8:30 - 10.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  4. momomo67890

momomo67890 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    285gtx/4750
    thats too bad he-5 had a very light wire. i personally use 30awg wire which weights less then the plugs to connect it to the headphone.

5. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    For you guys using the external amps from an analog source, remember to keep the source signal as high as possible as this keeps the SNR high as possible.

If you keep the source at a low volume, then you send a lower signal and higher noise to your external amp which in turn has to amplify it more then it should and will also add more noise.

If you keep the source at a high volume, you get a very high signal with low noise and the external amplifier doesn't need to amplify the signal so much and so adds less noise itself.
    I am talking about line level sources.
    Does this make sense?

6. Rebel975

Rebel975 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    It makes sense, yes. Actually, Jason from Schiit told me to do the same thing. From then on I've kept the Xonar's volume at 100%. I also find myself pumping up the Astro Mixamp to max volume too (because when you mix in voice volume the mixamp gets seriously quiet).

7. RexAeterna1987

RexAeterna1987 Member

GPU:
    XFX 5870@stock
    what the....why? 30awg is insanely thin and must have crazy resistance to it. when for headphone use(depending on length) 24 awg minimum. your probably limiting the amount of current that can be passed through. i'm not a cable believer or anything but i do know electrical benefits of using a thicker gauge(depends on the length used tho of course)

8. RexAeterna1987

RexAeterna1987 Member

GPU:
    XFX 5870@stock
    this guy knows what he's talking about. if anyone knows basic electrical knowledge knows most these so called ''high-end'' cables are junk. you can DIY a better one much cheaper at your local radioshack with some 16/18awg copper speaker wire and whatever form of jack you want(RCA,TRS,D-Sub,ect.)

9. Rebel975

Rebel975 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    Let's not turn this into a cable believers vs non believers thread. There are an infinite number of posts you can read on Head-Fi on this subject.

Just realize that I'm ONLY buying a replacement cable for the weight and size reduction vs the one that comes stock with these headphones, and it's only $70 (including shipping).

It has a 1/4" speaker cable stock. That's way too big and heavy for me.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  10. RexAeterna1987

RexAeterna1987 Member

GPU:
    XFX 5870@stock
    i'm not. just finding why. anyways it's your decision. i don't see how the cable would be too heavy in the first place. shouldn't a problem since i assume it's always home use.

also why would i go to head-fi for that? i do have common sense you know. i only visit there for music forums and to get information on some older gear i have.

11. Rebel975

Rebel975 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    The stock cable is too heavy because it's a 1/4" speaker cable. Normal headphones cables measure at most half of that, if not less.

12. momomo67890

momomo67890 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    285gtx/4750
    it reads 1.6 ohm per strand @ 5.5ft loool but i use 4 strands per channel which is .00 something ohms. headphones really dont require much of anything to work. its also silver which helps a little

heres a pic on some lcd-2

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/7123/img8524d.jpg

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  13. Rebel975

Rebel975 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    That looks nice.

14. Vandrende Pind

Vandrende Pind Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
    It sure makes sense, but I actually prefer to have my source at 81 out of 99, as that setting disables digital volume control. It seems to give the better SQ, even though the SNR level is lower on paper.

15. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    It is more of a guide line to consider when setting up your gear. Some like to back off a bit.

That being said, this idea though is a major one for audio systems and sometimes I read about people not getting good sound out of their cards and you find out they have their cards on 5 and there amps on 10! well you are getting so low of a signal that you are missing so much and getting so much noise that you have poor sound quality.
    Consider many CD players they have no volume control they are 100% signal output. This will not damage anything because it is all built to the line level standard. Now, if you took say the headphone output of a STX and connected that to the line in of a receiver, you would damage the inputs with little volume.

16. Vandrende Pind

Vandrende Pind Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
    Interesting. So when you connect audio equipment in the analogue stage, it must be within the line standard. I see my DAC's output is 2vrms (unbalanced), I assume that's at max volume. Do you know if 2vrms is the max output in the line standard?

17. Rebel975

Rebel975 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    Why would connecting the STX to the inputs of a receiver at low volume damage it?

Edit: I think I understand what you meant. The headphone out on the STX is amplified, and the line in on a receiver isn't designed to handle that.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  18. Rebel975

Rebel975 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    Replacement cable for the HE-500. This is the HE-6 OCC High Purity Copper Cable. It comes stock with the HE-6, which is the $1,200 big brother of the HE-500 that I own.

It's probably 1/4 of the weight and much more flexible. It ends in a 1/4" TRS instead of a 1/8" TRS like the stock HE-500 cable does.

Honestly, the HE-500 cable is a little Do-it-yourself'y. It's got some pretty shoddy build quality. Because it ends in a 1/8" TRS, it comes with a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter. Well, that adapter NEVER sat flush. This meant that sometimes sound would only come out of one channel on the headphones. I found out that it's because they hot glue the TRS connector on the end of a speaker cable. It wasn't glued down far enough.

BESIDES, using a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter is just awkward when the amp sits off the ground. All of the weight of the stock HE-500 cable weighing it down was causing some problems. Having a real 1/4" connector just makes more sense... especially since the amp natively outputs to a 1/4" TRS.

[​IMG]

About 3 feet from the 1/4" TRS connector is a 4 pin XLR male. It then connects to a female 4 pin XLR and has about another 4 feet of cable. Pretty nifty if I ever decide to go for a balanced amp in the future. Which seems like a pretty good possibility since Jason from Schiit Audio is currently asking people what they want in a balanced amp on Head-Fi.org. They better release a balanced DAC too. :nerd:

[​IMG]

Pics of the new earpads to come in a few weeks if they ever release them.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  19. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    Congratulations, I've heard the combo you're using and it really does sound amazing!

20. Rebel975

Rebel975 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    Thanks, buddy. What do you currently use?