Hey Loophole35 and JaxMacFL stay safe/ Dorian is near Category 5!

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by airbud7, Aug 31, 2019.

1. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Stay safe! Would be a shame to loose anyone of you! :eek:

Best wishes!:)

airbud7 likes this.
  2. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    You can't stop the end of an ice age!....Did you go to an Al Gore seminar?

I tell you what next time it starts to rain go outside and tell it to stop then I'll believe all that BS!

and while you're at it go stop that volcano from burping more sh*t into the atmosphere in one day than man has ever done.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  3. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    OK if it's as reversible as you claim, how do you reverse it? Just stop dumping billions of tonnes of CO2 into the atmosphere is the obvious answer, but the real question is, do we have any curent technology that can completely replace fossil fuels? The answer is no. The other major question, is ALL humanity (including the big polluters like the Chinese and the Indians) willing to sacrifice their lifestyle quality and economic success by severely limiting CO2 output? Again, the answer is seemingly no.

Unless you've been living in a cave, it's not hard to see the hypocrisy of many in the climate change movement. When you see celebrities attend climate conventions by flying to them on private aircraft or sailing on massive yachts, or former U.S President Barrack Obama buying a huge mansion in Martha's Vineyards, or that insufferable twit Bernie Sanders owning multiple houses while telling everyone else to limit their carbon footprints.

It's a classic case of do what I say, not as I do.

I don't think anyone in this thread has said climate change doesn't exist. What people have been questioning is to what extent it's being caused by human activities. As stated before, the Earth has gone through multiple cycles of cooling and warming long before humans existed.

airbud7 likes this.
  4. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

I'm sorry, but you're just wrong on the facts and resorting to political agit prop by attacking a politician is exactly the reason I avoid discussing facts with the right side of the aisle. They don't believe in them. Your entire post is basically opinion and political agit prop. It is not science and fact. You did not even bother to address the fact that scientist OF COURSE know what NATURAL CLIMATE CHANGE IS AND YOU AGAIN CLAIMING WITH YOUR ARGUMENT THEY ARE TOO STUPID TO DISTINGUISH BETWEEN THE TWO, IS TELLING. Telling us you won't address the obvious point: you're calling every researcher a moron for not knowing the climate changes naturally. Of course, a dumb argument. STOP MAKING IT.
    I am not addressing clean air and water FFS, if you can't even stay on the topic of CLIMATE, why did you reply? I might seem harsh, but you're dumbing down anyone reading this thread.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    Loobyluggs likes this.

5. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

Another person who does not know basic facts. Man dumps more CO2 into the Atmosphere than the entire output of every volcano on the planet. Scientists actually measure this, while you pull it out of your arse. There are facts, all you have to do is read them: The 1980 eruption of Mount St. Helens vented approximately 10 million tons of CO2 into the atmosphere in only 9 hours.
    However, it currently takes humanity only 2.5 hours to put out the same amount. While large explosive eruptions like this are rare and only occur globally every 10 years or so, humanity’s emissions are ceaseless and increasing every year.

Human activities emit 60 or more times the amount of carbon dioxide released by volcanoes each year. Large, violent eruptions may match the rate of human emissions for the few hours that they last, but they are too rare and fleeting to rival humanity’s annual emissions. In fact, several individual U.S. states emit more carbon dioxide in a year than all the volcanoes on the planet combined do.

https://www.climate.gov/news-featur...-carbon-dioxide-volcanoes-or-human-activities

Loobyluggs likes this.
  6. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Nuclear power, solar, wind, tidal, geo-thermal (Iceland is 100% geo-thermal, so no gas/oil/coal/nuclear etc, and thanks to low tempretures, house a lot of data centres, because it's sort-of free to run data centres in Iceland) I mean, the list of options is well-known.

I have to say that China is a bad comparison, as they have a new billionaire there who (you guessed it) made his billions from Solar-power, quite recently in fact - I think whilst we were all talking about whether a GPU will run Crysis, he was creating a brand new company from scratch that is now worth billions.

I do not know where you are getting your infomation from, really - but it is incorrect.

The only thing good about coal is it's really good for making steel - but then, so is reforging steel from old cars, washing machines etc, also, is really good business and worth plenty of $/£/€, if you are interested in such things. You do not need as much energy, and you do not need coal to reforge, last time I checked, but I know there are concerns regarding inpurities and strength.

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Good luck guys, this looks shocking!

Strange thing...
    I had to search for this thread by finding the word Dorian because it didnt appear under new posts.
    The last post here, in my time zone, was made by Loobyluggs, Sep 2 at 7:40pm.
    (Loobyluggs, Sep 2, 2019 at 7:40 PM - taken directly from this page)

My search results for that period show these threads with latest post times:

Hilbert Hagedoorn
    AMD Epyc chips beat Intel Xeon in Geekbench for price 25% of the price
    Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 2, 2019 at 7:45 AM, Frontpage news
    Replies: 21, Views: 345
    Clanger Sep 2, 2019 at 7:52 PM

Solfaur
    WoW Classic official announcement!
    Solfaur, Nov 4, 2017, Games, Gaming & Game-demos ... 5 6 7
    Replies: 137, Views: 3,523
    Amaze Sep 2, 2019 at 6:53 PM

This thread should be in between.
    Something is broken.

Edit
    And indeed, my post hasnt registered either.
    @Hilbert
    Can you take a look why this is happening please?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    airbud7 likes this.
  8. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Hey Mufflore I see your post now.....is your "windows os" clock right?

