Help Request: 3200 MHz RAM stuck at 2133 MHz even after enabling XMP in BIOS

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by BlindBison, Oct 17, 2020 at 12:07 AM.

1. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Imgur link to BIOS screenshots/pics: https://imgur.com/gallery/Op4f0Tk

Hello there guys,

Recently I noticed my 3200 MHz RAM (as certified by the manufacturer) is only running at 2133 MHz. To rectify this I went into my BIOS and changed the "Auto" setting to XMP ("XMP ... 3200 MHz as labelled). Unfortunately when I rebooted my machine and viewed RAM speed in the task manager it still reads as 2133 MHz.

I also tried changing "Load DRAM profile" to the one listed as "2x 16 GB 3200 MHz" but the same thing occurred -- the task manager still reads as 2133 MHz instead of 3200 MHz.

What should I do? Am I doing something wrong? In one of those screenshots you can see that I press "Save changes and exit" and the changes do appear to be saved since when I reboot into the BIOS it still has the XMP profile selected.

Thanks for your help and time, I appreciate it.

EDIT: If it's relevant, I did update my BIOS maybe 7 months ago or some such since Paul'sHardware recommended maybe doing so if you're using a Ryzen processor (I am -- 3900X). Perhaps this is when it got borked? I've been noticing quite a lot of microstuttering at high framerates in my games recently and I'm wondering now if this RAM speed is the reason. Thanks again,

EDIT #2: Motherboard is "X570 Phantom Gaming 4" if it's relevant and I'm using a 3900X + 2080 Super and the RAM is 2x16 Gig sticks of "G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB DDR4 3200MHz". Going off what I'm reading online, I may attempt to update my BIOS to the latest version then try again -- there have been a couple bios updates since the last time I updated it.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020 at 12:46 AM
  2. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Yeah, even after updating the BIOS to latest -> Resetting default BIOS settings -> enabling 3200 MHz XMP, windows still reports RAM speed as 2133 MHz in the task manager.

3. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Are they identical sticks? Did you buy them as a pair? Have you tried one at a time? It's possible one is defective.

BlindBison likes this.
  4. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    @jbscotchman Thanks, I purchased them together and they are identical sticks. I have not tried them separately no, but I'll see if I can give it a go -- interestingly if I bump Voltage from default (1.205) to something like 1.305 (which according to this: https://www.legitreviews.com/what-i...text=DDR4 memory is very new,that run at 1.5V should hopefully be a safe-ish value/within reason) then I'm able to reach something like 2900 MHz though in my local tests. So far so good -- sadly even at 1.350V there's no breaking 3000 MHz stable it would seem.

jbscotchman likes this.

5. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Well I think you confirmed an issue that ASRock boards have when using more than 16gb, which I have experienced myself. When you go up to 32gb they don't like going past 2900mhz, but I thought this was only for budget boards. This is something that guru3d should investigate. I added an identical set of dims recently to get to 32gb and couldn't get past BSOD's when enabling XMP.

BlindBison likes this.
  6. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    @jbscotchman Yeah, for now I’ve reached out to the manufacturer via email so I’ll see if they have any further ideas. Perhaps there’s something I’m missing, but in any case at least I seem to be able to get 2933MHz @1.305V (up from 1.205V default). I’ve left everything else but the voltage and speed at auto/default. It would be interesting if this was a wider issue as you say — I am running 2x16 gig sticks.

jbscotchman likes this.
  7. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Another guru who I won't mention also had an issue going past 2900mhz on an Asrock board when trying to use 32gigs of memory. On my my board (B450m Pro 4) it absolutely refused to accept 32gb at 3200mhz.

8. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    @jbscotchman So, it turns out that I don't even need to bump the voltage up from its default of 1.205V to set the frequency of the RAM to 2933 MHz. I verified this by running the Ryzen DRAM memtest and got zero errors. Also loaded up a game of Hunt Showdown at Max settings/uncapped which worked like normal.

So, it looks like anything above 2933 MHz just won't boot -- regardless of Voltage setting or losening primary timings. You may be onto something with the motherboard/32 gigs of RAM bit. So, perhaps my RAM actually IS rated properly for 3200 MHz at something like 1.35V, but due to some quirk with the ASRock X570 phantom gaming 4 board, if you have 32 gigs it won't boot beyond 2900-ish. Just speculating though based on your comments. It would be fascinating to hear if more people had encountered this issue.

