Help testing the new Forums server

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Sieras

Sieras Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 4GB
    Hmm just noticed one strange thing, dunno is it the forum bug or my FF beta4 is giving me a hard time..anyway, some threads, like this one for example, doesn't mark itself as viewed after reading it (it stays bold in the CP) although there's clearly no users posted after I viewed it..so no matter how much I try opening it and going to CP, it's still in bold there.. strange.

EDIT: just noticed another thing in this thread for example, it has an empty post box below, clicking on the expand arrow doesn't give anything, take a look:

[​IMG]

The current thread doesn't have it BTW. Is it a problem on my side or?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  2. Andrés

Andrés Guest

I've seen it happen a dozen of times during the last year, after a while they reappear.

3. MrOuija

MrOuija Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF2 MX 400 32MB/GF 7600 g
    Hia Hilbert, didn't notice a difference! Loaded in 2.250 sec. for me.

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    People with a lost AVATAR, please upload it again. The forums backup was made like 36 hours ago, any changes in avatars inbetween that timefrime are not included in that backup.

Upload it again, and it's cool again.

5. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
  6. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Works fine for me; really.

Log-out of the forums, then login again please. Sound like a cookie !

7. Sieras

Sieras Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 4GB
    Thanks for the advice, log-out procedure solved my problem. Well almost, there's still that empty post box at the end of that thread, but it's no big deal actually :)

8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I think you just simply collapsed the last box by accident. Go to the last box, look to the right. You'll see an arrow in the top of the box .. click it.

9. Sieras

Sieras Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 4GB
    I thought so in the first place, but clicking on that arrow doesn't give anything. Plus, now some user posted in that thread and his post is now right after that empty box, lol. Plus, the post numbers clearly show that it's not a collapsed box with a post..

[​IMG]

oh well, I doesn't mind it being there anyway, just thought that it's work mentioning :)

10. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    That maybe the advertising box ;)

11. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    You blocking ads by any chance ? Looks very much like the google box ...

12. Sieras

Sieras Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 4GB
    Yes I'm using Adsblock with FF but I have guru3d and the forums on the whitelist.. I'll double check that though, maybe it's some sort of bug with the adblock.

EDIT: just reinstalled Adblock, moved forums and the main site to the exception list once again, and wuolla, it's ok now. That indeed was the advertising box.. dunno why it wasn't showing any ads though.. oh well, it's fine now. Thanks for your help guys! :)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  13. Cycloid

Cycloid Master Guru

GPU:
    2x256MB Geforce 7800GTs in SLi
    I have also noticed on the default skin that the Quick reply box sometimes does not appear and seems to be random at this stage.

It doesn't appear in the 'collapsed' state, there is just no trace whatsoever.

PS. Using Firefox 2.0.0.12 on Windows Vista Ultimate x64

14. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    Haven't noticed any differences.

But I suppose that more a good thing than a bad thing :p

15. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Seem faster to me. Large threads loads faster and especially when editing them it feels more snappy i think.

16. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    I've had a few problems replying to posts using quick reply. When I hit "Post quick reply", the error box appears above, stating the following error has occured, but there is nothing in the report.

The reply still goes through sometimes.

17. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    You will have to explain that better, got no idea what you're talking about.

Screenshots with exactly what you're doing will be handy.

I'm also not interested in errors if you use things like Adblocks, because it distorts what errors are ours, and what the addon has decided to block and can be messy after it's chopped out code.

Typically, the server won't have anything to do with that, it processes what VBulletin have written and sends it to the browser. Any error is most likely the cause of the browser rather than the server.

18. Cycloid

Cycloid Master Guru

GPU:
    I have a question:

Is it a bug if the forums 'forget' that you are logged in (i.e. have to type Username+Password in again each time) under the conditions listed below?

1. Logged in correctly WITHOUT checking Remember Me
    2. In the same tab in the same instance of my browser (happens in IE7 and Firefox) I click a link/button to progress to another page. This can be a User CP button or a thread link or whatever, the 'You are not logged on...' page appears and I have to re-enter my credentials.

After I log in again, checking the Remember Me box, it never 'forgets' me again.

I would have thought that if I stay in the same session I would be remember with each new page load.

To test, I went to another site (toonzone) and tested the theory on their Vbulletin forum and they do not have the problem... but they were on version 3.6.4.

I took some Screenshots so let me know if I must go through the process of uploading them somewhere and post them.

19. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Clear your cache and cookies.

If you're log in without the Remember Me checkbox, it should keep you logged in until you close your browser completely.
    UNLESS you have some addons or other software that constantly wipes your history and cookies. Or having Firefox remove stuff on quit will do it as well.

If you want to stay logged in, just click the Remember me checkbox.

20. Cycloid

Cycloid Master Guru

GPU:
    Ok, Cleared cache and cookies (and everything else) in both browsers, closed and reopened.

The Remember Me checking option works fine but I still get the problem with it not checked. Only Flashgot add-on in Firefox for linking with GetRight when downloading files and absolutely nothing in IE7. Same result in both browsers.

I have also discovered that the problem seems to only occur when clicking a link going into (or out of) the main page. This is the page I am talking about: http://forums.guru3d.com/index.php

When I log in I get the 'Thanks for logging in...' screen but when the Index screen has re-loaded I am still 'logged out'. Going into a thread and then logging in works and gets remembered for the browser session, even when going to other threads (via USER CP Subscriptions), but forgotten again when entering the Index page.

Also, dunno if it makes a difference but I am using the Default skin.

Hope that was of some value... I will stop fussing about this now! :)