here's a somewhat helpful video for DIY g-sync on the asus vg248qe

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by wheeljack12, Jan 15, 2014.

1. wheeljack12

wheeljack12 Guest

here's a somewhat helpful video I found on hardware heaven about a literal DIY video on how mod the vg248qe monitor from asus. A visual instruction guide. Two problems with a online video of this nature. One, you better have a secondary monitor to watch this. Two, has anyone seen the g-sync diy kits available for consumer purchase? The links nvidia gives for g-sync on the north american gforce.com site link to modders themselves doing the service for you or selling a modded monitor rather than selling the kit alone to comsumers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMKpJr0KTC8

edit: I double checked Ebay Canada and the listing I am see are pci-e g-sync cards for quadro video cards.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2014
  2. ceesay

ceesay Master Guru

GPU:
    2-X Titan X (Pascal) -SLI
    yep seen the vid all ready but thx....

3. chasus

chasus Member Guru

GPU:
    -
  4. wheeljack12

wheeljack12 Guest

Awesome, Thanks Chasus!

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Omg, this is so sad! It's not upgrade kit. It's entirely new monitor.

Dozens of monitor manufacturers use same screens and differ with electronics boards only. And this full pcb replacement is nothing else than making new monitor.
    I expected something less intrusive, not removing all other connectivity than DP.

On other side of this coin, we have monitors with extended connectivity and native MHL as bonus.

6. wheeljack12

wheeljack12 Guest

and if you read nvidia's small print, It basically says "you have no manufacturer's warranty after doing this". I am going to back to other links where to buy g-sync monitors and see if the companies modding the vg248qe are putting a warranty on their product. I'll let you know what results I get by calling.

edit: nor do you have a nvidia warranrty either for the entire monitor. I see smoke and mirrors PT Barnum like marketing here.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2014
  7. wheeljack12

wheeljack12 Guest

I checked one of the links on geforce.com for the vg248qe monitor. Overlord computers does ship internationally to a lot of countries and accept most major credit cards and paypal. As for digital storm, I couldn't find anything. So, I left a email request with digital storm to answer if they ship internationally. I also asked both companies if they will do a 3rd party warranty for their mod on the monitor since they are voiding asus manufacturer's warranty. I'll let you know when I hear back. BTW, tried both companies (both US based) 1-888 -phone numbers and couldn't get connected to either company. Digital Storm's number tells me that the phone no is no longer in service. Overlord's number puts me into a quiet state than a fast busy signal.

edit: digital storm's price for the modded monitor $499
    overlord price for the modded monitor $489.99

digital storm doesn't have stock at this time, Overlord computer does.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2014
  8. wheeljack12

wheeljack12 Guest

why I am letting you all know is this that if you buy the monitor and kit seperately, it's costs more than the two places selling the modded monitor.

Mod kit(US price) $199.99
    Average CDN price for the monitor $280

Total for diy before shipping and taxes:$480 without any warranty.

9. wheeljack12

wheeljack12 Guest

I checked Overlord Computer for Canadian shipping rates. They vary from $54 US to over $200 US depending on transit times you pay for. Then at least for Canada you have add the import tariffs. In the long run, I would just wait for the retail g-sync monitors to be available internationally in q2 2014. Better price and no import fees.

10. wheeljack12

wheeljack12 Guest

Sorry about the post count farming. Overlord computers warranties the mod kit and not the panel. So, most likely it's the same with Nvidia where they warranty the kit but not the screen. So, if you get too many dead pixels, your stuck with a monitor that can't be rma'ed to asus,period.

11. wheeljack12

wheeljack12 Guest

all I can say that the price premium for monitor/gpu sync (g-sync) is ridicuous. When g-sync came out I expected maybe $100, not $200 added to the cost of a modded g-sync monitor.

12. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Sounds more like G-stink ;)

13. wheeljack12

wheeljack12 Guest

well, your right somewhat 91, I asked about the premodded monitor. I was told that yes, overlord computers is breaking asus' warranty. They did say however that they give the parts of the original pcb's used in the orginal monitor. Hence, you can reverse mod back to the original monitor for RMA service as if the monitor had not been modded. Meaning that Nvidia although more than likely won't, they should provide a video on how to put back the old parts to give peace of mind to the modding consumer for the diy kit that Nvidia sells to consumers themselves. Or in overlords case, the same thing in providing instructions on reverse modding for the monitor they sell.