Help. Uninstalled Samsung Nvme 960 driver. Now can’t boot to windows

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Enycer, Apr 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Enycer

Enycer Member

GPU:
    1080i Ti Sli
    Hello. I was trying to update my NVMe 960 driver to the latest version 3.3. When I downloaded the exe file from Samsung site .. I clicked on the uninstall option and rebooted my pc. Since my OS is installed on that NVME.. I can no longer boot up to windows 10. instead it takes me to some blue setup scree menu where I can reinstall Windows, use command prompt, system restore etc..

I should of never uninstalled but thought I needed to do that before I install the new driver version.

Is their anyway I can install the .exe driver file via command prompt or am I out of luck and have to reinstall my entire pc

2. Caesar

Caesar Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    https://neosmart.net/wiki/fix-mbr/

Fix the MBR in Windows 10
    You need the original Windows 10 installation DVD to repair the Master boot record.

If you don’t have the Windows 10 installation DVD to run Command Prompt, go to Fix MBR with Easy Recovery Essentials.

The instructions are:

1. Boot from the original installation DVD (or the recovery USB)
    2. At the Welcome screen, click Repair your computer
    3. Choose Troubleshoot
    4. Choose Command Prompt
    5. When the Command Prompt loads, type the following commands:
      bootrec /FixMbr bootrec /FixBoot bootrec /ScanOs bootrec /RebuildBcd
      [​IMG]

Windows 10 Repair Your Computer Menu

6. Press Enter after each command and wait for each operation to finish
    7. Remove the DVD from the disk tray
    8. Type exit
    9. Hit Enter
    10. Restart your computer and check if Windows 10 can now boot
    If bootrec utility doesn’t fix your Windows 10 installation, try following the next commands to fix the EFI bootloader:

1. Boot from the installation DVD or the Windows 10 setup or recovery USB
      2. Click Repair your computer
      3. Choose Troubleshoot
      4. Choose Command Prompt
      5. Type these commands in order and hit Enter after each:
        diskpart sel disk 0 list vol
        These commands will select the first disk of your computer and the list all the partitions available on that disk.

6. Check for the volume item that has the Fs column FAT32. The EFI partition must be formatted under FAT32. If the volume number of EFI partition is “2”, type the following command:
        sel vol 2
        If the volume number is different than 2, replace “2” with the number available on your computer.

7. Assign a letter to this partition, a letter that is different that those already available on your computer, for example x:\. Type this command to assign the letter:
        assign letter=x:
      8. Wait for the success message to appear:
        DiskPart successfully assigned the drive letter or mount point.
      9. Type exit to quit the DiskPart utility:
        exit
      10. Type this command and replace x:\ with the letter you assigned earlier to the EFI partition:
        cd /d x:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\
      11. Then type the bootrec command to repair the volume:
        bootrec /fixboot
      12. Now you need to backup the old BCD and recreate a new one. Type:
        ren BCD BCD.backup
      13. Type this command to recreate the BCD and replace the x:\ with the assigned letter earlier:
        bcdboot c:\Windows /l en-us /s x: /f ALL
      14. In above command, Windows is installed on c:\. If the drive letter where you have Windows 10 installed is different, replace c:\ with your drive letter.
    1. Remove the DVD from the disk tray
    2. Type exit
    3. Restart your computer

-----------------------------------------
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/devtest/pnputil

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  3. Enycer

Enycer Member

GPU:
    1080i Ti Sli
    Thank you for the information. Thought would be a simple command fix to install the exe driver file.. seems my boot record has to be replaced?

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    why would uninstalling the nvme driver cause the mbr to be messed up?

it wouldn't, whats morel ikely is the nvme driver has a filter referenced that got removed with the nvme uninstaller, you can't just uninstall storage drivers (and most prevent you doing so, it needs to usually be surgically removed from the system by removing lowerfilter references (especially intels iastorf.sys) or you get failed boots.

5. Enycer

Enycer Member

GPU:
    1080i Ti Sli
    Thank you for explaining. I went to troubleshoot>advanced options>command prompt> it takes me to x:\windows\system32

I entered bootrec /fixMbr but it said “the system cannot find the file specified”

does that I mean I have to download the esstintials since I don’t have the windows 10 dvd

6. Enycer

Enycer Member

GPU:
    1080i Ti Sli
    Nevermind I fixed the fixMbr issue via my bios. I had to delete secureboot key and install default ones.

would I do the fixMbr on my F: drive? F is my nvme drive that has my os installed on or just the default x:?

