1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[HELP] Replacement components for Vega56

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by pigbait, Feb 12, 2019.

1. pigbait

pigbait Member

GPU:
    Vega 56 8Gb
    Hello, hope everyone Is having a good day.... today I scored A vega56 in a scrap pile, I took it a part and I have looked over the PCB, and i think i might have found the reason the card was thrown away... the card is missing 2 transistors, Caps, or diodes not sure what they are and also the cap marked R47 is damages.. I have a picture of the location of these part on a card they are circled in red... I hope some one could help with getting the replacement parts i need.. thanks

[​IMG]

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Those 2 guys down there. More likely than not capacitors on +12V from PCIe. Solid caps do not generally blow up unless something very bad happens... like very high voltage. (That's pretty bad sign.)
    That "R47" is going to be inductor as part of regulator for HBM's internal voltage... 0.8V likely on output.

Now, missing capacitors on high side (+12V) is not going to prevent card from booting. Damaged/Dead inductor will prevent boot, especially this one. But if it is only damaged, it's output behavior may be pretty damaging. If it is straight out burned inside, then there is chance that replacement will lead to fix.

On other hand, burned out capacitors could have burned out traces and entire VRM for HBM is not powered at all.

Good luck.

3. Caesar

Caesar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  4. pigbait

pigbait Member

GPU:
    Vega 56 8Gb
    I guess I should mention there isnt any signs of and electrical short it looks like physical damage. Looks like someone pulled these off. Luckily the traces pads are still good.. should i just jumper the 2 capacitor pad to complete the circuit?

https://********/swzXF8b/20190212-070604.jpg[/url]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019

5. pigbait

pigbait Member

GPU:
    Vega 56 8Gb
  6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    4901 mosfet seems to be hit too. Looks like it sweated. Try to clean it with technical ethanol or similar thing, maybe it is just someone touching it.

Transistors Q310/Q302 look like they went through some hot phase too.
    - - - -
    Interestingly enough, those 2 caps just exploded, no burning.

7. pigbait

pigbait Member

GPU:
    Vega 56 8Gb
    I think it's just the picture, I dont think anything exploded. Nothing smells like burnt electronics, this looks like physical damage. Do you know the values of r47 and c103 and c104. I would like to try replacing these and see what it leads to

8. pigbait

pigbait Member

GPU:
    Vega 56 8Gb
  9. pigbait

pigbait Member

GPU:
    Vega 56 8Gb
    @Fox2232 do you have any more input? Would you know if i could just bridge where those caps go?

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    No! You can't bridge CAPs!!! They accumulate energy (charge) in between positive and negative poles. Bridging = short circuit! (Likely resulting in burn of something on MB or PCIe slot itself.)
    It is +12V PCIe input, therefore you can use any 16V+ smd caps without affecting function of things much as they are there to deal a bit with ripple.

11. pigbait

pigbait Member

GPU:
    Vega 56 8Gb
    Do the uF readings matter I thought it did..

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    They do, but not as much in that place since it is there really just for ripple. Better the PSU (lower ripple) lower capacity is needed.

13. pigbait

pigbait Member

GPU:
    Vega 56 8Gb
    @Fox2232 Well i removed 2 caps from an old GPU I had laying around and installed them at C104 and C103 and this is the results not bad as before I had nothing.. now the card shows code 43 in windows. I'm guessing its possible for r47 need replacement now?

https://********/TKRDSZ5/15501123289298110323094596839258.jpg

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Looks reasonably good. I guessed that given VRM is for HBM2 and it may be the cause. Can you get any info from GPUz? Or maybe even dump vBIOS?
    There is chance that card has been experimented on.

Those strips may hint damage to HBM2. As for "R47" inductor, I can't tell you which to get. Because there parameters matter much more.

15. pigbait

pigbait Member

GPU:
    Vega 56 8Gb
    I have flashed original bios on one of the dual bios incase it was a bad bios, will try and see about GPU-z.. I really appreciate your help

16. pigbait

pigbait Member

GPU:
    Vega 56 8Gb
    I've followed this video and all my readings are the same on my VRM

17. Kirk VO

Kirk VO New Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 Frontier
    Any update on the R47 Inductor? I accidently broke mine when installing a water block on my Vega 64 FE. If the one that you linked works I would like to know so that I can buy one as well

18. Kirk VO

Kirk VO New Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 Frontier
    I Contacted AMD and was told that the correct inductor is a MMD-05BZ-R47M-M2 made by
    MAG Layers