Help with soundcard drivers and items in startup

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by HonoredShadow, Feb 22, 2011.

1. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 ti
    I have just bought a new sound card. I now have a Xonar D1. I was using the on-board Realtek sound card.

I removed the Realtek sound driver from Programs add/remove then restarted, installed new card and software (after turning off the on-board of course).

But after using the card for a couple of days I have noticed in MSConfig that their is 2 things I'm not sure should be there.

The first one is called Realtek HD audio manager. Now I'm very certain that is not ment to be loading up now so I have unticked it. Right?

The other is CmiCnfg Dynamic Link Library. Now it says next to manufacture that its C_media Corp. So is this my new sound card or the old one?

Thanks all for any advice (especially ROB!)

Sy.

2. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    You can remove the realtek one...or disable it but leave the CMI entry alone as that is for your new card.

3. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 ti
    I have unticked the HD audio one and deleted the Realtek directory in Program Files and restarted. All seems well. Did not touch the other one.

Thanks for your help!

Took your advice and bought this card and think its great.

4. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Great. I am glad you enjoy the card and I am happy to help.

5. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    The Realtek HD Audio Manager shouldn't even start if it doesn't detect the onboard chip. I would suggest you to actually disable your onboard audio in the BIOS so it frees up the IRQ that the onboard occupies.

deltatux

6. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    He did disable the onboard.
    Many cards/onboards will still have items that will run in the background even if the device is not present.
    Some will still have start-up components loading when you have removed the drivers the traditional way. This is just an example of shoddy driver coding and a reason the realtek is part of the driver sweeper profiles.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  7. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Really? When I disabled my onboard, the Realtek drivers never bothered loading...

and naturally, I uninstalled them because they're now useless to me.

deltatux

8. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Sure. I have seen it happen many times. However, I go through many audio sources.

9. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 ti
    I even un-installed the software as well as turning off the card in bios but for some reason their was still a directory called Realtek/audio. So I deleted that and everything is great.

I'm sure I have even had a boost in fps as well because of this card instead of onboard.

Cheers again chaps!

10. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 ti
    Just got a strange bug with this cards software. In the control panel for the card it has various buttons to choose things like HIFI, Music, GX, Game and Movie.

If all bar the GX is unticked then the DSP mode should read none obviously. This is the default setting. This is what I want. But for some reason after clicking a few of said buttons and not liking any of them I have reverted to just GX on.

Unfortunately the control panel still shows in the DSP mode that Dolby Pro Logic II and Dolby Virtual is on. This did not happen before. If I only had GX mode ticked (default) then the DSP mode box showed none.

Any suggestions of how to change everything back to default?

Thanks all.

11. yleclerc

yleclerc Master Guru

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 1660 6GB
    I done this very same sound card upgrade.

Steps:

1) Uninstall the Realtek drivers from Add / remove Programs
    2) Disable the sound in my BIOS
    3) Powered down the PC completely
    4) Physically install the Xonar
    5) Start up Windows and install the Xonar drivers

And Yes, the Xonar seems to have C_media Corp chips on it os it is possible there are some "common" file from C_media Corp.

12. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    If you have a Xonar installed then you will have some C-Media entries in the startup mananger. This is normal.

13. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 ti
    I have a few other things in start up that I wish to ask about. Not sure if these are from the previous card or the new one.

HsMgr.exe and HsMgr64.exe