HELP: Power options for easier control on desktop?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by CPC_RedDawn, Dec 26, 2020.

1. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    Hi guys, just got my new 5900X installed and everything is working perfectly fine.

However, now with these new chips its no longer needed to use the Ryzen power profiles. The chipset drivers doesn't even install the power plans so using the default Windows balanced power plans is recommended. If you use the high performance or power saver plan then you lose the ability to switch between energy savings or performance (using the slider) so using Balanced on Ryzen 5000 is the better option.

I still like to switch to better energy saving modes but having to always open up power options to simply change a slider is annoying.

There is no desktop battery icon in the taskbar and I don't seem to find anyway to enable it. Is there anyway to enable this for use on desktops? It would make switching between energy efficiency and better performance a lot easier.

47bf4eb0-8083-4a5e-b157-801849a6cccd.png

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    type power settings in search.

slider should be on the settings screen that opens.

[​IMG]

3. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080S /2080ti
    Just noticed the 'ultimate performance' setting we have now:D

4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Only way is to add a battery to the machine, ie, a UPS.

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  6. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    hmm I don't have that I just have the basic power saving, balanced, and high performance. I know there is an ultimate performance option but doesn't that have to enabled in registry?

7. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    I thought so, maybe someone will make a workaround soon or microsoft will enable a power options slider for desktop taskbar in the future. Its not a massive hassle really I just thought there would of been a way to enable it through registry, etc.

8. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080S /2080ti
    I've not enabled anything in registry, i tend to leave windows alone just using high performance as always.

9. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
  10. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700XT Gaming OC
    You mean something like this?

upload_2020-12-29_22-18-48.png

11. TheSissyOfFremont

TheSissyOfFremont Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    -Tj- likes this.
  12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    I made a shortcut from control panel, rightclick and create, but this power switcher above looks nicer :)

power.png

INSTG8R likes this.
  13. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080S /2080ti
    Game mode -off, HAGS -enabled, Power plan -ultimate, Resize bar -auto:p

14. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Theoretically speaking any programmer can implement such little app (to place an icon into system tray and pop-up a window imitating the one in OP).

PS
    I made a shortcut to legacy page with power plans radio buttons and then I assigned a keyboard combination in properties of that shortcut, so now I just press assigned combination and switch power plan - two actions.

15. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    I know about all of these types of context menu options, system tray and desktop icons, etc.

I don't think I explained well in my original post.

I am not really looking to switch power plans as that can easily be added like many of you have pointed out.

I want a flyout window to switch between energy saving, balanced, and performance. With Ryzen 5000 series you only get access to this slider when using the balanced power profile.

This is what I was looking for to flyout/popup on the desktop (or taskbar)

p3eckh8naw041.jpg

You get this on laptops as they use batteries but now with Ryzen 5000 CPU's they recommend using the balanced plan as you get access to this slider and I was just asking if there was a way to enable it on a desktop in an easier form that having to dig around windows 10's menus.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    theres a registry setting for it, don't ask me where it is though.

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Do you think that this slider does anything different from switching power plans?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/customize/desktop/customize-power-slider

* scratched my original answer *

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
    CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  18. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Doesn't the AMD_balanced give the best performance and frequency compared to HP power plan, or was just the Ryzen 2xxx/3xxx series.

You could use Processlasso to automatic switch accord to app if you wanted or Park control if you needed to control parked cores.

19. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    I just checked on my work rig, and moving slider is not linked to changing power plans, but still the description of that slider talks namely about changing power plan settings. So most probably that slider just changes some of the settings. But since this slider is enabled only in balanced power plan we can deduce that performance power plan achieves more performance gain and power saver plan achieves more battery life gain.
    I think MS just reckons the majority of users not capable to get to power plans, so they will always work in balanced power plan by default, but will have access to power slider instead of power plans.

PS I can give you an app which will monitor power settings changes (in real time).

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  20. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    I will keep looking, thanks.

I know the slider doesn't change power plans, but it does change settings within the balanced power plan it self.

Setting to "best energy savings" my 5900X drops to 3.3GHz but still boost as normal and volts and temps drop also.

Setting to the middle "better performance" position and the CPU is around 3.6GHz and boosts (this is what I use for gaming)

Setting to "best performance" position the CPU only slightly goes to 3.65GHz as a base line and boosts as normal.

I know Ryzens actually clock a lot lower than these values as can be seen in ryzen master or hwinfo. But the power plan settings do make a difference to volts and temps. I know this is all basically my OCD more than anything really as leaving it on "better performance" (middle) would be ok. I just like to have things running an optimal settings.

Yea I did think MS only enabled this slider for the more casual users who don't change plans and I think its just a leftover really from the ryzen APU's in laptops as they have easier access to the battery icon and in turn this slider. Would be nice though to have this on desktop as well then maybe my OCD wouldn't start twitching :p lol

I could take a look at that app if you don't mind, thanks :)

Things are different on ryzen 5000 (zen3) we don't have AMD power plans anymore. The chipset driver doesn't even install them and it actually removes them if they are there. I upgraded from a 3900X where I already had the power plans installed. I uninstalled the chipset driver, rebooted, and I checked I still had the power plans the uninstall process didn't remove them. Then I reinstalled the chipset driver and rebooted again and now the ryzen power plans are gone and I only have the default windows, power saver, balanced, and hp plans.

Ryzen 5000 doesn't need the power plans from AMD and AMD recommends using the balanced as it gives the best overall performance AND we get access to more features (ie this energy slider).