1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Rx Vega 64 LC crash/problem.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by MaestroBayten, Oct 18, 2018.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    For memory it looks like AMD pushes higher clock speeds at 144hz, setting it to 120hz and it should be back to regular idle speeds. Unknown if it's intended behavior or a workaround for what seems to be some problem with flickering and as a separate issue Vega 64 also had issues with it's lowest memory clock state and crashes but I thought it had been resolved.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/8nnuya/psa_vega_black_screen_crashes/
    (Not all cards though for this glitch.)

I don't believe any of these affects core clock speeds however but I am not 100% sure although the only thing I am aware of is the heightened memory clock speeds at 144hz which goes back to standard levels at 120hz or lower.

EDIT: That's a pretty hefty memory overclock too but if it's stable in general then that's not a major concern. I wonder if the GPU hits some spike or throttle for the framerate dips and it scales down as a result of either of these.

Still a lot of "ifs" for Vega and what it requires and also a lot of uncertainty on how it scales and what it throttles at.

If GPU activity falls below a certain threshold then the card would end up using p5 or lower clock speeds so there's that as well short of registry editing the complete power play table and setting values that way.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    MaestroBayten likes this.
  2. MaestroBayten

MaestroBayten Active Member

GPU:
    RX Vega 64 LC 8gb
    So i did some UV and reduced Frequenzy on P4/P5 and even on "low FPS" it stutter less.
    I think the Clocks from P1-P5 should be optimized aswell, they feel like to high to handle and my GPU starts to stutter. Symptom like losing Watt and Voltage on clocks around 13xxMHz to 16xxMhz randomly clockspeeds. Randomly memory from 1150Mhz to 800Mhz when the "low FPS occures. The voltage on H/W shows 1.xxxV than goes down to 0.950V
    Still got some "huge FPS drops" and im trying to fix it. Driver 18.10.2 felt more stable than 18.11.1 on UV.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  3. G13Homi

G13Homi Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 2x xfx
    What bios are you using? I found that my cards just did not like the higher core clocks that I flashed (1630 to 1750) I had very good luck with them in fire strike and in games that weren't very demanding. But once I got into heavy GPU demanding games like bf they just started baking, and even though my v-core temps and hbm temps were well within the limits, I still had too much instability. Switching back to stock bios stopped all of my crashes. In fact I found I'm getting much better performance with the latest whql drivers and stock core speeds. Even crossfire seems to be working in some games.

4. MaestroBayten

GPU:
    RX Vega 64 LC 8gb
    Got a stock settings,BIOS on my Vega 64 Liquid Cooled.

The problem is that even on games with less GPU usage i have huge FPS drops.

Driver 18.11.1 not working fine for me, 18.10.2 is a bit more stable.

Today after playing for 2-3 hours the FPS started to drop alot, never had that on the GPU before.

5. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
  6. MaestroBayten

GPU:
    RX Vega 64 LC 8gb
  7. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    You can look into it with Notepad/++
    Im using this since forever ;)

Click then merge.

8. MaestroBayten

GPU:
    RX Vega 64 LC 8gb
    So my GPU is on UV settings and i noticed even with undervolted its still draining 264Watt max on a power limit set to 0%.
    The clocks are set lower P6 1622Mhz and P7 1677Mhz shouldnt the UV lower the Wattage aswell?
    Now i saw it, it changes some settings on Radeon global settings.

G13Homi likes this.
  9. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    Depending on display resolution and the GPU requirements the driver can pull more than the specified value, from reading it seems the FP16 functionality that Vega has requires a tad more although it's used in what Far Cry 5 only thus far?
    And then something like 3840x2160 might require a bit more from the GPU as well which is why users report voltage above what's set in Wattman if it's too low though it can also be unstable or outright crash.

There's no real guide or recommended here since every GPU is slightly different but 1.0v to 1.05v for 1550 - 1600 Mhz up to 1.1v or 1.15v as the GPU reaches 1700Mhz+ is what I'm finding so far from searches.
    GPU-Z or similar to check the power value would be needed and that can then be used as a basis, it should start at a lower value and will try to keep within parameters but if needed then the GPU can boost above these limits too. :)

Unfortunately that goes for clock speeds too at least for earlier drivers, some of these games could see the GPU try to push 1750 - 1780 Mhz and quickly reach a point where it crashed but I haven't seen too many reports for the current drivers ability to manage voltage and clock speeds from the power limit threshold which I think is the only slider available if you use the default mode in Wattman so it might have improved.
    (That's been my experience with some older Unreal Engine 4 titles in particular where the GPU goes above the set limits for some reason, I know NVAPI is used extensively by this engine and various micro optimizations but I can't really say if that's the cause of AMD's driver issues here or just something different entirely on how these titles affect the GPU and it's overall workload and how that is reported back to the driver.)

