Help with Color Calibrating 2 Monitors (Dell&Samsung)

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by G-lad21, Apr 2, 2017.

1. G-lad21

G-lad21 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070@ACX3.0
    Hello guys, i have a 4k samsung monitor for quite a while(u24e590d) which i love and today i got a really good offer for the Dell P2415Q, they are both with the same resolution and about the same size, but i cant help but notice the color difference.

i'm really clueless about color calibrating, and i tried the windows calibrating software but it still doesnt help that much.
    here - http://imgur.com/a/fuBOS
    is the picture of the two,i know a smartphone camera cant really tell alot but it seems like the whites on the dell are a bit more yellowish, i prefer the color on the samsung monitor, does anyone know of a better way making the 2 monitors produce the same colors?

Thanks for any help!

2. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX970
    Did you try the color temperature settings on the monitor itself?

3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    "Yellowish" probably means the monitor is set to a white point of 6500K. See if the monitor has a "tempreture" setting (sometimes also called "white balance".) If there's a setting for 7400K, then use that. Sometimes the settings are called "warm" and "cold".

If there's no such setting, then go into the color settings of the monitor (where you can set values for red, green and blue) and reduce the value for red and green, or (alternatively) increase the value for blue. Or a combination of both. Experimentation is needed to find the best values that make the image match the other monitor.

With that being said, the "yellowish" warmer white point (6500K) is actually the correct one. It's just that you got used to a 7400K white point since that's what you used in other monitors. Some monitors use that calibration by default to make the image appear artificially "more vibrant". Gaming monitors usually do that. Not all, but most.

It's all preference in the end though. If you're not a graphics designer who needs accurate white tempreture balance, then use whatever looks good to you.

6500K is the "correct" white point because daylight (you know, from the sun during the day :p) is also 6500K, and on monitors a 6500K white point results in a more natural picture. A good monitor that's well calibrated will use that. If you're not used to it though, it will seem "yellowish" compared to many other monitors, because those other monitors are actually "bluish".

Also, there's only so much you can do through the monitor's OSD controls. By changing the RBG values too much, even if that gives you a white balance you like, you can actually make color reproduction worse. So be careful with that, otherwise your color accuracy can go down the drain.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017