Help with FX 8350 OC

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Forenglandalec, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Forenglandalec

Forenglandalec Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 970GTX OC
    Hey everyone. It's been awhile since I've been on Guru 3D.

My brother sold me his desktop when he upgraded and I'm trying to get as much out of it as possible before I have to gut the mobo and CPU to transition over to intel.

I've spent the last week researching modern overclocking.

I'm having some issues. I cannot seem to overclock this CPU past stock AT ALL.

Either in prime95 or occt I will have an error or freeze, or I will seemingly pass a few hours of those tests everything seems fine and then at points the OS will just lock up.

Usually these lockups consist of the mouse cursor freezing and the screen locking up shortly after an early morning reboot. Usually the freeze is on the desktop.

I have disabled all of the green power saving features. I've tried both offset and manual for voltage. And I've tried 4.2-4.6 and each time I can sometimes get through the stress tests but it will lockup as I stated. My voltage I have attempted stock all the way to 1.47 which was generated by LLC under load when I selected 1.4 or 1.42 manually.

I have gskill 16 ddr 3 1866 (x2) which I have set down to 1333 in an attempt to stabilize but no luck.

My temps during the stress tests usually go no higher than 65 socket sometimes 70 if I push a higher clock/voltage.

It just seems anything minor or major makes no difference. Sometimes I can run 3dmark, game for a few hours but usually after a reboot I freeze shortly after boot up, no bsod.

Looking for suggestions for anything I may not have tried or thought of.

Oh and my mobo is a asus m5a97 r2.0 WITH heat sinks on the vrm. I have an aftermarket CPU cooler, my extra stock cooler right on top of the VRM heat sink and 4 other case fans. Lots of ventilation, dusted out and everything seems hooked up properly.