Help Request: Nvidia driver features not working on 1060 M laptop

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by BlindBison, Mar 1, 2022.

1. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Hi all,

A buddy of mine has a Razer Laptop with a 1060 M inside and to play modern games they would like to use Half-Refresh V-Sync to play them at native 1080p / a stable 30 (as their system just can't reach 60 reliably anymore in a lot of games without V-Sync stutter).

Their aim is to do the following:
    1) Enable Nvidia Control Panel Half Refresh Rate Adaptive V-Sync
    2) Turn on Nvidia Control Panel FPS limit to 31 (as if you set it to 30 the adaptive v-sync always tears, but you still appear to get "some" latency reduction capping to 31 versus not capping at all -- see Blur Buster's low lag v-sync guide for more on what I'm referring to here).
    3) Set max prerendered frames to 1 (or ultra, I don't know if the 1060 M control panel even lists the ultra feature, not sure).

The trouble is whenever we turn on half refresh rate adaptive v-sync via the control panel nothing happens -- it simply doesn't enable itself in any game we try. On my own desktop these features work fine, but I have a modern system.

Could this have something to do with Optimus? If so is there a way to turn it off in the bios for Razer laptops perhaps? Thanks!

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no support for any nvidia refresh techniques when rendering through a mux.

BlindBison likes this.
  3. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Thank you very much, this is what I figured. It’s an older Razer laptop so I’m not sure off the top of my head if it’ll have support for disabling Optimus but I’ll check.

Out of curiosity what game is your avatar from? Thanks,

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Astyanax, 1989 - NES.

BlindBison likes this.

5. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Ah, your name should’ve been a dead give away eh? Thanks good to know!

6. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    @Astyanax I'm sorry to bother you again on this, but since the laptop in question lacks a mux switch do you know if simply enabling in-game V-Sync + an exact half-refresh rate RTSS framerate limit would work? Or would that introduce frame pacing issues? Typically the process I'd use would be what I laid out in the description where I use the driver half-refresh rate v-sync + an fps cap to bring latency down (per the blur buster's low lag vsync guide) + ULLM enabled (I'm not even sure ULLM works with Optimus on at this point).

However, as only in-game v-sync will be available in this case (sadly the vast majority of games do not include the option for half refresh rate v-sync for whatever reason -- I really don't understand this since most run at 30 on consoles anyway) it would seem the best one could do is enable the full fat v-sync in the game settings then use an accurate fps cap at "true refresh"/2 then just hope for the best.

In conjunction with ULLM could maybe be an alright experience, not sure. The thing I worry about is whether or not this would end up causing weird framepacing issues since the game is trying to sync to 60 fps (and from what I gather framepacing issues usually come from devs using an inaccurate fps limiter without proper half refresh v-sync, but I don't know for certain). Thanks!

One thing that comes to my mind is Crysis 2 and 3 on console -- since they were capped to 31 fps (with full v-sync on rather than half refresh rate vsync on which would've correctly capped the game to 30 regardless of the limit) it had weird issues since the game would tick upwards to the 16.7 ms mark so this is what I'd want to avoid basically.

To my recollection @RealNC had commented a long time back that for the BlurBusters low lag v-sync guide to work right at 30 fps you would need to be using proper half refresh v-sync rather than just full v-sync + fps cap at half, but I might be misremembering. Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
  7. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Just an aside one thing I thought of is maybe disabling the integrated graphics via the device manager could bypass optimus, but I'm kind of doubtful this would work -- if it would then I imagine I'd have seen it around as a suggestion to bypass Optimus but I haven't really seen it recommended googling round. Still, will give this a shot after work.

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    if you disable the intel driver, you'll probably be greeted by a black screen.

Optimus and MSHybrid draw into the IGP framebuffer and are presented to the display by the IGP.

It should work.

MrJingles75 and BlindBison like this.
  9. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    It depends on how the video chips are wired to your laptop's display. If they are wired separately, it will work, if not and everything goes through the integrated GPU, you likely won't get a video signal.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
    BlindBison likes this.
  10. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070