Help with getting bookshelf+subwoofer to work on PC.

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by signex, Aug 23, 2017.

1. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti
    I've posted this before, but apparently i've used a censored link/source i had no idea.

I bought a pair of Edifier R1280T powered bookshelf PC speakers, and a used Canton AS10 subwoofer.
    I'd like to get 2.1 working with this setup, the edifier R1280T has 2 additional RCA Line-In inputs and my subwoofer does too with 4x speaker wire inputs.

Is there anyway to get this to work on PC? i don't need an AMP cause these already have amps inside them.

2. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT Gam. X
    I think all you need is two 3,5 mm to 2 x RCA (stereo) adapter cables. Plug the Front Out from your sound card to the bookshelf speakers and the Center/Sub Out to your subwoofer.

Don't connect the speakers to the subwoofer speaker wire outputs as the speakers have an amp of their own. The speaker wire outputs are meant for passive speakers only (use the amp of the sub).

signex likes this.
  3. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti
    Ah of course, haven't even thought about it that way, cheers i'll try that.

4. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT Gam. X
    Np, let me know how (if) it works :)

signex likes this.

5. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti
    It kinda works, but only when i test the sub. But when i go to youtube or start up a game it doesn't work.

Have to mention, i still have my old 2.1 connected to the front speaker outputs on the motherboard.
    And i set my config to 5.1 and disabled everything but the sub/stereo speakers.

EDIT: Would this work? if i don't get it to work the way you said, i can do it this way by buying a USB DAC next monday + required cables and do it like that.

Picture: https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/760219.jpg

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  6. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT Gam. X
    If you test speakers in Windows control panel or sound card control panel, do you get both audio channels + sub normally? If yes try disabling on board sound alltogether and retest games/YT, maybe having two 2.1 setups simultaneously confuses Windows.

Did you hook it up like this, with two 1x3,5mm -> 2 x RCA splitter cables?:

Front Out (3,5 mm) -> speaker Left (RCA) + speaker Right (RCA)
    Center/Sub Out (3,5 mm) -> subwoofer Line in (RCA, also test which RCA cable is actually the Sub, as the other will be Center channel obviously)

If you've set speaker config to 5.1 and disabled rear and center speakers, chances are some audio is lost when not playing surround sound content.
    Check your sound card control panel (not Windows' own) for "stereo surround" or "stereo upmix" and enable if available. This upmixes non-surround sound to all channels ie. plays stereo sound from both front and rear speakers, could help.
    At least Creative sound cards should have the upmix option, usually in THX control panel.

Failing all else use only the Front Out and just split either speaker line to the sub, then set speaker config to stereo. However the Front Out + Sub Out should work in all sense, the sound card doesn't know (care) you're actually using two different amps :p

signex likes this.
  7. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    True 2.1...ah is a bit of a mess when it comes to PC audio systems E.g soundcards and drivers.

If you are trying to drive a true 2.1 system with a soudcard it may be a bit of a trick and take experimenting.

How are you driving it?

stereo output from the card and the sub is filtering from the speakers?
    Or
    Stereo and subwoofer output from the card?

It is a bit hard to explain where the trouble comes in but if you want to hear it let me know.

I griped about this issue with many of the manufacturers, I guess it wasn't that high on the list of function to have on a new card.:(

It may work somewhat if, you use 5.1 and set bass redirection. If driving stereo speaker and sub from the source/card. If you are filtering your bass from the speakers, you do not have true 2.1 only 2.0 with filtered bass....if that makes any sense.

signex likes this.
  8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT Gam. X
    Is this your sub?:

[​IMG]

seems it's meant to be used with Front Out / stereo output actually as there's L and R RCA inputs. You would then connect your speakers to above wire connectors but like said works with passive speakers only.

It should work with the above method though if you plug the Sub Out from sound card to RMono and leave L empty.

Edit / correction: looking closer at the picture the speaker connectors indeed say 'input'. So you can 'steal' the signal from the bookshelf speakers for the sub.

So one option is to set speaker config to 2.0 and grab the sub signal from speakers.

signex likes this.
  9. sidi0us

sidi0us Member

GPU:
    Intel HD4000
    You could use a 3.5 mm jack splitter like this to output stereo from the soundcard and split the signal. I do this all the time. It's not the best solution but it works.

By doing this, you send the whole frequency range and the speakers / woofer should cut whatever they can't do. Otherwise the only method is to use ffdshow or anything that can do custom audio output with 2.1 audio setup, but that won't work with anything else than a directshow player like mpc-hc or even foobar with custom mixer.

signex likes this.
  10. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti
    Sorry got a bit sidetracked by a game, haven't checked for replies in hours.

I got it to work with my current 2.1 setup, i enabled swap center / subwoofer output and enabled the center speaker and now it works.
    Have to wait till tomorrow for my Edifier R1280T to arrive, and see how that turns out.

So far it sounds good, but the sub sounds muffled, but the actual woofer seems to be inside the cabinet lol.
    This sub was very very cheap anyway, i'll have to test it tomorrow and put it under my desk.
    It's currently far away from where i'm sitting, cause my current 8" subwoofer is taking the space beneath my desk.

My second option is to get this subwoofer: http://bilder.hifi-forum.de/medium/117862/dsc01284_603368.jpg
    It has additional outputs for my Edifier R1280T, so i can connect the sub to the onboard soundcard so i can use Stereo.

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT Gam. X
    ^ ah you still haven't got the Edifiers. Yeah swap center / sub or switch the RCA cables around if you used 2 x RCA adapter from 3,5 mm out.

Yeah cabinet/closed woofers are a bit muffled but positioning them in a corner can give pretty strong bass as the sound resonates from structures. The cone is positioned downwards so it's meant to "bounce" sound from floor.

signex likes this.
  12. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti
    I got them just now and hooked up, they came without the RCA cables so i searched a few bags for cables, finally got one working without getting white noise.

Don't really have a "corner" where i can put it, i sit against a wall without any side walls.
    But i'm purchasing that other sub anyway, it's more powerful and i can hook it up as stereo.

AsiJu likes this.
  13. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT Gam. X
    Nice go! Enjoy your new tunes!

I have Z-906 5.1 system myself, but I've replaced the default satellites with proper speakers. B&O wall mounted speakers in front and Eltax Jupiter towers in rear.

The sub of Z-906 has nice 165 W oompf and satellites get 60-70 W as well so loud enough :p
    Sound quality is very good for a unit of that price (well, the speakers add to that of course but I already had them for a while) and the difference a proper sound system makes vs. small or cheap speakers is massive.