Update: spoke to soon.
    Seems when I type bootrec that works and shows me the commands I can use but when I do bootrec /fixMbr it gives me the system cannot find the file specified

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    1) MBR has nothing to do with NVMe.
    2) You even can`t have MBR at all if you installed Win10 in UEFI mode - you would have GPT partitioning.

I don`t know why Caesar suggested to fix MBR without explaining or asking about your Win10 installation.

Do not waste time on fixing what is not broken. Reinstall Windows 10 right over the current installation - so called in-place upgrade.

386SX and AsiJu like this.
  8. Enycer

Enycer Member

GPU:
    1080i Ti Sli
    Wow Ty MBK. I was about to install easy recover essentials on a flash drive.

So guessing only option is to reinstall windows like you said. Now on the blue screen that has options for fixing windows.. I see an option called “Reset this Pc”
    .a) remove my apps and settings but keeps your personal files
    B) remove everything

Is that option okay to do or I must do a clean?

also forgot to mention.. I have a system image backup of my F: nvme os drive from about 2 days ago before I uninstalled the driver.. problem is when I did that option it asks me location for installed hardware driver but of course when I selected .exe nvme drive file it said wasn’t valid.

If I did option A reset my pc. Just to get my Pc booting to windows again l.. could I do a system image restore after that?
    Here’s some photos so you can see what I mean
    Also the red error you see is when I tried to do a restore point not system image restore
    ED29FBF4-5E1A-4E4A-A442-1A83D5325331.jpeg C4F8A9AC-53B7-4DE0-BC8D-2E49E82EC750.jpeg 95F92FB0-3A83-4AEC-920B-F4D5D6C4A5EE.jpeg E79EC556-EAF5-4093-978B-B9F8C5D7362D.jpeg

9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    @Enycer

If you install Windows just over the current installation it should repair the issue leaving all the info intact.
    Or you you can restore from backup image.
    Or you can reset PC keeping your files.

Resetting PC can miss the NVMe drivers. It should not but who knows.
    Restoring from image will solve 100%. As well as re-installing Windows in-place.

PS As for drivers in exe-file - you have to extract them from exe-file yourself.

PPS I misread the part of failed restore from image. You are correct in your assumption - first reset PC with option in BSOD, and then restore from image. Or reinstall in-pace and then restore from image.

PPPS You actually can uninstall OEMs NVMe drivers but first you have to rollback NVMe controller to Windows own drivers (in Device Manager).

386SX likes this.
  10. Enycer

Enycer Member

GPU:
    1080i Ti Sli
    Not sure what I did wrong now but now i can’t do a “reinstall windows” from the blue screen.

I tried doing a system image restore and at like 1 minute mark I clicked on canceled cause I was worried it might be installing it on my other hard drives that have files in them. I disconnected those drives and just left the nvme in but this time when I tried system image restore again it gave me this error

6CD3ED27-EB59-456B-9502-3BD493F456A4.jpeg

So I tried reset my pc and remove everything.. it was at like 20 percent and restated my pc .. saying it was undoing changes and set to PE enviorement. Weird

315DB7A1-79D6-437A-8BC9-8DA6111D80B6.jpeg

Now I can’t access that drive where my os. Don’t even know what drive my os is on,

All I have left is that system image restore backup still but giving me errors. Is my finally option to do a clean windows install from a usb stick? Like downloading from windows 20 media creation tool? If I do tha. And my pc finally boots up. Would the image backup I have work so I can restore all my apps and files?

I talked to origin and they said if I did a clean install.. that the system image restore file may no longer work :(

11. Enycer

Enycer Member

GPU:
    1080i Ti Sli
    Sorry for all the images but I disconnected all my harddrives except the nvme and on bios I can see my Samsung nvme 960 showing up.