Anyway, thanks for your comments, I appreciate it!

jbscotchman likes this.
  9. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    It's definitely something tech sites should check out.

BlindBison likes this.
  10. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    @jbscotchman Any idea how to contact the board manufacturer perhaps? I'm not really sure who the fault would lay with, but I know for the Nvidia Driver section they have a contact (though that wouldn't apply here of course) -- without reaching out somewhere I sorta figure this is just an issue that's never going to be investigated and it would probably require a patch of some kind to rectify I imagine.

11. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    @AsiJu thanks, that’s helpful — so far I haven’t messed with the timings, but since I can’t push above 2933 I may try dropping the primary timings down.

Are secondary timings worth messing with or no?

One thing I’m also a little perplexed about is, I know raising Voltage a bit can help you push higher frequencies, but does pushing up Voltage a bit also allow you to lower timings further or is it no effect at all there?

Thanks!

12. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    You should not need to adjust voltage, timings, or anything. If your ram doesn't run at what its advertised as then its defective. An end user should not have to do any tweaking.

BlindBison likes this.
  13. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Well that's what makes it complicated. I'm pretty positive it's a problem with ASRock mainboards since this is happening to multiple people including the OP and lots of other people based on my personal research.

BlindBison likes this.
  14. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Thanks for your comments, this has all been helpful! I’ll check out AMD’s DRAM calc then.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020 at 2:29 AM
  15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Up the soc and ram voltage step by step. Play with geardown and powerdown. If its dual rank kit you'll probably have a realy hard time trying to make it stable.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020 at 8:12 AM
    BlindBison and AsiJu like this.

16. 386SX

386SX Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    tRFC is one value you want to get down besides the primary timings.
    TRDRD SCL and it's brother TWRWR SCL are worth mentioning, too.
    Primary timings: XMP timing / 3200 * 2933 = value you need to set.
    Safe voltage range for SOC is up to 1.2v, stay at 1.1 max, more will get you worse performance.
    Voltage for RAM may reach 1.45v on air. You should need much less.

Does the system boot longer with your issue? Sounds like a failed boot attempt when system falls back to safe settings.

Edit: 1T cmd is much better than 2T!! You should prefer 1T.
    Gear down mode enabled = 1.5T ...

BlindBison likes this.
  17. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    @Undying @386SX Yeah, I think it is dual rank memory (rank 2). What it’s rated for is 3200 MHz at 1.35V with 16-18-18-18-38 timings.

In reality what I’ve been able to achieve stable (passes DRAM Calc mem test + memtest64 + windows memory diagnostic) is:

2933 MHz + 1.335V + 15-17-17-17-37 for primary timings. All secondary timings left on auto.

I tried pushing primary timings lower, but it didn’t pass memtest64. I gave up on messing with secondary timings, but if the ones mentioned by @386SX above are meaningfully important I may tinker a bit more.

What I basically did was enable XMP (which bumps Voltage from 1.205 to 1.350) -> scale down frequency to 2933 then reduce Voltage very slightly to 1.335V (since for one I prefer to be a little bit on the safe side and two, I couldn’t pass the testers at 1.305 but could at 1.335 so I left it as there — from what I’ve read though 1.35V should be safe too if needed).

Everything else is “Auto” and I haven’t yet modified the SOC Voltage from its default (auto). I did try originally to push harder on the primary timings (since I knew I couldn’t get it to boot regardless of Voltage with anything higher than 2933 MHz on the RAM) and tinkered a bit with some of the secondary timings, but couldn’t get it stable so I sorta gave up after a bios freeze scare. Thanks for the advice!

EDIT: Oh, the only other issue I ran into is, for the DRAM Calc for Ryzen the Thaiphoon burner said my RAM was “1 die” instead of “B-die” or any of the other listed types so I wasn’t sure what to put in there and just tinkered manually as a result.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020 at 2:43 AM
  18. Freeman

Freeman Member

GPU:
    460 768Mb
    Try secondary slots not main.

So take 2 sticks out and insert both in secondarys, and then it should work. Its what I heard about ryzen.

386SX, BlindBison and Undying like this.
  19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    A2/B2 is properly configured but yeah some boards do not falow that rule.

BlindBison likes this.
  20. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Good idea, i'll give it a go after work. I'd be surprised if switching slots had an effet, but I'll see how it goes. Thanks for all your help and time,

Undying likes this.