Help put my qx6850 to use

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by §moke™, Aug 2, 2008.

1. §moke™

§moke™ Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 7900 GT 256meg
    I recently received a QX6850 Quad Core. Its a lot of processor and all I need my computer for is gaming (mainly TF2) so I dont know what to do.
    Do I sell it for a really good price and go with a Core 2 Duo + New Videocard or is it worth it to make this beast work in my aging computer for a better payoff down the road when quad core becomes mainstream?
    Maybe someone here who is up to date on the tech can give me some help in deciding. Basically, I got this chip given to me without knowning exactly what it entails. If i sell it I can use my money to upgrade more, or if i install it, ill still need a new videocard very soon (possibly 4870 or a 260).

Here is what I have right now,

EVGA 680i Mobo (updated bios)
    Intel Extreme Edition 955 3.46Ghz Dual Core CPU
    EVGA 7900 GT
    2gigs OCZ Platinum PC6400 DDR-800 RAM 4-4-4-12

Will the qx6850 perfom in that setup? will there be major bottlenecking? should I buy a whole new setup from scratch? or sell the QX6850 for other parts? I just dont want to install it and be disappointed because it is not running at spec or having to spend a ton more money to make it work right.

can someone give me advice on the optimal setup for a mobo and RAM for my QX6850? I like the sounds of the ASUS P5Q Deluxe. is it worth getting over my 680i A1?
    i also dont have a clue about what RAM to get. there are so many different kinds and i dont know what goes with my chip the best.
    Ill have about $500 to spend on a mobo and ram IF i do go that route. i would like to spend less if possible. whatever it takes to get this chip screaming. as you can tell im far behind on the new stuff these days, the last computer i built was over a year ago and things sure have changed. thanks for any answers to these questions.