HELP Radeon Mod + RX5700 gone wrong.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Phaits, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Phaits

Phaits Member

GPU:
    RX 5700
    I changed a couple of settings (Shown below) and now My GPU isn't detected the fans are still working but I can't reinstall the GPU drivers.
    Settings I changed to: TFQ_DEF = 2 Tesselation_DEF = 32 Tesselation = 0x3100 Main3D_DEF = 2 Main3D = 0x3200 TextureOpt_DEF = 0x3100

I didn't save my originals I didn't know this could happen. I tried putting them to default before reinstalling drivers it didn't help. I don't know what to do help!!!

2. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4G
    Oh boy...

3. Phaits

Phaits Member

GPU:
    RX 5700
    I watched a video on youtube It didn't say anything just to change those settings and that It was safe. Please help me. Like the GPU works I got display just the pc isn't detecting and showing it as a Basic Display Driver.... replying Oh boy won't help me ;(

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti + Xtreme III
    Have you tried using DDU?

It might help to detail what you did.
    The youtube video is better than nothing.

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Before anything, see if it is a hardware/BIOS issue, or OS.
    Boot your computer with a live Linux USB, and see what GPU detects.
    If doesn't detect the correct GPU, then it is a hardware/BIOS issue. Proceed to step 1

Step 1
    Find or borrow a second GPU, a basic graphics card.
    Put it in the first PCI-E slot, and the damaged card in the second slot.
    Find the default 5700 BIOS for your model, GPU-Z database should have it.
    Download the ATI Flash tool, and first read the manual and see a tutorial.
    Flash the original BIOS on the 5700 and you should have it at default values.

Step 2 If your GPU is properly detected under Linux, then it is a OS/driver issue, so use DDU to completely remove all drives.
    Install again the WHQL driver and you should be all right.
    Good luck, and give us some feedback!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  6. Phaits

Phaits Member

GPU:
    RX 5700
    @Mufflore i tried DDU now I don't have a graphics driver at all.
    @anticupidon Is it necessary to have a second GPU because the first one works and everything just isn't being detected by windows anymore and AMD software like I'm on the PC right now and it's connected thro DP from the GPU to monitor.

7. Phaits

Phaits Member

GPU:
    RX 5700
    I changed from default settings to TFQ_DEF = 2 Tesselation_DEF = 32 Tesselation = 0x3100 Main3D_DEF = 2 Main3D = 0x3200 TextureOpt_DEF = 0x3100

8. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti + Xtreme III
    Sorry its like french to an NVidia user, was this a bios mod?

9. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    It's settings from the registry uninstalling the driver should normally clear it if not booting into safe mode ought to load without the GPU driver active allowing for a clean uninstall and no idea what got enabled here.
    Looks like some stuff from Catalyst Next so no idea why those are part of a registry tweak and some other stuff I'm not entirely certain about.

30 00, 31 00 and 32 00 tends to be various flags or settings like auto, on and off for example.
    Nothing that should affect GPU behavior but it's possible some of these were set incorrectly or without taking care of the type of registry value and setting and that broke it, not sure Radeon Mod is updated to work on the newest GPU models and drivers either.

Overrides for what I can tell is texture filter quality from normal to high, tessellation from auto to overriden and 32x max not sure on the main 3D stuff and then I think surface format optimization to off?
    (Most of which can be set directly from Radeon Settings so no need for registry tweaking in the first place.)

Safe mode, uninstall of the driver possibly just go via the device manager and remove the GPU device here and OK removing the drivers make sure the network cable is unplugged as otherwise on reboot Windows will be doing a download and install of some driver from Windows Update and you'd probably want 20.2.2 as the latest available. :)

Registry keys so no hardware issues or anything but if it's incorrect either for the value specified or type of registry key then that might be why it's breaking but again removing the drivers removes the keys or using a tool like Display Driver Uninstaller to do it for you but it shouldn't be required long as you can get into safe mode and remove the device and thus the driver this way which then defaults to Basic Display Adapter and then AMD RX 5700 once the drivers are installed again.

EDIT: To compare with NVIDIA it's a bit like setting advanced overrides globally via tools like say NV Inspector but in this case something went a bit wrong either out of date instructions for older hardware and drivers that don't quite apply or it's t he wrong format or values for the keys here.

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Radeons traditionally choked and died on tesselation factors above 16, the profiles incorporate "hacks" to limit the factor.

Mufflore likes this.

11. Phaits

Phaits Member

GPU:
    RX 5700
    In device manager it doesn't show the display driver/adapter only in system devices it shows AMD GPIO Controller, AMD PCI and AMD SMBus.
    By the way would trying a system restore from february 29th fix it?

12. Passus

Passus Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    same happened to me the other day

luckily i always back up stuff frequently so a 30 min windows reinstall and drivers setup i was good

i have never had luck with it

13. Phaits

Phaits Member

GPU:
    RX 5700
    You just factory reset and setup drivers?
    Did you do something similar or the same and what graphics card did you have?

14. Passus

Passus Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    no full windows install via usb

RX 5700 and yes pretty much the same changes

15. Phaits

Phaits Member

GPU:
    RX 5700
    I believe I fixed it I just did a system restore i had from february It took me 30 seconds I was like "that fast?'' and I believe it worked My Afterburner shows everything and I have 144hz :D and I ran a test game on rainbow six it works perfectly. Even If I solved it my self your help will help me for the future so I don't mess up again xd. Thank you for everything. By the way any tweaks/things I can use on my rx5700 thro Radeon Mod or no I just wanted to try it out.

OnnA and anticupidon like this.

16. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/GTX 1060
    Can you elaborate what that tweak was supposed to achieve?