Here it is: Radeon RX Vega reference card shows up on photo

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Lol, blind test. Next they'll do a blind test for cpus XD

2. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Maaan it's been ages since I've last been rickrolled! :grin:

3. EdInk

EdInk Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 (H20)
    Rick will be like WTF!

This track still pulling views

4. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I think people have forgotten how unexpected Pascal performance actually was. Even Nvidia themselves said that it had exceeded expectations and it was one of the largest leaps in performance in living memory.

I personally don't remember such an increase. RX Vega just didn't reach expectations and landed in-between 1080 - 1080Ti. Still not a bad card for the money but that's the whole point isn't it. The leader can ask what ever they want and get away with it.

Hopefully it'll bring 1080 prices down at least.

5. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Did you see the rumored price for Sweden market?

+120 euros more than a 1080Ti....and 400 euros more than a 1080.

:3eyes:

I guess final MSRP price will be lower but AMD CEO believes in mining to increase (or sustain?) AMD GPUs sales:

https://venturebeat.com/2017/07/25/...-and-gaming-will-boost-q3-graphics-shipments/

6. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I didn't take mining into consideration for RX Vega top end cards because in my mind i believe they won't be great economically and being the size of that thing i bet power consumption is pretty high. It looks like 600w of cooling on that thing.

7. Saw this, I bet it is a dual gpu just so they can say "this is the fastest gpu(s) in the world!".....(some of the time when crossfire actually scales and doesn't have flickering textures or negative scaling)

8. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
  9. hapkiman

hapkiman Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X
    Yeah...I'm skeptical as to why they keep doing these blind gaming tests. Seems odd.

10. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
  12. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    In this case the (subjective) result could be: "My 100 Hz sync is better than your 100 Hz sync!"

What about GPUs performance?: "Was this a GPU performance review?"

LOL

13. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
  14. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    i find irritating people thinking that making a card that will crash the competition is as simple as writing ! "omg 1 year later they should crash 1080ti .... " if it was that simple to do that intel would have been into the gpu market long time ago even mid range ... Iris anyone ? and so many companies disappear in the way S3 ,matrox ,xgi ,3dfx ,powervr (or left the pc market) they did not disappear because they did not though of how fast their cards shoulds be they disappear because the competition was so fierce they could not keep up because is HARD !

edit: i do not say that vega is good card or you should buy one that will be on everyones judgement after the official reviews

15. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Congratulations both Systems were able to produce 100fps @ 100Hz.

This feels like AMD is sticking two fingers up to Nvidia fanboys just because the monitor costs more.

It's a PR move to try shake a few Nvidia users out of that fan-boy-ism and join team red.

Damn if i'd only known that Free Sync would of cost me 300$ less i would of jumped ship. ^^

16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I agree - let's not forget how expensive it is to design these things. GPUs are arguably more advanced than CPUs yet you'll often find GPU architectures get replaced more often than CPU. Nvidia makes more money than AMD, so they can afford more major changes more often.

You're right about the competition being fierce, though the situation isn't quite as rough as you might think:
    Matrox (to my knowledge) is still around but pretty much just found in servers. I don't think competition was the problem, they just didn't play things smart.
    VIA (S3/Chrome) is also still around but almost completely vanished from mainstream PCs once Intel integrated the northbridge and pretty much forced their southbridge to be used (I don't think VIA had much to do with AMD). In other words, it wasn't the GPU market that crushed them but rather the evolution of x86. Kind of a shame, because VIA made decent budget hardware and they started Pico ITX.
    3dfx was bought out by Nvidia, so they're still with us in spirit - SLI was a 3dfx technology.
    As you pointed out, Powervr isn't in the PC market anymore but they're still doing ok in ARM.

I think the real challenge really comes down to patents, cost, and manufacturing. Anybody new who would get even slightly close to encroaching on AMD's or Nvidia's territory (maybe even Intel's too) is going to get bought out.

It would definitely be nice to see some more competition, from someone new.

17. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    So... I can expect to never get a video card upgrade at this rate. Nice. I guess I'll just play League of Legends and old emulated games since they require squat for GPU power.

If I save $50 a day now maybe I can afford a GTX 3080 Ti when it's out in 2023. Thanks miners.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  18. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    RX failure is a better name.

19. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Currently it seems the card just might cost 1000€ here which would make it more expensive then 1080ti. now getting 1080ti and g-sync display might actually be cheaper then. Also unless that 1000€ is somehow actually faster and amd has been sandbagging like epic which I doubt.

20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    The HardOCP tests seemed like it would be interesting, but was actually far from it.

Doom was a poor choice imo, both cards should be more than capable of easily maintaining 100fps, so this tells us nothing.

It is pointing to Vega being very expensive though.