Help to select card

Discussion in 'Videocards vs General Purpose - NVIDIA Ageia PhysX' started by bigmen 2007, Mar 4, 2013.

1. bigmen 2007

bigmen 2007 New Member

GPU:
    Ati 4870X2
    Hello,

I am ready to update my old ring. The only thing that bothers me is witch gpu to choose.

I would like from your personal experience to give me help with my final decision. My budget is around 500EUR or 650USD.

As far as I can see 660ti sli beats the other two cards in benchmarks, but what about SLI problems (microshuttering, etc)? My monitor resolution is 1920x1080 and I am intrested in playing games mostly, in full graphic detail.

Thanx in advance.

2. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Just get a single card, either 7970GHz or GTX 680. You don't need more if you're running 1920x1080.

What store are you getting it from?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  3. bigmen 2007

bigmen 2007 New Member

GPU:
    Ati 4870X2
    I am from greece, so I found matrix here for around 508 EUR. I was also thinking about ebay, if I find something cheaper.

4. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Asus 7970 Matrix?

You don't need to go too expensive, what store are you getting it from? Allow me to help.

5. bigmen 2007

bigmen 2007 New Member

GPU:
    Ati 4870X2
    It is called shop4u. It's a greek store. I also found it on amazon, but it was way too expensive (about 650 pounds). If you have a sugestion feel free to share it.:)

6. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
  7. bigmen 2007

bigmen 2007 New Member

GPU:
    Ati 4870X2
    It's the same as matrix? I think that asus' card is faster. I want to be faster, since it will last (a little bit) longer.

Thanks for your answer by the way. I will think about it. Do you have any experience, or heard of something about 660ti sli? Is it a smart move?

8. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    That asus card ain't faster.. It's identical to the Gigabyte one, just a matter of different cooling and so on. Not many people have had good experiences with the ASUS DCUII(T) cards.. Gigabyte on the other hand has proven to be much better.

That shop4u site doesn't sell anything else besides those 2 cards.. so yeah. If you have any other site where you're willing to get the card from, then by all means you can give the links to me and I'll have a look.

I wouldn't go SLI, more heat.. more consumed power, normally SLI/Xfire setups don't get optimized so quick and so on, there's lots of things, single GPU will always be better.

That Gigabyte 7970 card I listed will do perfectly good, you can add some voltage to it and OC it to ~1200/1700 - beats GTX 680.

Anyways I will go to sleep now so I'll be able to continue with you tomorrow. Good night man. :)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  9. bigmen 2007

bigmen 2007 New Member

GPU:
    Ati 4870X2
    Thanks for your help my friend. I won't bother you any more with my card choise! You've helped me a lot already. Good night!

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    no difference between the 2 hd 7970, really. apart from the gigabyte costing a lot less. and is it just me or does a gtx 660ti sli just not make sense at any resolution? well, at around 1080p maybe, but then again why spend so much money on 2 cards when you only game at 1080p? Like Deathchild said, get a single card. hd 7950/70 are great. The gigabyte would be spot on for you. or the 7950 version. if you want to have fun with overclocking.

11. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yeah, I think you will be happy with that Gigabyte 7970 card, you can OC it easily and make it into a beast. :)