I downloaded a Windows recovery and placed it on my usb stick. Then I booted from usb stick and went to restore system image but now I get this error message. Anyone know the reason or how to fix? Or must I do a clean reinstall first 33456A30-EED9-4EB5-A2FF-3551355BEE0B.jpeg

12. Caesar

Caesar Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    Got to BIOS:

• After switching on the Power Button of your PC, it will show which buttons to press to go to UEFI/BIOS dashboard. Just press that button. F10, F2, F12 are the common keys.
    • In BIOS dashboard, find the relevant settings and modify it according to your preference. (check motherboard manual how to change to UEFI)
    ------------------------------
    If the error (0x800700xx) appears again, go to command prompt

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk 0

clean

* disk 0 is the nvme (on which u r going to install to)
    -----------------------
    Then restore the backup image

13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    @Enycer

You have to boot from UEFI USB drive - both to clean install and to restore from backup image.

PS When you launch a BIOS setup there is a section where you can choose the partition to boot from - you have to see a word "UEFI" (or "EFI")

[​IMG]

386SX likes this.
  14. Enycer

Enycer Member

GPU:
    1080i Ti Sli
    Thanks again for the advice. It says press delete or f2 to enter uefi boot settings. Which I did.. then brings up my asus uefi bios utility..

which options should I change here . Sorry my screen is a widescreen so I couldn’t get the options to fully show on 1 image.

Also I noticed my Samsung 8gn flash drive shows up twice. One as uefi and other not as uefi.. weird . How can I tell if my usb stick is in uefi?

Attached Files:

15. Enycer

Enycer Member

GPU:
    1080i Ti Sli
    Nevermind. I just saw your photo of choosing. Uefi selection on boot options. Ty! I selected boot from uefi usb Samsung flash drive and made changed on bios to use uefi first.. I went back to restore system image and so far it’s been 4 minutes with no errors.. saying restoring c: drive.. crossing fingers hope this works

16. Enycer

Enycer Member

GPU:
    1080i Ti Sli
    Thank you SOOO MUCH for the help!! Really wouldn't have made it this far if it wasn't for you guys. The backup system image restore went through successfully and Im up and running. No data/ file losts. BEST experts on this forum. Cant believe all that mess just for one mistake of uninstalling driver drive..

Should I continue to use Windows backup software. or use acronis or macronium?

AsiJu, SpajdrEX and mbk1969 like this.
  17. Caesar

Caesar Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    AOMEI Partition Manager.

18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Regular backups are the most powerful protection!
    As for software to use - for you as a basic home user there is no much difference. 3rd party apps provide advanced/extended features, which are more valuable for corporate/office people.

386SX likes this.
  19. 386SX

386SX Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    I use Acronis (with its boot cd image on USB) to do initial snapshots of a fresh windows install after drivers and updates, so I can roll back of needed.
    It takes about 10 to 15 minutes to restore from image (saved on the network).
    Plan recovery and do it at least once to learn the process. What do you need, what can be downloaded, what is critical and how should you proceed step by step to recover a broken install? Those are questions to be asked when planning recovery and backups in general.
    For example it is good to create a simple robocopy script to copy your user (C:\users\yourusername\ ) to another drive for backup, because Desktop, Downloads and Documents together with saved games are all located there as sub directories. Use /MIR as switch and it tracks when you delete stuff so it shrinks the next backup. Present files will be skipped, so a second / next backup may take a lot less time.
    Change source and target and you get a recovery script easily.

EDIT:
    Important: exclude the folder APPDATA!! ;)

EDIT2: If you like to save your Firefox profile, save
    %localappdata%\Mozilla\Firefox\
    and the same path with %appdata% instead, too.
    When installing the same or a higher version again you may copy it back (change source and target again) and have open tabs, passwords, history and everything back like the last time you closed it.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    mbk1969 and AsiJu like this.
  20. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    ^ that's very solid advice.

I'd add one detail to it though:
    If possible manually pick folders under AppData to include the most crucial ones only (save games under Local or Roaming etc).

AppData contains lots of temp stuff as well, not to mention leftovers from programs long since uninstalled.
    It also contains temp internet cache and is a likely place for malware should any be present.

By my experience.

Last thing you want is malware getting copied to your backup.

Alternatively consider excluding AppData completely and make manual backups of any saves stored under it.

At worst you shouldn't lose more than app specific settings if you need to restore your User folder from backup (and AppData is missing).

386SX likes this.