Hey Fellers, what y'all charge for a full/new operating system install?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Airbud, Jul 27, 2022.

1. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090-48GB-900W
    what do you all charge for a full/new operating system install?...(drivers included)

PS: customer was approximately 5 miles/8km away and took me about 1.5 hours.

He was very happy when I left.

Thanks

2. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
  3. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    If you know the people, I'd say free. Or a bottle of whiskey or something. Maybe $10-20 otherwise?

Airbud likes this.
  4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    A huge BBQ and a 12pack for Airbud :D

Undying and Airbud like this.

5. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090-48GB-900W
    Believe it or not that's what I got!....12pack and a Big BBQ sandwich!....frankenstein, you are mind reader...:D

386SX, Undying, Freeman and 1 other person like this.
  6. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Let's be honest, since Superman's peck on the cheek, I might have inherited some of his powers :D

big ROBOT bill and Airbud like this.
  7. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090-48GB-900W
    True...:D

Oh wait, did you kiss butt cheek or face cheek?

8. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Face of course, I'm a Lady :oops:

9. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090-48GB-900W
    you mean to tell me that you have never kissed a Lady's Buttcheek?

[​IMG]

:p

tunejunky likes this.
  10. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Depends if it's made of pastry or not.

Airbud likes this.

11. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Well if we're talking "unprofessional" it really depends on whom it's for. Parents is free as in return they'll help me with other stuff, no questions asked. For other people it depends on how close the relationship is, the hospitality (with some people you can just chill and have a fun evening whilst reinstalling the PC in the background) and how much of a pain in the butt the actual task is.

It can go anywhere from 0 to € 150 euros here imo. Though the higher price is usually when it's the type of person that requires me to do a boatload of other stuff like reinstall all his/her software and he/she obviously forgot all the passwords to login their accounts to get the license to activate... or the PC is just an alround slow POS that takes ages to do any task :p

Or in some cases they allow me to take a laptop with me and hand it back later, then I usually don't charge much either as I can just set it up next to me while I'm gaming.

If you're doing it on a professional basis I'd advise setting standard rates for things though, keep them sensible but also don't go to low. I'd probably go with something around the € 40-50 mark for a barebones easy peasy Windows (re)install and a backup of their data excluding reinstalling a whole software suite.

For a lot of people that aren't tech savy, installing software is often easier than reinstalling an OS whereas for you it's probably harder to setup all their software again the way they liked it. Don't sell yourself short, even if a reinstall is easy, at the end of the day they asked you to do it because they lack the skillset, knowledge or time.

Also keep in mind travel expenses, 8km isn't that far, but what if the client lives 30km away?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
    tunejunky and Airbud like this.
  12. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    That's a very suggestive pose, and no, not such a lady's cheeks that I have kissed in my time :D

tunejunky and Airbud like this.
  13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    how much you got

Freeman likes this.
  14. Freeman

Freeman Master Guru

GPU:
    UHD 750
    Reinstalling takes a lot of time and effort. Reason is - its always trash hardware. Thats why it takes 2 hours. Because its low end random components.
    And maybe for most guys here its easy, but try finding drivers on some odd PC or old components. Its not fun at all.
    Its got to a point where I just refuse to do it, because its always some low end PC.

And 12 beers, meat and friendship would do a lot better than 50$ or 75$ against 2 hours and travel time.

Airbud and 386SX like this.
  15. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Not necessarily true, once you start doing this professionally as a job (this was one of my entry level jobs years ago), you'll quickly realize there's a wide array of customers and hardware. There's the cheapskates who buy trash indeed, but there's also the self employed people who value their time and tend to buy more high end systems.

Sure they're not always a gaming machine, but I've seen plenty of people with high end office laptops simply because they know if they buy a piece of slow crap, they're going to be wasting their own time as well.

Also once you establish a relationship with some customers, you can often persuade them to upgrade parts or even and entire PC. Especially when you realize that they're just as annoyed with how slow their PC is as you are, you can open up a dialog with them to propose upgrades, etc that fit within their budget.

+ if you do this as a business, you can also somewhat focus on specific pre-built brands and types, which will help make tasks such as drivers more predictable, or even automated where possible.

Airbud, 386SX and fantaskarsef like this.

16. 386SX

386SX Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
  17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 3060TI
    What?!!

18. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    j/k, neither have I been born nor do I identify as a Lady. I was just paraphrasing the situation where a man asks a lady about something and she wildly denies, stating "I would never do that! I am a Lady!"

No need to see your world get a tilt ;)

Airbud, tunejunky and mbk1969 like this.
  19. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I concur on what @Corrupt^ said.
    If you do this job professionally, ask the amount of money that covers all expenses and taxes one has to pay on those earned money.
    And if the job is done on weekend, well, I have news for you.
    For family and very close friends, I don't charge, and I'll get something nice in return.

For others, it depends. But I'll learned the hard way to ask my price first, state one more time the procedure, what exactly will be done in the computer and what will not.
    And name the price loud and clear, looking the client in the eyes.
    Then and only then I'll start doing my stuff. If my gut instinct or hunch, or some detail will hint me in some way, I will simply apologise and leave. There are others IT people and other clients

Airbud, tunejunky and Corrupt^ like this.
  20. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6900XT, 2070

tears rolled down my cheeks from laughing.
    the only time i ever charge someone is if they screwed it up (while knowing better).
    usually i build for favors from beer and pizza to sports or music tickets and for free for my family

386SX likes this.