1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with PC mouse going dead for few seconds

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by dockap, Apr 26, 2012.

1. dockap

dockap Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 470 sli
    Hi, I am having a strange problem. My PC mouse goes dead for a few seconds and then starts working. I have a Logitech G9X laser mouse which started having this problem and after a few days went completely dead. I then connected my old Logitech MX518 optical mouse which was fine for a day but later started developing the same problem.
    What may be the cause of the above problem? My PC is running fine expect for the above problem.

2. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    It could be that you've overloaded the amp limit on your USB controller.

It happens with higher end gaming mice that draw more power.

One way to test is to use an externally powered hub in between the computer and mouse, and see if it still happens.

-scheherazade

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    dead as it disconnects and reconnects?

4. dockap

dockap Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 470 sli
    the red light goes off like the mouse is not connected to the PC and after a few seconds it comes back. I checked the logitech forums and this is what i found

Recently my g9 has been switching on and off i finally narrowed it down to the cable going into the mouse

I read some forum posts about the g9 and alot of people seem to have the same issue with the cables

Basically for some of the people that arent too technical you can fix this with a DIY job at home if you have some time and few tools

Basically you unscrew 4 screw from bottom of mouse under the plastic pads and carefully pull it apart remembering where each screw and piece goes after that you pull the top of the mouse cover off and becareful theres a small data looking cable that attaches top to bottom there is a little black peice of plastic that holds the cable in get that off then you are free to remove the top part of the mouse

Next you can see a cable with a white connection that has 5 wires

2 blacks
    1 red
    1 white
    1 green

remove the white connection and remove the cable from the mouse now basically all you want to do is cut somewhere along the mouse cable inside you will have some wire wrapped around what looks to be aluminium foil type stuff the wire wrapped around the foil seems to be the grounding i gather *unsure* but is useless from what i can see then all you need to do is connect

black to black
    red to red
    white to white
    green to green

I would suggest using a soldering iron to secure the connection then some electrical tape to cover 1's that done you can pretty much put the mouse back together and you will have a working g9 again that does not switch off

Sorry about the poor grammar / spelling hopefully this can help some people with the same issue any questions mail me on whirlpool

Yes i know you can go buy a new 1 for $100 and save your time but i like to fix things :D

5. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX970
    When it's dry out I sometimes get a static shock off my G9X and it dies for a second or 2 then comes back.