Help with 50% overclock on my 2800+ Newcastle

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Seongmin, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Seongmin

Seongmin Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 4830 512MB
    Well, I have a 2800+ Newcastle that is supposed to run stock at 1.8 Ghz. I know that this cpu is quite outdated, so am therefore trying to squeeze every piece of performance out of it. It's currently clocked at 2.62 (290 fsb cpu / 242 on my $20 Kingston Ram....). I'm not sure if it's stable yet, only because I can't get the stupid drivers to install (won't even install at stock settings), so I'm going to be heading to a friends house and downloading new ones.

Here is my question..., the temp sensor is apparently malfunctioning on the DFI Infinity NF4X mobo, and so I'm using the case temp and ambient temps to do a rough estimate (I've had this cpu up to 2.62 before on my ECS NForce 3-A, but it wasn't stable) on the cpu temp. I've changed the CPU voltage to 1.625, memory up to 2.8, and left the chipset voltage at 1.5. Let's say for example, that this overclock becomes unstable, is it fine to increase the memory to 2.9 and chipset voltage to 1.6 without worrying about anything exploding?!? I'm honestly quite scared that something's going to spark and cause a fire... Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

2. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    uuh..... i don't know about you..... but i highly doubt you can get any kind of "rough estimate" from case and ambient temps. cranking up voltages can increase temperatures dramatically, and also cause the CPU and probably ram to die sooner. i think you're going a tad too far to OC your CPU by 50%, ESPECIALLY if it's on air..... and most especially without any exact temperature readings.

3. momomo67890

momomo67890 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    285gtx/4750
    Try the newer bios those dfi boerds are very buggy with bios