9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Yep, only a few seconds out.
    Under new posts I still dont see this thread.

Your post was made at 2:17am.
    Not this thread though that should be in between, it is simply not there.
    Bizarre.

ps I'm off to bed now, I'll check this again in the morning.

airbud7 likes this.
  10. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I see it here on my end Bro!
    https://i.**********/667mPn0h/gg3.png
    But yea, I don't see the other ones from a few minutes ago?

Mufflore likes this.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    seeshs say one word of global warming, things are off to the races, I am kinda sad how many people here think it not made 3x worse humanity with all the Co2 being dumped, pretty much every nation is on board with paris agreement except USA thanks to trump and USA as he want to withdraw and the USA is one the worst polluters. it is real there is lot proof out there for this people and countries not need to open there eyes and minds to it before it to late. it reversible but at some point it wont be which most scientist will tell you.

All this aside, I do hope people that in this path are safe and when head back to NC the house is ok. Almost everything I own in in the house in NC that like 8 miles from coast in Wilmington

12. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    All you're interested in is personal attacks, and you didn't refute any of my points. Do yourself a favor and don't respond to any of my posts in this thread anymore.

airbud7 likes this.
  13. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    So I guess we're going to be driving cars and flying on aircraft powered by Nuclear, solar, wind or tidal energy? Also, none of those energy sources with the exceptions of nuclear (which has some serious safety concerns) and geothermal (which is dependent on location) can offer consistent energy output.

The Sun doesn't always shine, the wind doesn't always blow and many nations are land locked with no access to the Sea. And even in areas where renewable sources make sense, our battery technology isn't sufficient to store large amounts of power that's generated by these sources which makes using them as a primary nonsensical. And to top it off, the energy produced by these sources is much more expensive compared to fossil fuel energy.

Basically, you just made a hand wavy, feel good response without thinking about a whole host of ramifications.

I applaud China for investing heavily in solar energy, but just like everyone else in the World, they'll find that Solar has some serious limitations attached to it, and cannot begin to even partially address their reliance on fossil fuels, much less offer complete mitigation.

Look, I don't know how old you are or what you do for a living, but it's clear you haven't put much thought into renewable energies and their limitations compared to fossil fuels.

I'm 100% all for clean air and clean water, and developing renewable sources of energy. But unlike you I am not naive. I know that current renewable sources will NEVER mitigate or solve our reliance on fossil fuels.

That's why I asked you whether you were willing to sacrifice the enormous impact to your quality of life and your financial well being that getting rid of fossil fuels would bring, because that along with a massive population decrease would be the best ways to limit our CO2 pollution.

airbud7 likes this.
  14. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Line by line....

Nuclear power is a closed-circuit. The only problem is the people running it, see: Chernobyl. Solar, Wind, Tidal are stored if unneeded, and you appear to perceive energy as a wall-socket, where in you have to have it plugged in at all times for it to provide energy. Not true, and again, a massive fallacy made by ignorant individuals.

You do realise that you could put a solar farm in the middle of the Sahara Desert that could power the planet, right? I also do not get where you think this cost is coming from to make it more expensive. You need to research your numbers again.

I understand all ramifications of statements.

Yes you can.

I have and I do understand the science behind it - did you take a look at carbon, carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, heat exchange, ratios? As mentioned, this alone proves the point that we could quite literally turn this planet into Venus.

You do not have to "solve" it (because it has already been solved, just not implemented), you simply have to pump out LESS carbon than can be absorbed naturally. It really is that simple. Not the end of convenience, nor the ending of everything that you stated, just a big big big big big big reduction, so that Mother Nature can do her job and ABSORB the carbon humans pump out.

The last comment you made regarding reducing the global population is a little bit too subjective for me to comment on, but I completely and utterly disagree with your perspective. The planet earth can have a population of roughly 50,000,000,000 before it becomes a problem, so we are quite far away from that number :)

15. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Thanks for checking, it looks like there is larger problem.
    I cant see this thread in New Posts still.
    A bit damning as this will reduce exposure to many threads.

It doesnt appear to affect my Watched Threads, but I dont suppose I will know if it does unless I track down every thread I have posted in!
    And will that show all the threads?

I have pinged Hilbert.

airbud7 likes this.

16. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I am literally going to say this once.

Stop with the politics

Literally this is a topic to wish a few members be safe. You should all know the rules by now, keeps politics out of here. Anymore talk of politics will result in points and possibly some time off.

For anyone in the path of the hurricane though, be safe!

17. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Hilbert pointed out posts you have already looked at wont appear under "New Posts".
    There is only one issue left which is mine. ie why I couldnt find this thread under "New posts" before ever viewing it.

airbud7 likes this.
  18. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    do you see this reply under new post or just the notification/alert?

Edit: I see it still under new and I've already read what I wrote....:p

Mufflore likes this.
  19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    haha, I viewed it before realising what you asked.
    Its a good test, next time there is a post from here under "Unwatched Posts", I will check "New Posts" first to see if it appears there.

airbud7 likes this.
  20. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I like a good political debate but man, every procreating topic seems to be getting derailed these days lol. It's too much. And that means a lot coming from a politics junkie like myself! I wish everyone safety during this storm. Keep us updated, Guru's.

Maybe we should have one political thread, stickied, where everyone can vent and yell at each other. Might help keep it off the rest of the board. Just a suggestion. Make it a no man's land, rules not apply, all punches go, keep it to that ONE thread.