2560x1440 (My native display resolution.) is keeping things within the parameters I've set but I'm guessing this changes slightly at 120hz instead of a 60hz display and then 144hz or higher might change it more.
    Which would also work with a 3840x2160 display or higher and then there's features such as FreeSync and HDR possibly also having some effect such as HDR and a slight need for extra bandwidth. :)

I have a lot more to learn about these GPU's and this area is mostly new stuff entirely for what I'm reading up on, in a way it makes sense that the GPU is under more stress from 4k and a higher refresh rate but that also makes it harder to fine tune the clock values in Wattman or third party utilities extending into OverDrive Next and it's hooks if the GPU can boost above the limits specified both for clock speeds and voltage from well that's also a thing for how it determines these things and where it starts boosting and how much.
    (Thus is gets a bit more difficult if you notice this behavior when monitoring what it draws compared to what it should be using and you might need to use slightly higher values to get it to stabilize.)

EDIT: This stems mostly from VSR and pushing 3840x2160 and 5120x2880 in games where users reported different parameters and values for the GPU, AMD tweaked it in the drivers or tweaked something with VSR perhaps and this improved but the cards can still go above the user set values if these are on the low side of things.

Which as with most computer hardware each chip has it's own limits and varying parameters for how much power it needs and stability and possible max clocks as a sort of very simplified ASIC quality with less leakage and well the higher end Vega 64's would have the better binned GPU chips since they make the cut and are used in these cards but there is still a bit of a variance between every card. :)

EDIT: At 0% the power draw is 280w isn't it? So if it's hitting 260 some that's within parameters and that might be why it's boosting a bit too, default seems to be +15% now probably hitting near 300w if the GPU requires it.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  10. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    ^^
    My research in terms of tW on My Vega is a bit interesting.
    For 70-90FPS my XTX don't need more than ~140-220tW (depends on Game & API) i mean ^spikes^ not Average ~-~ ;)

I remeber UE3 HoMM VII (Heroes ;)) it's DX9/10 and on my last Fury it needs ~200-230tW !
    Now with Dynamic Shadows & 4k Shadow Mod (not used w/Fury) it stays 64-70 Chilled and it needs ~130-145tW (with HBM2 is about +20tW more)

On the other hand DX12 is the Most power efficient API of the All Time !
    We need more DX12 Games for sure, Dx12 is a bit better than VLK in those terms (I love both BTW :rolleyes:)

I will test some more w/New Driver & RAM, but now im sucked into BFV.
    GPU+HBM+Board (Board is not more than 7-15tW)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018

11. MaestroBayten

GPU:
    RX Vega 64 LC 8gb
    Flanker35M wrote a post on the Vega tweak thread something about an IL-2.exe.

That made the GPU more stable after his UV did not work.
    What is this IL-2.exe? And what does it do? :oops:

12. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ Vega 64
    It’s a game an older game now a Flight Sim that can run like crazy on Vega

13. MaestroBayten

GPU:
    RX Vega 64 LC 8gb
    @INSTG8R Thanks for the Informtion. :D

14. MaestroBayten

GPU:
    RX Vega 64 LC 8gb
    Yesterday i had my first crash with Balance mode/Stock settings.
    Driver 18.11.1 opened GPU-Z and started Destiny 2 for a mission.
    While loading it crashed and PC restarted.
    I heard alot positive Feedback about the new driver but for me its not working as good as they all call it.:oops:

EDIT1: 18.11.2 Works really good, Leauge of Legendes have almost no FPS drops on stock settings. Time to play some rankeds :D.
    Going to try UV and some other games like Destiny 2 PVP, Warhammer 2 and Warframe.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  15. MaestroBayten

GPU:
    RX Vega 64 LC 8gb
    After some test i found something interesting.

I read something about that P4-P5(frequency) voltage would modify the voltage of HBM. So i did some "tests"
    OnnA gave me his UV settings that i put in with the PPtable Editor.

This UV settings is working for now but look at the P4 Voltage and the Memory Voltage.
    Also if i try to set the HBM higher than 800Mhz it will crash as soon the game starts.
    If i lower Voltage on P4 and HBM it will still crash.
    If i set the Power Limit higher would it affect the Voltage of the HBM aswell?
    Going to try some other tests on the Voltage and see if i can get higher HBM clock while undervolting card.

[​IMG]

Im using the 18.11.2 Driver since its working pretty well.

EDIT1: Power Limit 20% = Crash.

EDIT2: RegPP 220Watt settings are more stable on 264BIOS than the RegPP 264Watt on 264BIOS.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018

16. MaestroBayten

GPU:
    RX Vega 64 LC 8gb
    Im back after some huge desperation and testing over testing.

After alot of testing of GPU, CPU and RAM i think i managed to find the problem.

The problem was/is that my CPU core voltage is way to high even on auto settings without any OC.

So i did start to undervolt my CPU by offset mode and i did alot of undervolt and things are improving on positive way! :D

I even managed to undervolt my GPU without instant Crashes on games and i can almost hit OnnA's UV settings except P7. For me a bit higher.

-Tj- and OnnA like this.
  17. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    Never give up ;)

18. MaestroBayten

GPU:
    RX Vega 64 LC 8gb
    Since i do not have much knowledge about PC and stuff.
    How is it possible that a overvolted CPU prevent a GPU to undervolt? o_Oo_O
    It makes no sense to me.